Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11964 Views 56 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2011 12:07 PM by Leadville Fan 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
Feb 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 18, 2011 6:30 AM

Do you run because you love it or for other reasons?

I've decided to ask this because last night I overheard one of my friends saying 'I don't run because I enjoy it, I run because I like the results'. I am curious whether I am alone then, because the majority of people I know are running NOW for weight loss or to get stronger, I don't hear many people say they run for the joy of it. I do have other motivation, I'm training for a race but I'm finding it to be very fun and I look forward to it. The results for me are secondary, I'm already in good shape and not really trying to lose weight. Why do you run?

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

• DaLyonman Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 20, 2009

Well I must say i do run because i enjoy it. The weight loss is nice too. Diet for me is the only way I will lose the last few pounds to get some sweet abs. But whatever gets you moving to a more active lifestyle is always a good reason.

• Lauracooks Pro 76 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009

I run for several reasons. First I am 5'4" and can eat like a linebacker. That is huge motivation. I find it promotes a healthy lifestyle and outlook. When you run you have to eat well, sleep well, not smoke, not drink too much, you get sick less and have a greater ability to use you body. Overall it makes you better able to enjoy the rest of your life. I also like the quiet time. once you get past the point where maintaining a steady pace for long periods is stressfull you are able to think or zone out depending on what you need. no phone, tv, stress. I also like to race. It is an event, exciting. Many people go through their week with the most exiting event being a new episode of a reality tv show. when you race you are exited about something you are doing.

Lauracooks

Previous

'10 Zoo Run Run 25:31

'10 Strawbeerry Classic 10k 55:06

'10 Clearwater HM 2:02:14

'10 Space Coast Marathon 4:13:10

'11 Dances With Dirt Trail Marathon 5:54:34

'11 Bolt Run 5M 44:04

Upcoming

'11 Florida Youth Ranch Marathon

'11 Trout Creek 15K

'11 John Holmes Run/Croom 15m

'11 Wisconsin Marathon

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I don't always love that act of running, sometimes I hate it but I love the feeling that I get after a run. I guess I don't like being a runner as much as I like being an after-runner.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I like how I feel during and  after a run.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008

Well, let me put it this way.  I EXERCISE because of the mental and physical benefits of being active.  But I specifically RUN because I love it.   If I didn't love it I wouldn't do it.  Period.  I'd swim or cycle or play tennis or work out in the gym or do rock climbing or stair stepping or whatever.   Life is just too short to do any strenuous activity on a daily basis that you don't enjoy doing.  I have never understood people who run and say they hate running.  They why are you doing it?  I hate swimming, for example, and guess what - I don't do it!  (That is to say swimming laps for exercise).

With running I have found my bliss.  I feel 100% alive when I'm running.  I feel like I am truly "living" to the fullest extent because my entire body is engaged.  My muscles are working, my heart is pumping, I'm breathing deeply - firing on all cylinders.  I'm taking in the sights and sounds and scents of nature all around me.  It is energizing and exhiliarating.  If running doesn't do that for you then by all means find something that does.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

I run because I enjoy running -- except when injured, but that is part of running  -- and I appreciate the difference in the way I feel when I run.  Not a "runner's high," or the post-run flush of feeling good, but the overall improvement in attitude and well-being.

I run because I like being around other runners, especially before, during and after races.

I run because it's who I am.  Everyday I lace up my shoes, I chose to run.  And I chose to be a runner.

Run long!

Surfing Vol

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• racebug313 Amateur 25 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010

I run because I love it.  I love the clarity I feel in my head, the fact that my body is moving, I love being outside and doing something great.  The running community is amazing, on forums like this and even on the streets- the wave or nod you get/give when passing a fellow runner.  And I agree with Surfing Vol- the race atmosphere before, during and after just elevates everything else!

I admit, I didn't always feel this way.  I only started running a few months ago for something different to do outside of the confines of the gym and to try and understand the enjoyment in it, since I didn't prior to that.  Taking it outside and letting myself just enjoy it sure worked. Boy do I love it now!  I am set to participate in a half next weekend, and I've signed up for my first full in Chicago in October and I am just beyond excited!

