Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

32539 Views 279 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2011 1:09 PM by JohnMichalicka Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 Previous Next
  • candyoli Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 11, 2010

Had a great time. I walked the 5k.  I'm looking forward to actually running it next year! Great freebies for after race too!

• Flchick1 Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 15, 2010

This was my first Gasparilla race. I did the 5 3k. The organization was wonderful for both the expo and the race itself. I will ditto the complaint about the shirt sizes though. I got and extra small and it fits more like a medium. Hopefully it will shrink a bit. Otherwise it was a wonderful, scenic run with ample water stations. I only wish the start time for the 5 3k had been a little bit earlier since by 9am the sun was already blazing!! I know, I know, it's FL and many others are still freezing at this point, but still....it was HOT!! Many thanks to the organizers for a great experience!! I'm looking forward to participating again next year!

• Redfishsix Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010

My husband and I ran the 1/2 marathon for the first time this year.  I loved the event.  We ran Disney's Half this year...what a better value at the Gasparilla.  We loved the race, the after party and food was awesome.  We enjoyed the area.  Channelside was a great relaxing environment.  The only thing that was a little challenging was making the turn onto the bridge at davis island.  A runner in front of me was herded into the corner/curb of the bridge, a little dangerous in the dark.  I loved the pirates at the end of the race (didn't even get a glimpse of mickey mouse).  The crowds and high school bands were enthusiastic.  All of the volunteers were friendly.  The kids especially!!!  Whenever I thanked them for working the race, they thanked me for running!  Awesome Job!!

• dizzypanda Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

This is only my 2nd 1/2 marathon but I thought it was great.  As far as the race and the expo goes it was very well organized.  There were a lot of water stops and the support crew were great.  The course was open and fast.  I couldn't believe how nice the medal was at the finish!!  Overall, it was a great experience. Would have loved for the weather to have been about 10 degrees cooler but what can you do about that?  Kudos for planning ahead and having the water hoses coming back.  I will definitely plan on doing the race next year and also having my children do the races on Saturday.  Loved that the 1/2 was on Sunday also.

• mcrunner26 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008

We had a great time as usual that is why we've been coming back for about ten years. We have run the Hops marathon the Jeep challenge but by far our favorite is the 15K. The only problem I encountered was no shirts in my size 2X but it happens to me a lot so I'm used to it. I ran past the fellow that collapsed and as a survivor of 2 heart procedures I have been praying for him every since and would encourage anyone that is so inclined to pray for him also. See you next year!!!

• kimmycu Rookie 8 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008

This was my 5th half marathon and all I can say is AWESOME! The whole event was very well put together. The kids cheering were fantastic and so enthusiastic. The music, food, entertainment and beautiful views were above any big race I've attended. I don't think I've ever had so many water station opportunies!! There seemed to be one every mile! Also...having pacers there was  great...I saw Marcella, who I ran Sarasota full mary with in 2008...what a great surprise to see her again!! And I agree with Redfish...Disney doesn't hold a candle to Gasparilla!

• Rich Cantwell Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 17, 2011

This is the third time I have run the 5K but have not run it in several years.  I loved the event and thought it was well organized, and event staff/volunteers were great.  I very much enjoyed the results statistics and the web site.   This event was a lot of fun and I will be running it every year from here on.  Thanks to all the sponsors and the City of Tampa for a job well done.

• LEGAL_DOG Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 2, 2009

First time running a 1/2 marathon...THANK YOU TAMPA!  I've caught the bug!!

• murdockt Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 12, 2008

This is the third time that I have completed the half marathon in Tampa. For the price, it is well worth it. The runners are very nicely treated. If I had any complaints, it is that the two turns near the beginning of the race were very tight and the second water table on Davis Island was extremely short. By the time I could get over to that side of the road, I was past the water table. Otherwise, it is a very well done race and expo, and one race I would like to do again.

• MichiganBob Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 7, 2010

I did the 15-K from 2000 - 2004...then went with the 5-K in '06 '10 and this year since moving to S.W. Florida from Boston via Michigan.

A wonderfully organized race.  High marks to the race director and all the volunteers.  It's similar to a race in my hometown of Grand Rapids, MI (5th-3rd River Bank Run)  We highly recommend it.  This year it's May 14th.  A 25-K...10-K...and 5-K.

The Tampa community comes out to cheer the runners.  The Expo is outstanding.  Five stars.

We stayed at the Marriott Waterside.  See Margie in the lobby pub.  She started when the hotel opened in 2000.  What a perfect location to the convention center and the race start/finish!

A bonus for my wife was dinner at Bern's Steakhouse on Thursday and shopping at the International Plaza on Friday.  She bought 3 pairs of shoes.  Three!  We had lunch at the Capital Grille.

We can't wait for the 35th running of the Gasparilla Races.

Regards,  Michigan Bob and Saint Lynne

• JacindaD Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 7, 2009

This was my first time running a 5k and i thought the event was well organized.  The expo was well done. 

I would definitely do it again.

• RAV7 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

Like always I was hyped and ready to go, What a great race ! Unfortunately I was disappointed because of the runners who were walking and getting in the way. There should be road laws. If you're going to walk or jog really slow then you should move to the right or have some kind of markers stating so. Cain't wait for next Year !!!

• EVallone Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 22, 2011

PERFECT location, lots of volunteers, and a great EXPO. Parking was not an issue, which is always a plus!

I ran the 5k and it was extremely crowded the entire race from start to finish. It also had a later start time....wish it was earlier, however I understand the 15k was before the 5k.

• Lilliam Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

Okay I had a wonderful time, but I still can't found my time...so I'm very very sad about that..oh well I think that my electronic thin didn't work

• HarrietA Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

this was my first...loved the 8K!  I agree that there should be a designated lane for walkers and joggers...or maybe people doing less than 15  minute miles could have their start time delayed by 10 or 15 minutes to allow the real runners to get going faster.  Overall it was a woinderful event, and I will definitely do it again next year!

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...