Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

32526 Views 279 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2011 1:09 PM by JohnMichalicka Go to original post 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 Previous Next
  • Sunshine556 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 20, 2011

This was my first 5K, and I enjoyed it. I'll be back next year. But since it's my first I don't have any other races to compare it to......

• runs for chocolate Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 8, 2011

great pace runner(Amy),beautiful course for 15k,only two sugestions for next year...host hotel did not have breakfast items available early enough(restaurant opened at 6:30 for a 7am start time)/no fridges in rooms(even if you had brought food items with,you needed a cooler)  couldn't host hotels have something ready for runners(grab and go like yogurt or fruit and bagels for sale? )and how about a tech shirt ? otherwise well organized,fun run,I'll be back!

• ChrisGarges Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007

This is my second year at Gasparilla.  What a great event, very well organized and plenty of options.  The expo is great, many nice vendors.  The weekend revolves around running...in warm weather....in the winter time.  What more can you ask for?  The majority of the courses utilize the same route which is out and back along Bayshore drive.  The sunrise overlooking the bay for the half marathon was incredible.

• cortneyhinton Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 22, 2010

This was my 5th Half Marathon, and the best one yet!!! My favorite part was the High Schoolers and Elementary groups lined up along the course to cheer us on! Thank you for an amazing race!

• drholley Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

This was my 4th 5K. It had the worst start with that bottleneck near the finish line for the 15K. My son-in-law, my daughter and I all were registered and had our Bibs on the front of our T shirts but none of our times showed up in the Tribune.My Bib # was 20309. Anyway to find out our times?

• ladybella1220 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 19, 2011

This is my 7th year at Gasparilla.  I think it was a little better organized this year.  The only thing I would suggest is to please try to have walkers stay to one side.  Maybe have some people every so feet telling them to just move over.  It was overall the best race.

• Keith Carter Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007

I ran the 15K and 5K.  The 15K was enjoyable but I can't say the same for the 5K. I've ran many, many races and I have to say the 5K at Gasparilla was one of least pleasant.  I don't think there is anything the race organizers can do about inconsiderate runners/walkers. When projected times are clearly posted and people who are obviously much slower insist on moving to the front of the pack, it makes it difficult on every runner who take notice of where they should be staging before a race.  I will not enter another Gasparilla 5K for this reason - there was really no place to run and with the number of people entered, it was the worst 5K I've ever participated in!

• EMSflyboy76 Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 28, 2008

Not quite as organized and as fun as the Disney Events, but overall wasa fun day.  Have the people move away from the finish line.  People crossed the line then wanted to just stand there as if they were the only person running..   MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!!!!  Also, very long lines for after race items like smoothies, fruit, bananas..  but knowone knew there were like 5 or 6 tables full to walk up to and grab it.. have someone telling people to move around and grab it, not wait in a single file line when 16,000 people want a bowl of fruit!!  Start a half hour earlier for 5k..  got way hot out!!

• John Viverito Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 20, 2008

I really enjoyed the 8K. This was the first time I went beyond a 5K. The Bay Shore run is great or as Runner,s World would feature it: it is a: Rave Run. I especially liked the Cheer leaders, music makers and drummers along the way. They did enhance the experience. Doing the 8K has inspired me to go for more distance!

• Kirsten Hite Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008

Very well organized.  Loved the new half marathon course.  Also liked the seeded numbers for the half marathon.  Enjoyed the longer finishing chute that allowed half-marathoners to spread out at the finish and allowed observers to find their friends from outside.

Really appreciated the extra-small ladies shirt option!

Missed the beads this year though!

• geopopo@netzero.net Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 11, 2008

Ran the 5K on Saturday. Weather was a bit warm, otherwise a perfect day to run. This year I did like the fact I did not need to tie the chip to my shoes. Instead it was embedded on the participant number tag. Also the expo this year seemed to lack the large variety of running shoe vendors for some reason.

In general it was a great event.

• Werts1 Amateur 11 posts since
    Jun 7, 2008

Enjoyed the 5k. Have to agree with some of the runners - some people are just plain inconsiderate. If you must walk move over to the side. The tables for food and water could be better placed. Need to be more easily accessible. Had to ask about the bananas only to find that they were placed away from everything (and since I had to go straight back to work in Orlando I jus didn't have the extra time to grab one). The t-shirts were strangely sized. I think Omar the tent maker must have been hired. The medium shirt was huge.  Would I do the event again? Yes, I always like the Gasparilla These comments are to help make it go even better next year.

• schiulli@scsk12.org Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 19, 2010

1st: at 6:30 a.m. there was NO toilet paper in the port-a-johns for the 15K! How can that be? I went over to the lady with the microphone and she announced over the speakers for "someone from the city crew to try to help with that"! I started to walk across the street to Publix and just buy it myself! NO TOILET PAPER before race time is just inexcusable!!

2nd: plenty of water when i came thru the course, but it was running out! With temperatures in the 70's, you gotta plan for MORE water. I would've hated to be the slower runners cause they were already running out after i passed by!

3rd: there were more spectators and moms with strollers in the food tunnel than there were runners!! Those stroller moms were loading up on the fruit packs and bananas. why is it so hard to get bagels or even pnut butter crackers after a race?

4th: the beer was cold. the weather was warm. ahhhhhh. the walk back to the host hotel was short and sweet.

5th: Why allow so many 5K runners? that is mind-boggling! stick to a 15k and the half marathon. Make THOSE races the way it should be, and you will see return runners.

• Chris 77 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 2, 2011

First time running in this event. Had no idea this event was as a big as it was. I will make it a point to get there earlier next year. Kind a tough running the 5k weaving through the walkers.

• icemantom Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 19, 2011

This was my first race in over 3 decades.  I had a blast.  I ran the 5K but there were so many non-runners in it.  I don't know how you fix that other than becoming run police.

I will be back next year!

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...