Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1060 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2011 2:13 PM by FirstHalf77 RSS
FirstHalf77 Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 21, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 21, 2011 9:30 AM

One month till National Half in DC (my first) - what should I be doing?

Hi all,

Just joined this forum today.  Looking for advice and community (my non-running co-workers are sick of me and my newly 'one-note' conversations).

I'm one month away from my first half-marathon (National Half in DC, 3/26)

My farthest race prior has been 10K. I've been following Hal Higdon's intermediate training program since Thanksgiving and hit 12 miles (indoor track, I'm a cold and windy weather wimp) at a pace I'll be happy with on race day (understanding conditions won't be indoor track like). 

Getting a little anxious, a little excited.  Just wondering how to make the best use of my last month of training without risking injury or burn out. Would love any/all suggestions and advice. I've followed the program pretty much to the letter on my own.   Hit a wall 2 weeks ago (maybe just tired?) but am back on track.

Also -- have found running to be a little bit isolating as my distances have increased.   So it would just be great to chat with anyone else who is training on their own, training for their first half or the running the DC race.

Thanks,

Rhonda

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

Rhonda,

Stay the course, keep on the plan.  Try to get outside for some of your runs.  My A race for this spring is coming Mar 20, so I am hitting it hard, Long runs left for me.  Half Marathon trail run this week-end, 2 hours on Mar 4, and 8 miles on 12 Mar.  Good luck

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010

I agree - start working some outside time.  Most of the snow should be gone shortly and you'll need time to adjust to street running vs treadmill running.  Other than that - just keep doing what you're doing.  Good luck!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,324 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

First, of course, follow the plan.  Get outside if only to figure out what to wear for the race.  Hopefully you've been working on hydration and/or fueling and have a plan for handling that during the race.  As for your bad run - "there will be bad days".  But you've put that behind you so forget about it.

Look around for running groups after the race that you can train with sometimes.  You may find some at the race expo and at local running stores.  If you're in the DC area, I know from friends who live there that there are quite a few.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points