Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1719 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2011 6:33 AM by tracesofday RSS
tracesofday Rookie 3 posts since
Feb 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 13, 2011 1:26 PM

Question for anyone who has done/is doing C25K program...

I've lost 25 pounds and hit a plateau so someone I work with turned me on to C25K to push through it.  I'm very excited because of all the success stories I've read and I would love to be a runner but have never been able to do it well.  I'm about to leave and do W1D3 right now and everything is going great, but I'm sure like many of you did, I look ahead to the middle and later weeks and think there is no way I'll be able to do that when the time comes.  I'm just curious which day was the hardest/biggest leap from previous run and how difficult it was.  Obviously I'm just concerned about completing the program and not being on a time limit I'll keep repeating days until I complete them, but I was just wondering.  Thanks guys.

• christyb920 Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 13, 2011

i started the program 7 weeks ago. I love it. I am on wk7d2 now. The only thing i can tell you is start outside! I made the mistake of running on a treadmill for the first 6 weeks. (i was scared of the cold plus nervous) I just started outside and i only did 20 minutes running straight. I normally can do 25 on the treadmill now. But i will improve. I also have learned that you need to remember to go at a comfortable pace. Dont worry about how fast you are going. Good luck!!- christy

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I thought it was easy when I first began the c25k, It did get harder but my mind and body also got stronger. I  followed the program and only ran 3 days a week. I also repeated some days and weeks. I still continue to run 4 days a week. Good Luck!

• David-TT Pro 77 posts since
    Nov 9, 2010

I finished at the end of December.  It's a great program and I could barely make it 60 seconds when I started.  If I remember right I was really worried about the 5 minute run and then I successfully completed it and then the 20 minute run seemed like a real reach but I got through that one too.

After I finished the program and started doing long slow runs (long for me is 4 or 5 miles) is when I got over the hump losing weight.  I didn't need to lose a bunch so if I drop 5 pounds it's a major deal.  Good luck! It works!

• KristieMarie Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 13, 2011

I started the program last July and finished it in the 9 weeks.  I was never a runner and always hated running - even the first week of C25K was a struggle for me. Since I started, I've lost 55 pounds - just with running and cutting my portions - no crazy diets.  And the funny thing is, the weight loss is easier and easier and I'm losing more weight now then I did at the beginning. I am in the best shape of my adult life thanks to the program.  Just take it one day at a time - the later weeks may seem impossible now but you will have gone through all the other weeks that will get you in shape to tackle it.  Not easy though - at times I really had to push myself.  Weeks 4 and 5 seemed the most difficult for me but you just somehow get through - I know I really surprised myself!  And there are likely to be some days when you feel like you just hit a wall - there were times my legs felt so heavy, like I was running in concrete.  But you just do it!

• 44Kristi Amateur 19 posts since
    Sep 2, 2010

I started C25K in January 2010.  When I ran that first day, just the 60 seconds, I thought I will NEVER be able to do this.  It took me longer than 9 weeks (closer to 6 months) but I finished and set another goal to run 12 - 5K races in 12 months.  I have run 8 in the series and I run religiously every week.  It has changed my life.  I am on track to finish the 12 in 12 and will increase my distance to 10K this summer.

To answer you question, every week I was afraid.  Every week I said I will not be able to do this.  But I did.  I was afraid because I did not have faith in my body to carry me and I did not have faith in myself to push through, but I did.  I was reminded that I ran as a child and called it playing.  One run at a time and before you know it, you have finished what you started.

Congradulations on taking an important step.  Enjoy your run.  You can now call yourself an athlete.

Kristi

7/24/10      C25K Graduate

8/1/10        Brewhouse Triathalon Relay - 5 Mile Run

8/28/10      Baga Fest 5K

9/10/10      Greekfest 5K

10/31/10    Fearless 5K

11/7/10      World Run Day 5K

11/25/10    Thankful 5K

1/29/11      Securian Winter Carnival 5K

2/13/11      Hearts R Running Valentines 5K

3/13/11      St. Patrick's Day Healthy 5k

4/9/11        Challenge Obesity 5K

4/16/11      Run For Hunter 5K - Rock Bottom Brewery

6/19/11      Father's Day 5K Charities Challenge - That's 12 in 12!

*times vary.........some I am proud of some I am not.  But I finished every race and am faster than everyone sitting on their couch.             

Kristi

• KleinFireman Expert 45 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010

At the beginning those last 3 weeks look so hard on paper, even though I hadn't even started running yet. But as the weeks have progressed and having reached week 8, I don't know why I worried. If you stick the program you will find each week comes and goes and you think why the concern. But, if you do have trouble on one particular day or week then just redo it and not worry. There is no time limit for the amount of weeks and certainly no time or distance limit for each run. So, enjoy your time running and never be shy to ask a question on this board as everyone here has been in your shoes and are willing to help. Another good hint, find an actual 5k race and try and finish your program as close to that date and do the race. That way you have an end result for all the training you put in.

Good luck and have fun.

God created Firemen so Cops could have heroes too.

Week 1 Done, bring on Week 2.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points