Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

7392 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2011 7:30 AM by herbert2 1 2 Previous Next
FranklinWhiddon Rookie 6 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 26, 2011 4:43 AM

NFHS illegal bat player called out....why?

Under NFHS rules, a player was called out for using an illegal bat (not on the approved list).

Umpires had already checked the bats before the game AND this was one of the bats the umpires certified as okay to use in the game.

Player came to the plate and singled. Opposing manager called time to question the bat. Umpire called player out for using said bat.

Is this the correct ruling since the umpires had inspected and certified the bats were legal based on current rules and moratoriums?

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Feb 26, 2011 6:01 AM (in response to FranklinWhiddon)
    Re: NFHS illegal bat player called out....why?

FranklinWhiddon wrote:

Under NFHS rules, a player was called out for using an illegal bat (not on the approved list).

Umpires had already checked the bats before the game AND this was one of the bats the umpires certified as okay to use in the game.

Player came to the plate and singled. Opposing manager called time to question the bat. Umpire called player out for using said bat.

Is this the correct ruling since the umpires had inspected and certified the bats were legal based on current rules and moratoriums?

Yes, the rule states the penalty for using an illegal bat.

The rule does not state an exception for an umpire missing an illegal bat - in fact in the rule there is a note:

I have the NFHS Softball Rule here not the Baseball rule, but I'm pretty sure it's similar..

"NOTE, Although umpires have the duty and right to inspect equipment, the responsibility for proper equipment rests with coaches, student-athletes and their parents/guardians."

oops

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Feb 26, 2011 7:28 AM (in response to HugoTafurst)

That sentence is not in the 2010 baseball rules.

The 2010 rules require the umpire to inspect equipment and the head coach to verify that the players are in compliance with the rules.

The only thing close is "Any questions regarding legality of a player's equipment shall be resolved by the umpire-in-chief."

• TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Feb 26, 2011 4:42 PM (in response to FranklinWhiddon)

Yes it is.   There is no telling where bat came from after Umpires inspection.  It could have been hidden at time of inspection.  Batter called out and I believe ejected, along with the .Coach although not entirely sure of the last part.   TM

May 25, 2007
    4. Feb 27, 2011 5:36 PM (in response to Rich_Ives)

Rich_Ives wrote:

That sentence is not in the 2010 baseball rules.

The 2010 rules require the umpire to inspect equipment and the head coach to verify that the players are in compliance with the rules.

The only thing close is "Any questions regarding legality of a player's equipment shall be resolved by the umpire-in-chief."

OK, ignore the NFHS softball quote.

I'm still thinking the philosophy is the same as far as answering the OP, that being that just because the umpire's may have missed an illegal bat, does not negate the penalty for using one.

oops

May 25, 2007
    5. Feb 27, 2011 6:33 PM (in response to HugoTafurst)

I agree.  The rules do say the UIC havs the final say on the bat too.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    6. Mar 1, 2011 8:06 AM (in response to FranklinWhiddon)

I guess my question would be something like this.

Jimmy has a bat and he's not sure if it's legal or not so during the pre-game equipment inspection he hands the bat to the Umpire and asks if it's legal.

The Umpire (who's probably a BU) looks at it and says it's OK to use.

Jimmy trots to the plate in the first inning and laces a double up the gap.

The opposing manager asks for time and asks the PU to inspect the bat.

The PU says the bat is illegal and tosses Jimmy and his manager.

Is that really the right thing to do?

Maybe the right thing to do is toss the BU who said the bat was OK !!!  

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    7. Mar 1, 2011 9:29 PM (in response to Lou_B)

I have instructed our group to check together. If they add a bat after our inspection we can't control that.

Michael S. Taylor

May 25, 2007
    8. Mar 2, 2011 5:30 AM (in response to Michael_Taylor)

Michael_Taylor wrote:

I have instructed our group to check together. If they add a bat after our inspection we can't control that.

I was going to respond with a comment similar to that.

To be honest, I thought that having umpires check equipment as a team was SOP.

I'm in the same state as Lou and all the FHSAA clinics I have been to have mentioned checking bats as a team.

(I will qualify that by saying that the FHSAA clinics I've been to were Softball clinics)

oops

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    9. Mar 2, 2011 6:52 AM (in response to HugoTafurst)

Last year the state interpreter said to check in teams, this year he said he didn't care. We decided as a group to do it in pairs. That way you don't have a BU saying a bat is good and then the PU tossing it during the game. Also, if there is a question they can discuss it together.

Michael S. Taylor

May 30, 2007
    10. Mar 2, 2011 8:05 PM (in response to Michael_Taylor)
    Not trying to stir the pot, but are we saying that if an illegal bat appears after the umpire inspection, the only penalty is to toss the bat?   Someone should be held responsible, dont you think?   TM
    May 25, 2007
    11. Mar 2, 2011 9:13 PM (in response to TheMouth__1)

No.

Some are saying that if the bat was presented and apreoved by one of the umpire crew in the pre-game inspection you can't punish the batter if another umpire rules it illegal later in the game.

NOT the same as a bat that only appeared later on.

May 30, 2007
    12. Mar 3, 2011 8:33 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)
    Ok Rich, that makes a lot more sense.  Ty    TM
    May 25, 2007
    13. Mar 4, 2011 6:44 PM (in response to Rich_Ives)

Rich_Ives wrote:

No.

Some are saying that if the bat was presented and apreoved by one of the umpire crew in the pre-game inspection you can't punish the batter if another umpire rules it illegal later in the game.

NOT the same as a bat that only appeared later on.

and besides that, the penalty (in NFHS - which is what we are talking about) is not that the bat is simply thrown out.

oops

• BHanlon Pro 82 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    14. Mar 5, 2011 1:45 PM (in response to HugoTafurst)

Umpires do not certify equipment. They are instructed to do a pre-game inspecition as preventive maintenance to look for illegal equipment but the onus is still on the team not to bring illegal equipment into the game. At the plate conference the umpires also are instructed to ask the coach if players are properly equipped and wait for an acknowledgement that they are.  To address an earlier thread in this post the penalty is the batter is out, no automatic ejections for illegal equipment.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...