Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2100 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2011 7:32 AM by terrivt
terrivt Rookie 3 posts since
Feb 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 10, 2011 4:18 PM

Training while sick

I'm three weeks into training for a marathon and I have a wicked cold. I've missed two runs on my schedule this week. How many can I miss before I'll really regret it? Part of me thinks I should manage a few miles even if I'm under the weather and part of me thinks I'd be better off letting my body recover. What do others think?  As long as I don't miss the longer runs this weekend will I be fine?

• kdarold Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    1. Feb 10, 2011 4:38 PM (in response to terrivt)
    Re: Training while sick

I would really like to know the answer to this one if anybody has some advice or experience.  I'm about 7 weeks from my marathon and have a terrible cold.  I missed two days already and trying to figure out what to do about my 15 miler on Sunday. 

Every step of the Journey is the Journey
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,412 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Feb 10, 2011 6:19 PM (in response to terrivt)

General rule: You can run (up to how well you feel) if the cold is above the neck.  Below the neck, it's better to take time off to get healthy.

As for missing training, missing a few runs won't hurt much.  Take it easy if you do go out, and the first couple times after your cold.  Making the long runs is always a good idea, but . . . not if you're not feeling up to it.  It's better to get your health back.  I've known people to run themselves into pneumonia because they just had to get that long run in.  You can always adjust your schedule to get the training in.

@kdarold - Being only 7 weeks out you really don't want to force it.  You have to stay healthy to get to the start.  If you feel well enough to do 15, fine.  If not, look at the long runs you've done and what's coming up and see if you can "split the difference" on the next long run.  It can be a balancing act.

Len

Len

Sep 8, 2009
    3. Feb 11, 2011 6:58 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Thank you Lenzlaw!!  Sounds like some decent advice!  And after looking at my schedule again I realize I skipped a whole month and actually have 11 weeks - Whew!  I really appreciate your response,  Thanks again.

To Terrivt,  thanks for posting!  I hope you and me both feel better soon; then get out there and tackle our miles!  Speedy recovery!

Katie

Sep 8, 2009
    5. Feb 28, 2011 9:31 PM (in response to terrivt)

How's the crud?  I think I finally shook mine, taking some time off then slogging through 2 weeks of runs!  I'm feeling better now that I knocked a long one out of the way. 

Katie 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...