Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2434 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2005 11:36 AM by tomharman
bobmasters Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 24, 2005 5:51 AM

Noisey disc brakes

I am experiencing 'rattling' noises from my 'new' Giant XTC3 disc brakes. It sounds as if the discs are skimming the pads and resonating.

I've tried adjusting (up & down)the lever travel .... but it doesn't get any better!!!

Any suggestions, as I'm getting some strange looks when I pass walkers .... guess it saves me shouting or buying a bell!!!

• RSMdave Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Oct 12, 2005 4:53 AM (in response to bobmasters)
    Re: Noisey disc brakes

Hi bobmasters,

You don't say if your brakes are mechanical or hydrolic. But if they're hydralic your calipers could be extended too far which can happen if you engage your brakes with the wheel off. An easy fix is to remove your tire, slide out the pads, (use needle nose pliers) take care of the orientation of the pads, there is an outside and inside. Take a 10mm box-end wrench and carefully wedge the calipers back in. DO NOT PRY AGAINST THE PIN IN THE CENTER of the caliper you will bend it and will need to replace it. Also while the pads are out use rubbing alcohol and clean them. Re-install the outside pad first, be sure to keep at a slight angle to get the clip to engage in the pin. Push it down till it snaps in. Finish with the inside. Replace with inside and you S/B good to go.

• RSMdave Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Oct 12, 2005 4:56 AM (in response to bobmasters)

Sorry, that last line should read:

Replace the wheel and you should be good to go.

Thanks, Everett

everett56@cox.net

• tomharman Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Nov 19, 2005 11:36 AM (in response to bobmasters)

Important Note!! I learned this the hard way and my riding-friends are to thank for educating me on this.

If you are replacing your disc pads, DO NOT USE the aftermarket pads that are intended for longer wear. They might last longer, but they will always be noisy because the pad-material is harder and made of a different composition (more metal flake). As with any disc brake application, there will almost always be some degree of light disc-rub. Long-wearing pads wil turn that light rubbing into a metalic sqeek that you will never get rid of until you go back to a standard OEM pad. If you are like me and would prefer a quieter ride without the heckling from those around you, Stay with the OEM pads (original equipment manufacturer) when it comes to replacing your pads. You might be replacing them more frequent than the longer-wearing pads, but pads are easy to replace and I think your disc will last longer with OEM too.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...