Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

37776 Views 200 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2011 10:08 AM by Sarah N1 RSS 1 2 3 ... 14 Previous Next
gem66 Pro 96 posts since
Nov 12, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 19, 2011 7:54 PM

C25K starting Monday, Feb. 28th...

Who's in?

This will be my second time doing this. Loved it the first time! A great, great program. I have taken 6 months off from running and am looking forward to getting back at it! Hope to see you then!!!

BTW this is the friendliest, most supportive group!!!

• faithintx Legend 250 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    1. Feb 25, 2011 5:55 AM (in response to gem66)
    Re: C25K starting Monday, Feb. 28th...

HI...I'm thinking about getting back into C25K also. I loved it while I did it, and almost finished. But, nursing school happened- and life as I knew it ceased to exist.

I'm disappointed that I didn't follow through. I had even signed up for (and paid for!) a 5K that I didn't run. I didn't even get the t-shirt. lol

All I do now is sit and study (or drive from campus to campus) 7 days a week. All day. Every day.

Sooooo.....with a mid-term, a final exam, pharmacology proficiency testing, and an anatomy lab practical this week, I'm not sure this week is a good time to start back up again! But I'd like to try. I felt so good physically when I ran (ok, jogged) and I need an outlet!

Completed - W3D3

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't.....either way, you're right.

Do what is unnatural, until it becomes natural.

Medical fact - if you don't use it, you'll lose it.

• running4four Amateur 9 posts since
    Feb 25, 2011
    2. Feb 25, 2011 6:36 AM (in response to faithintx)

I want to start on the 28th too!  I'm different from you two in that I've NEVER done this!  Except for running after my three kids, I've been pretty sedentary for the past 10 years.  My youngest (and caboose) is 20 months old, and I REALLY want to do something to get myself in shape.  Running is something that has always intrigued me and has been that "thing" that I've thought I wanted to do, but just really never had the confidence in myself that I COULD do it.  I've studied the Cool Running website, and the training program for C25K, and I'm thinking, if I can't do it following this program, then it's not "do"-able.  So...good, bad or ugly, I'm gonna give it my best shot.  My (pitiful) excuse has always been that there was no time to workout.  My plan is to be up at 5:00 a.m. to do my workouts so that I'm ready to do the "getting kids off to school" routine at 6:00.  As my workouts get longer, I will adjust my start time.

I do have a question (probably silly):  I think I will train for time (as opposed to distance).  Should I get a stopwatch to keep track of walk/run time?  Or just count the seconds in my head?  I want to be accurate, but it seems like it would be hard to reset a stop watch over and over during the workout.  See?  I'm really clueless...but I REALLY want to do it and do it right.  Also, my desire is to train outside.  Is that a good idea, or is it better for a beginner to start out on a treadmill?  Any advice/tips/encouragement would be appreciated!

Jun 16, 2010
    3. Feb 25, 2011 6:59 AM (in response to running4four)

Running4four - here's my thoughts on your post:

This program is extremely doable. If you struggle with a week, then just repeat the week. I've found that on the weeks where you do pretty close to the same thing, the first day might be a huge challenge but the second time you do it is much easier. With this program, it really is more of a mental thing than a physical thing. You can go farther than you think you can. It's a huge boost when you are able to do the very thing that you think you couldn't do.

I started out running for time, too. It all depends on what you want to spend. You could just use your watch or cell phone, once you get past the 60 and 90 second intervals (unless you have a second hand). I bought a Polar F6 heart rate monitor off of Amazon for around $80, just so I could keep an eye on my heart rate but also because you can program your age, weight, etc into the monitor and it will tell you how many calories you burned during your run. It has a watch and chest strap. There are others, too. A friend who is a runner recommended this pedometor thingy that tells you how far you go and the time and such (but that was after I already bought my Polar). I think it's easier having SOME kind of device. A lot of people here talk about a Garmin GPS but right now, it's out of my price range. Having a toy makes it a little more fun. But that's just me.

