Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

33151 Views 279 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2011 1:09 PM by JohnMichalicka Go to original post 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 Previous Next
  • 080 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 28, 2008

Beautiful scenery. Neighborhoods on Davis island with wide roads and stunning trees. Had flowers in bloom that smelled like heaven.  Sunrise over the intercoastal water way, amazing.

Loved the pirates and the school spirit. AWESOME RED AND GREEN CAT IN THE HAT SCHOOL. LOVE THE D.J's, could have used more in the beginning, but glad they were there to speed me up in the end. All of the entertainment was helpful. Thank you.

Initially narrow roads with large crowds,but no big deal.When sun came up I had water spouts to cool off, necessity. Glad i didnt trip on strollers or people because of the congestion in the beginning. Dont mind the crowd in the beginning because it slowed me down to finish strong. Thank You.

Hated: no fruit on the run. Hate gel. Water and gatoraide plentyful.

Hated: having to walk forever before getting water at the finish line. And waiting in line for the Columbian food. Too long. Rest of the food that was grab as you go was awesome. Fruit cups, bananas. I would have enjoyed them on the run.

Hated: waiting until 11:30 am for my one beer. Didnt open until 11am (this is Tampa, right?) (race started at 6am??? and with only one server,I stood in line with my sore legs for  30 minute to get a single beer)

Otherwise: Loved the opportunity to be a part of a great course and look forward to another opportunity to do it again. 1/2 marathon any day.

• Candy Man Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 29, 2010

It was an awesome race

• bothedog Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 5, 2011

I enjoy running the Gasparilla race.  I have been doing the 15K for over 10 years.  I decided to run the 15K and then run the 5K this year.  I paided my money got my running number #7617 for the 5K and ran the race.  I was so sad that my name did not show up in the newspaper or when you go to look for the results of the race for the 5K.  Part of the excitement of the race is seeing the results and how you did against your fellow racers.  I was so sad that I did not show up.......

• hnforshee Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 25, 2009

I love Gasparilla! It is a blast. Great prizes and giveaways and a great atmosphere. Now, If you are looking for a good 5k to run...this is not it. It is crowded and you are constantly running into people going slower than you so it makes it hard to get a good pace. As long as you know that ahead of time and take it for what it is, you will be happy!!!

• Casey Arnold Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008

I really liked the new start line/course for the 15k. No more dodging parked cars and other runners around the 'S' turn on uneven cobbles down to Bayshore. As always, a very well-organized set of races by Susan Harmeling and her crew.

• Goldie12 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 2, 2008

Overall, I thought it was a great race.

I do feel that there should be better lighting at the beginning of the race.  Very dark and could be open for injury easily. Needed lighting by the port o potty's too.

I loved the water spouts set up, that was really great.

Surprised that the Medics weren't visible as in a tent, didn't really know where to find one.  Needed some biofreeze....

Thanks for a fun day.

• pads1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011

This was my first time at the event.  I entered as part of the company team as the only walker and had a great time.  The refreshments and food provided in the the tent before and after was good, as was the fruits etc outside.  Thanks.   Looking forward to doing it again.

• ddmpac Rookie 7 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007

Where do I begin? I did the Beck's Light Challenge (3 races)  I have run many of these races in the past 8 years or so, and I feel they have deteriorated with the larger numbers of participants. Many of these people are not even running, but using the 5 and 15K races as family fun walks- taking pictures and meandering all over the road. If you want to walk do the 5K WALK!!! Please help people try to understand this. The 1/2 marathon was a total debacle, with no pace gates and the nice hard L turn at about a mile that caused a bottleneck on the bridge to Davis Island- seriously, what was wrong with the old route?  did a few people fall on the brick streets????  I did enjoy the nice crowd support and cheering, but overall I think these races are not what they used to be...

• MSBaseball Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 17, 2010

Great, but WAY too crowded. I think it should be cut off at a certain place and/or split into additional race start times. We were over 20 minutes in by the time we crossed the start line. Then, it was a few more minutes before we could begin running. I also think it would be a good idea, for those that do end up walking at one time or another, to either have 2 different paths or a line separating two areas of Bayshore. Also the shirts were two different brands so the sizes were WAY off. Finally, would it be possible to request to have the registration packet shipped when signing up online?

• JohnMichalicka Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011

Looking forward to Gasparilla 2012!

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...