Skip navigation

30819 Views 279 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2011 1:09 PM by JohnMichalicka RSS Go to original post 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 Previous Next
  • Edward007 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

As usual, great race.  Two suggestions for better success:  water stops should not be at turnaround and they should be on the outside of the street, away from clumping runners.  Second, walkers should be restricted to starting at the back -- have a designated space for walkers to start at the rear. 

• busterblock Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 5, 2010

This was my first experience with a Gasparilla race.  I entered the 5K 3K.  It was a warm day but it was enjoyable.  Some of the road I noticed was uneven.  I am a walker and did finish the race and found my time in the Tampa Tribune.  I had not prior to this completed anything more than a 5K.  I enjoyed the high schoolers and supporters being there to cheer you on and the music along the course was nice.  The special section in the Tampa Tribune was great for looking at times with my friends.  The expo was nice also.

• SteveH4158 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

First time participant. Wow, never thought it was this big. Enjoyed the experience of running in the 5k, but the start was a mess, and there has to be something done about the number of walkers, and them blocking the route. They should be prompted to move to the right in the first 1/2 mile, and not be allowed to walk more than 2 wide at any time. They were 6 wide in some places, ridiculous! OR better yet removed. The race is so large that groups by time should be created with ALL walkers at the back of the pack. They were suppose to be 20 minutes behind the runners, that didn't happen. Consider putting them on a course of their own. If improvements and changes are made I would consider entering again next year.

• MaryAnneMalone Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 15, 2008

I ran the Half. Enjoyed the Cheers from the High Schoolers. Wish there was more music along this long route.

• Deb Mylet Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

Deb Mylet

I did the Half Marathon.  I liked the new course, the finish shoot.  HOwever, I too am frustrated by the runners/ wlakers who are tow and three abreast and having to weave for the first half of the race.  I ran the Indy 500 Half Marathon for years, they started the runners first and walkers last. If someone could even try to get the walkers/slower runners to stay on one side of the road to allow for faster runners to have more room.   Walkers were identified by a different color tag and if there were monitors on the course gently reminding them to stay to one side?  We had plenty of water for our race and I also enjoyed the kids from the schools.  Maybe we older runners are encouraging them to stay fit and active?

• Tampa Mom 77777 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 2, 2011

Ran the 5K   3K.  Great Event as usual.  There where not enough water stations for how warm the day was.  It was at least a mile and a half before the 1st relief.  I will never run the 5K again.  From here on out is 8K or 15K or maybe even the half marathon.  The walkers should stay to the sides and not hinder the runners.  Not that big of a problem, unless you are running the 5K. 

• JenniferScotto Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011

The event was well organized from registration to the actual race. I liked that the chip was embedded into the number as well. The atmosphere was friendly and lively.

Heavy traffic is to be expected, especially in the beginning of a race and I did not find it any worse than other races I have done.

The only tip I could provide is set up a snack stand near the water after the race.

Overall, it was a great race.

• navyska34 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 26, 2008

Race was fun. I have to agree with previous posts that walkers were out of control. Not only did they take up space, but they were totally unaware of their surroundings. And I can't believe it was only 78 degrees, felt a lot warmer than that. First race of the year though so it was good to get back into things.

• LeoRNR Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

The race itself was good, however I have some complaints to make. First, the starting line was way too unorganized. Hundreds of runners crammed in that small area, and not enough room to move. Second. Not enough porta potties. The lines were crazy long and it took forever to go. Third. That first sharp left turn after the start was a major slow down.

These are pretty important issues to me, and I hope you can fix them by next year.

• shanking13 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010

Ran the 15K, plenty of water (had a station every mile), liked the misters to cool off.  Course was nice, a little uneven in some places but very scenic, music could have had better choices. Had great fun at the after party.  (VERY disappointed in the t-shirts... Cotton (have been TEC type shirts in the past few years) and HUGE sizes.  Might as well not even offer the women a shirt when the "small" would fit my 200  lb hubby...)

• C-Rock Pro 70 posts since
    Aug 24, 2007

The post-race celebration was a joke.  The beer line rivaled the lines at any theme park. 

• magrascal Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008

I love participating in the Gasparilla run every year. I ran the 8K and think I will stick to this race for now on instead of the 5K.

• babbs1074 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 24, 2008

Woo hoo....see everyone next year!

• Vonnie23 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

I ran the 15K for the first time.  I've volunteered for many years, but this was my first time running in the race.  I thought the registration and number pick up was easy and well organized.  I liked all the water stands and the misters located throughout the race.  I was a little disappointed in the t-shirts and the start was somewhat unorganized.  I would recommend having walkers start in the back, have a designated lane/area for walkers, or have them start 5minutes after the runners.  It seemed that for the first ~2miles i was having to weave my way through the race due to unaware walkers and high traffic.  Despite these downfalls, it was a nice day and I was happy when i finished the race!

• LandEmom Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

This was my 3rd year running the 5K.  Pros:  9:30 start time, beautiful scenic route (out and back on Bayshore only this year), flat course, fun music, number/packet pickup was organized and fast on Friday, great vendors and freebies at convention center, good quality finisher's medal.  Cons: WALKERS, WALKERS, WALKERS!!!  Start area too narrow and crowded.  Walkers way too far to the front and taking up entire road.  Rules/volunteers need to prompt walkers to the right and passing on left or have qualifying time to run.  Others can run or walk at later start time. Post race area also too congested.

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...