Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3318 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2011 6:40 PM by Run4Coffee RSS
flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
Jan 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 11, 2011 7:34 AM

Weight Training Routine w/ Running Schedule???

Does anyone else incorporate weight training with the running schedule?  What plan do you do?  Has it helped your progress at all?

• Angelique Simpson Pro 92 posts since
    Mar 24, 2009
    1. Feb 11, 2011 9:45 AM (in response to flyzippio)
    Re: Weight Training Routine w/ Running Schedule???

I'm a huge advocate of cross training with a running program, including weight training. I do weight training twice a week, one is a full body workout with my personal trainer, the second is upper body strength before I go to a spinning class. I also do yoga, which has really helped with my flexibility. Those workouts, plus running 3-4 times a week is a pretty full schedule. With this plan and proper eating I have increased muscle and decreased fat, not to mention the improvements in my running. You can see from my race log below, and this weekend I have a 5k where I'm hoping to finish in 24 min!

If you have the time, I say you should definitely add some weight training into your schedule.

~Angelique

------------------------------------------

http://acupofrunning.blogspot.com/

Race History
    5K - Apr 2009: 39:00
    5K - Jun 2009: 36:55
    5K - Sep 2009: 34:06
    10K - Oct 2009: 1:13:45
    5K - Nov 2009: 34:23
    5K - Feb 2010: 32:28
    Half Marathon - Apr 2010: 2:39:06
    5K - May 2010: 29:49
    10K - Jun 2010: 1:01:48

5K - Aug 2010: 27:57

Half Marathon - Oct 2010: 2:12:18

10K - Nov 2010: 52:44 (PR)

5K - Feb 2011: 23:45

Half Marathon - Apr 2011: 1:49:18

Marathon - May 2011: 3:56:05

Half Marathon - Oct 2011: 1:49:14 (PR)

5K - Nov 2011: 22:20 (PR)

Marathon - Dec 2011: 3:41:42 (PR)

• Chase Kerlin Expert 39 posts since
    Apr 20, 2008
    2. Feb 11, 2011 11:00 AM (in response to flyzippio)

I would also strongly suggest weight training in addition to your running routine.  By doing light and endurance upper body workouts, you will find this actually makes running quite a bit easier in the long run.  I lift quite a bit and do multiple different types of cross training.  Here are links to a few different types of workouts on my running website that you can do; some in your own home with your body weight without having to go to a gym or buy equipment, and some need lifting equipment.

http://www.eliterunnersworld.com/node/4197

http://www.eliterunnersworld.com/node/13

Hope this helps!  

Visit my website http://www.eliterunnersworld.com for the latest in gear, workouts, and injury advice all for free!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Feb 11, 2011 11:06 AM (in response to flyzippio)

Patrick,

You need to work your core and lower back several times a week.  I also do upper body with them, light wt and lots of reps.  You should add the Tar heel 10 miler to your list Apr 9?

• PerformanceCoachingLLC Amateur 39 posts since
    Feb 7, 2011
    5. Feb 15, 2011 6:38 AM (in response to flyzippio)

Absolutely. I have always incorporated a weight training and cross training program.

Keeping your other muscles toned not only helps you maintain a balanced muscle mass but gives your body another source of power when the legs have expired during an event.

Your lower back and core are a large part of power as well.  It's not just your legs doing all the work even though we tend to think so and focus mainly on them.

I try and lift every other day, the days I'm not running.  I find it very taxing if I lift and run in the same workout.  I used to be able to do this but I have noticed with age I have to alter my days.

Remember you are not lifting to bulk up, just turn some soft tissue into muscle.  If weights aren't your thing, try swimming or good old fashion pushups.

I truly feel my performance is enhanced by strength training. 

What do you have to loose by giving it a shot?

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011

I totally agree that strength training with weights is a must to incorporate into your running schedule.  Core, legs, and shoulders are key to running fast and long.  Not heavy weights like body builders or power lifters, instead work on higher reps and lighter weights.  Your building those fast twitch muscles.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points