When I moved up to the quarter mile + distances, I liked jogging at the track because it was mindless to keep track of the distance and I could "see" how far to go, as opposed to not having a visual marker for the finish line when just timing myself. When I went to the track, I learned that I was running the time, but falling short on the distance. I think I was at a 13.5 minute mile pace. Which was a little discouraging, because one of my goals was to run a race without stopping and I didn't want to come in last place! (vanity, vanity!!!!! lol) Anyway, I guess it just depends.

I ran on a treadmill inside for awhile when I was trying to get back into it. It is FAR easier than running outside! But, if you want to run a race, then outside is better. I like the idea of running a race because it is something that I never thought I could do. I will be 46 this year, and it's not too late. I just didn't want to get beat by Grandma because there are some 60 year olds here that can do a 9 or 10 minute mile. They say that a 10 minute mile is an 'average' runner's pace. I have to admit that I was a part of a discussion board here, and most people were faster than me and I let it get in my head a little. I think I'm over it now - I just want to finish!

The best thing I did - and the best advice I think I could give - is to go to a running store and get fitted for some running shoes. It is worth it because it will help you keep from getting shin splints or other type of injury, which it sounds like you can't afford to be immobile or hobbled! I learned that I am an over pronater, which mean that my ankle turns in slightly when I run. I also learned that when I go from sitting to standing, my shoe size increases an entire size because of my arch flattening out. I had always worn size 8.5 Nikes, but I ended up getting a size 10 Brooks Accelerator! But I tell you what - it really changed my life. lol  It made a huge difference on my legs not being tired, I NEVER got shin splints or any leg injuries like many of the other C25Kers in my group did, and it was like walking on sunshine. Best $100 bucks I've ever spent. I look at it like health insurance.

If you do nothing else - get fitted for some shoes if possible. And also, get wicking running socks. Target has wicking running clothes for pretty cheap. I was just wearing cotton t shirts and shorts, and they would get so wet and heavy and uncomfortable. It made a huge difference to get out of the cotton. less chafng! lol

Ok, so now I'm really late for school. I hope this helped you.

YOU REALLY CAN DO THIS!!!!!!

Completed - W3D3

Feb 25, 2011
    4. Feb 25, 2011 8:57 PM (in response to faithintx)

Thanks so much for all the info....the more I can get, the better prepared I will feel.  I'm actually getting excited about this!

In the time since my original post, I have found out about podcasts specifically set up to follow the C25K program, that direct you through each workout.  I eventually want to get some type of device that will record and track distance, calories, etc., but I think for now, I'm going to try the podcasts.  I will download them each week to my blackberry.  They play music almost continuously, plus a voice prompts you when it's time to change from walking to running and back and forth.  That way I won't have to worry/think about it, because everything is already calculated out.  I'll just follow the voice prompts.  Plus, they are FREE!  Will also look into getting some good shoes.

Thanks again!  BTW...I LOVE your quote at the bottom of your posts.  SO true!

• ADRun4Life Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011
    5. Feb 26, 2011 12:38 AM (in response to gem66)

I'm in!!  I did this before but never finished. Looking forward to finishing, getting healthier and getting in shape. I need to be held accountable!!

Jun 16, 2010
    6. Feb 26, 2011 5:22 AM (in response to running4four)

Ok, so here's how spontaneous  I am... I was at school all day in the library yesterday, and around 5:30 I decided that I was going to go home and eat.  I walk out to the parking lot and noticed that there were only 2 cars in it - mine, and the security guard's car. So I throw my bookbag, phone, and keys in the car, and do Week 1 Day 1 - right there on the spot, in the parking lot! LOL! Hey, with nursing school, you have to take what you can get as far as time and energy go!

I had thought about starting in week 3 but changed my mind and decided to go with week 1. Glad I did. I am going to PROMISE myself not to take myself too seriously and just do what I can, when I can, and not put pressure on myself about the running like I did last time. I have a target in mind for a 4th of July 5K, but I'm going to even keep that loosely in my mind. Nursing school is totally different from other college programs, and there's enough pressure on me as it is.

So, I'm planning to do W1D2 on Sunday, and then shoot for W1D3 on Wednesday or possibly Friday.

@Running4 - I forgot about the podcasts...I never used them but other people on the board did. I think there are several different ones to choose from. You go, girl!