Keep enjoying it, there is always more road ahead

You have a choice- you can throw in the towel, or use it to wipe the sweat off your face

Crossed the line...

Komen Race for the Cure 10K: 1:08

Spartan Challenge 5K + obstacles: 33:05

Creaky Bones 5K: 30:59

St Pete Turkey Trot 10K- 1:07

Gasparilla Half Marathon (1st!)- 2:42

Coming up:

Oct-       Chicago Marathon

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009

at first, i started running to diversify my cardio before weight training. now i run because i love it and because i want to accomplish some different fitness goals.

i've been weight training for 8 years and don't really have an interest in pushing myself to the next level of fitness competitions. but i wanted to achieve some different goals. so i said 'why not running?' once i built up the nerve and training to sign up for my first race, i've been hooked ever since. i like running. it's kinda like golf, in the sense that you can do it alone and compete with yourself more than anything.

ETA: and another thing...running keeps me sane. if i'm not running, i tend to fret over things... i get anxious more often, and i'm not the happiest person. running kinda regulates all of that. when i'm grumpy, my boyfriend asks, "have you been running lately?" lol it's like he just knows i need to do it for his sanity and mine.

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

====================================

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

Dec 1, 2009

with regard to the circle of friends who don't see things your way, i know exactly what you mean! in one of my philanthropic organizations, i don't talk about my running that much because some people simply don't understand. but i found one person in my org who runs half marathons! and she's twice my age!!! we really get into the zone and talk about her training and her upcoming races (she attends races in other states). it's much more enjoyable talking about it with someone who 'gets it'.

Completed Races 2012:

Upcoming Races 2012:

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010

More than one answer for me.

I run generally speaking because of improved fitness and quality of life.

Then again, I run the way I do because I must love to compete and I must love the sense of accomplishing something relative to my peers and I cannot ignore the fact that there must be a small component that which demonstrates I'm a bit screwy in the head.  Dreamstate has it keeping her sane;  I have it proving I'm not.

I do think people who really get involved in the "racing" aspect of running world will tend to stick with it longer than those who are just out for a new years resolution stroll.  (Anyone else notice the increased activity on this board since Jan 1 or is it just my imagination?)  I just think the running for time things become goals in and of themselves and can trump the "improved fitness" game.  But, maybe I'm wrong.  Everyone's different.

Dec 1, 2009

No, I totally agree. I think that the goals evolve. If a person starts off running to improve their fitness level, it's only a matter of time before they actually accomplish that goal. Eventually, that person will get in shape, a bit toned, and maybe drop a few pounds. So, as it resides in some of us, we ask "what's next?"  For some, it's a matter of covering more distance while others work to cover more distance in less time.

Completed Races 2012:

Upcoming Races 2012:

• Lauracooks Pro 76 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009

I agree, racing always refocus's me and makes me push the next workout harder. And not skip.

Lauracooks

Previous

'10 Zoo Run Run 25:31

'10 Strawbeerry Classic 10k 55:06

'10 Clearwater HM 2:02:14

'10 Space Coast Marathon 4:13:10

'11 Dances With Dirt Trail Marathon 5:54:34

'11 Bolt Run 5M 44:04

Upcoming

'11 Florida Youth Ranch Marathon

'11 Trout Creek 15K

'11 John Holmes Run/Croom 15m

'11 Wisconsin Marathon

• Runningcolorado Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 4, 2009

ALattaCrazy- The answer to your question for me is not or it's both.  I started running to lose weight after having our first child years ago.  Somewhere along the line I fell in love it.  I do it to stay healthy and sane.  I cannot tell you the number of problems I've worked through on my morning runs.  It just seems to open up the mind like nothing else I know.  I can't for the life of me understand why others don't love it, and they can't understand why I do.  I run in the snow, rain, heat, cold, dark, light and all in between.

I love the way I feel when I'm running and when I'm done.  I heard that "you're either running away from something or toward something".  That's exactly right.  I'm running away from heart disease, diabetes, cancer, being overweight, etc., and I'm running toward a longer life, a healthy BMI and good health.

I loved reading all the great reasons others love running posted here.

Live, love, run

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points