Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

739 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 18, 2011 11:39 AM by merriman9 RSS
runrchick79 Amateur 14 posts since
Feb 19, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 7, 2011 2:05 PM

Crossing Training with Chondromalacia

I have been told I have chondromalacia patalla in my right knee. Will cross training with low impact excerising make this condition worse? I realize running may not be the best choice right now, but I don't want to be inactive if I don't have to be.

• merriman9 Amateur 6 posts since
    Oct 18, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 18, 2011 11:39 AM (in response to runrchick79)
    Re: Crossing Training with Chondromalacia

I would recommend non-weight bearing exercises such as swimming, or rowing. Cardio exercise that is weight bearing (walking/running) will cause a strain to be placed on the knees. However you may want to check with your physician to talk about prescription anti-inflammatory medication that may help to make exercise more tolerable. Over the counter NSAIDS may also be enough to allow you to exercise pain-free.

With Chondromalacia it is common to see individuals with weak or inhibited frontal plane stabilizers that cause a synergistic dominance of the hamstrings, quads and TFL as well as patellar misalignment or mal-position that may contribute to the pain associated with the anterior knee. I would recommend a corrective exercise program to help correct this. Use a foam roller on your hamstrings, quads and TFL and performs stretches for these muscles as well. I would also work on strengthening your glute muscles as well to help counter the dominant hamstrings.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points