Skip navigation

1004 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2011 7:05 AM by drmiles85 RSS
Rock_Stomper35 Expert 44 posts since
Oct 21, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 13, 2011 6:18 AM

Neck pain after Biking -- Help?

Greetings fellow triathletes.  I have been biking a lot of hills in preparation for IM Utah.  Whenever I finish, I have pain in the back of my neck - just under my head.  I assume its from being in the tuck-position for so long, but I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem?  Any advice is appreciated...

Rock Stomper!

Rescue 55

El Paso County S.A.R.

dive%20flag.jpg

• Marzipan16 Pro 59 posts since
    Dec 19, 2007
    1. Feb 13, 2011 2:24 PM (in response to Rock_Stomper35)
    Re: Neck pain after Biking -- Help?

Have you had a proper bike fitting?  Your seat could be too far back making your torso stretch a little more, putting to much stress on shoulders, arms, back.  Call your LBS to line you up properly.

• drmiles85 Pro 84 posts since
    Nov 5, 2008
    2. Feb 14, 2011 7:05 AM (in response to Rock_Stomper35)
    Re: Neck pain after Biking -- Help?

I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but that's normal.  A bike fit will help, but if you think about how your body is positioned for the aero position, you'll realize that it's going to take some getting used to.  One of the big reasons I was excited to get a trainer this year was so that when Spring rolled around I wouldn't hurt so much from re-acclimating to the position.  You'll build muscles like with anything else and get used to it.  From what I've heard about that course, you won't spend a ton of time aero, though... lots of hills!  Good luck!

www.twitter.com/drmiles85

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...