Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

802 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2011 1:57 PM by Joseph Tree RSS
ksuliz04 Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 21, 2011 4:48 PM

Will I be ready for a half next month?

Hi everyone,

I'm still a fairly new runner. A little background on me... I'm almost 25, and I actually began running (for the first time in my life) in January 2010 because I decided on a whim to run the ING Georgia Half Marathon with a few friends of mine. I used the Hal Higdon beginner's half training plan. Because I was basically starting from nothing, every training run felt like a success, and the race itself was a great experience. My time was 2:18:34, which I was happy about. Since then, I've only run a handful of 5Ks, race-wise.

This January, I began training again for the same half, which will be on March 20th. Training this year has honestly been horrible for me, mostly because I have struggled constantly with negative self-talk. I run between a 9 and 10 minute mile, but can't seem to push myself to do long runs lately. One reason is because I have had frequent pain in my lower, inner calves. I got new shoes (Asics Gel Cumulus 12), and am wondering if that may be the reason. Last year I trained and ran in Asics Gel Nimbus 11s... so maybe the new shoes are less supportive.

Anyway, my longest run thus far has been 5.5 miles. The longest run I did last year prior to the half was 7.3 miles, and that was on a treadmill. I have been running outside much more frequently this year. Do you think that there is any way that I can be ready for the half in time, and does anyone have advice on how to combat my internal negativity? I am so tired of doubting myself, and really miss enjoying my daily runs.

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    1. Feb 21, 2011 8:22 PM (in response to ksuliz04)
    Re: Will I be ready for a half next month?

You should be fine.  You don't have to set a PR for the race to be a success.  Just do your best - from your description, you're in pretty good shape already.  Even though you haven't put in the miles that you did in the past you do have the experience of running a half before.  Don't be scared and stop talking to yourself.  :-)

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    2. Feb 22, 2011 1:57 PM (in response to ksuliz04)
    Re: Will I be ready for a half next month?

I agree.  You're young, resiliant and not really too far out of prime condition.  If you approach it with a good attitude and realistic expectations, you should do just fine.  Don't stress, do have fun.  Don't kill yourself trying to meet some statistical standard of what milage needs to be accomplished.

Listen to your body and ease off if you feel like something's beginning to hurt.  Run gently and give yourself good recovery time.  It's just a race and you will likely be running for years. Have fun!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points