Skip navigation

31556 Views 279 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2011 1:09 PM by JohnMichalicka RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19 Previous Next
  • afcopwalt Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 12, 2010

I have to agree, Beautiful, scenic, well-managed. But this race is in desperate need of corrals. The start is ridiculously chaotic and crowded. The bottle neck at the first bridge and water station were worse than Disney races (and those are the worst!).  I will be back, but hopefully the race directors will take care of these problems.

• Squeaky63 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

I enjoyed the race, only disappointment was no bottled water left at the end of the 5k walk/stroller race - still needed more water.  Otherwise, I will be back next year, and will run this time!

• ChipNAmy Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

This was our first race to participate in.  I ran the 5K and my husband ran the 15K.  We were impressed with the level of organization to handle that number of people so efficiently.

• Runsterma Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 12, 2010

Always great!! I ran the half-marathon. only complaint was hard to find the pace teams and could not hear anything around the start or the actual start of the race. a megaphone would have helped. only way I knew the race had started was we started to move. corrals would help as I spent a lot of time weaving aboud walkers ect near the front. overall, it is very well organized and the expo is great, though a lot was gone when I got there on Sat. I love that Nike sponsors the gear as it is cool and durable. I will run this every year I can!!!

• katemacrone Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 24, 2010

15K participant - thought it was well organized and well run for the size of the event and number of participants. Plenty of water stops along route. Water should be easier to come by at the end but not a big deal. Food a bit lacking in variety at the end but free beer made up for that! Everyone was very nice. Extra gold star for warm sun this year instead of cold rain .

• wnb2 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 2, 2009

Second year doing the half marathon and I like the slight change to the course this year.  Support was excellent, the fans were great especially the High Schools that came out...thanks! Looking forward to next year already.

• syoung2090 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 22, 2007

Did all 4.  Great job.  Few suggestions.  Race 2, 5K, water ran out at the end of the race for the slow runners.

Awards, could you make all 4 different?  And someone else suggested sizing them according to distance, like the 1/2 and 4 race awards were a little different in size. Also, if you did all 3 you got the becks, if you did all 4 you got the mic ultra.  If you did all 4, you technically did all 3, so you should get the beck award also.

Shirts, 3 shirts for 4 races?  And not tech shirts?  If you need to, charge me the extra buck next year for tech.

• aggiemom2012 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009

This was my first time at this event.  Did the 5   3K and loved it!  The course was beautiful, the volunteers were awesome and the overall feel was great.  Hoping to do the half-marathon next year!

• Jessica3192 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 9, 2011

8K participant.... I thought it went great. Everything was well organized and people were very friendly. I cant wait till next year. I am going to go for the half. What a great way to support chairities. Thanks to all the support.

• pkmoerk Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 29, 2010

Great race. Well organized. I won the Masters but never received anything at the awards ceremony. T- shirts should have been Dri-fit

• andrej_milic Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 27, 2009

It was a great half event. The new route is better than last year. The high schoolers were awesome. The powerade goo was perfect around mile 7 or 8. I will do it again next year.

Andrej Milic Owner of Milic Sport Club

• Jen Plante Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 17, 2011

My husband and I did the 1/2 marathon and enjoyed the event thoroughly. My favorite was the enthusiastic school kids cheering us all on! My not so favorite part was the sharp turn in the beginning of the race but I'll take that small detail since the rest of the event topped it...looking forward to next year's event.

• hbbdolphin Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 19, 2011

Pretty good organization. I only have two complaints.... First and biggest complaint is that everyone was still funneled down the street (seemed to be like half a mile) after the finish. We were barricaded in by those metal gates! To make matters worse, all the food and water was on the other side of the barricades and out of reach. Being that this was my first 5k race, I was completely exhausted and needed water and food stat! There wasn't even room to get out of the way from other people to sit down for a minute! I felt like I was going to pass out. I had to make my way to the curb and sit there for a minute. Eventually my boyfriend asked one of the bystanders to move one of the barricades out of the way, so we could get through to some shade and water. Thank the lord the man was nice enough to help us out! We just ran 3 miles people! For some of us, that is a huge feat! Why were we continued to be herded down the street without water or food!!! Even once we got passed the barricades and by the draw bridge, there were no signs or people there to tell you that you could loop around to get to the tents where the food and water was. For the amount that I paid to run the race, I expected there to be better amenities such as food and water before, after, and during the race. The MS bike race is excellent at doing this. Why can't the Gasparilla race do this? My second and smaller complaint is that the 5k started at 9:30 which made it a pretty hot run... adding to my exhaustion and need of water and food after the race! I probably won't run this race again due to these issues. :0(

• parrotfisher Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011

All in all a great event!  Thought the turn around could have been larger as it was bottlenecked so bad you literally had to stop running to get around.  And the water holes should have been staggered and on opposite sides.  I will be running my sixth year next year!  Can't wait!

• Tammy Hollonbeck Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 29, 2008

Have always loved the race, it is a goregous course! I wish there was more information like other races on parking in the area, where to park and how much it will cost you. Also the start and finish lines are not done well enough for spectators to catch the runners there, they would have to go down and park on side streets of Bayshore for a good view of their loved ones. Also the end it was very difficult to find any water as you could not even get through the crowds and could get nowhere near any food items at all which is the first time in years that it has happened that way. I love the race and have been doing it for years but seems that there are always issues at the end after the finish line.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...