@AD - let's do this!

Completed - W3D3

• hpeteachny Amateur 19 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011
    7. Feb 26, 2011 7:23 AM (in response to gem66)

I just stumbled upon this forum......I AM SO IN!  This is an incredible way to support each other!!!!!  I am psyched to start.

"You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the  years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it  always comes back to where it started. It comes down to  self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement."
    - Steve Prefontaine

Jun 16, 2010
    8. Feb 26, 2011 8:35 AM (in response to hpeteachny)

Way to go Teach! Having people to yak with on here, who are trying to do the same things at the same time as you, is part of what makes it fun. It can be discouraging when your home peeps think its dumb to run.

Completed - W3D3

• Sarahneeds2run Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011
    9. Feb 26, 2011 11:42 AM (in response to gem66)

OK! I am in too!! I have never done this before or anything like it. I have tried to start running on my own a few times over the years but always gave up and have never entered a race. This is all about to change because my goal for this year is to do a triathlon. This will be quite challenging for me also seeing as how I am a mother of 6...(yes, six. and my youngest is 9 weeks old) AND I'm a full-time student. BUT, last year before I got preggo I had started working out at the gym and dieting and lost 20 lbs. I have managed to keep off 15 of those pounds, but I would like to lose 20 more by this summer. SO ARE WE GOING TO DO THIS OR WHAT? I'M ready! Let's go!

• Dkitten Amateur 18 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011
    10. Feb 26, 2011 2:30 PM (in response to gem66)

I'm excited - this sounds good!  Hoping to get some running shoes tomorrow if "mommy" will float me the funds til next month.  I am very spontaneous but if I sign up for a challenge I'm usual good to stick to it!

I used to LOVE to run when I was young and did it so easily.  Time has taken its toll on my body thought I'm not too overweight or out of shape for my age.  Finishing my last 5lbs to goal on WW and think this should help to give me a boost and let me feel better!

Glad I stumbled on this site and board!

Deborah in NJ

P.S. is it okay just to start on the treadmill?  We've still got cold temps and snow on the ground here!

Jun 16, 2010
    11. Feb 26, 2011 2:49 PM (in response to Dkitten)

Welcome Sarah and Dkitten....

@Dkitten - My philosophy is get started however you can! But just know that if/when you decide to take it outside, it will be a little harder than the treadmill was. Also - if you do a treadmill, an old trainer of mine told me to set the incline at 1% because it most closely mimics the road.

@Sarah - I'm looking to lose 20lbs too...but I'm older and it prolly won't be as easy for me as it will be for you! I don't have kids at home to chase around and my bum is usually attached to a desk somewhere! Any exercise is better than none, though!

Completed - W3D3

Feb 25, 2011
    12. Feb 26, 2011 4:25 PM (in response to faithintx)

WOW!!!!!!!  This is the first chance I've had to look at the board since last night!  You are all getting me really excited about this!  Glad there are even more of us to support each other!

People are telling me to be careful because the risk of injury is greater with running.  Is this true?  Are there tips to follow to avoid it?  I would say that I'm about 30 pounds overweight....would this contribute to risk of injuring the knees/ankles?  Trying not to let it deter me from what I really want to do, so any advice is ALWAYS welcome!  Love, love, love to get all of your perspectives!!!

@Faith:  YOU GO, GIRL!!!  Do it when you can! 

Feb 26, 2011
    13. Feb 26, 2011 5:35 PM (in response to running4four)

Hey running4four, I would say just start out slow, and make sure you do gentle stretching after you finish each run.

Feb 26, 2011
    14. Feb 26, 2011 5:57 PM (in response to gem66)

Well, the truth is I am having a really hard time getting off my butt here. I have a million excuses(an 8 wk old, cold weather, homework, etc.), but I'm sick of excuses. So, that's why I'm here. I need some encouragement and accountability. I'm going to go buy some "running" pants tomorrow morning because I know that will help me. and I am registering for a 5k near me that is on March 27th! I'm going to do this, AND I KNOW YOU ALL CAN TOO!

1 2 3 ... 14 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...