Skip navigation

926 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2011 7:40 AM by schmidbc RSS
Leah57526 Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 8, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 8, 2011 8:35 AM

first time marathon training, rest time pre-event?

Hi! I'm slated to run my 3rd half marathon in mid-sept (Bar Harbor) I have been debating about attempting my first full marathon this fall. I'd like to run it with TNT, just to help keep me focused. I'm following a training schedule for a spring half marathon and feel great. My question is this, is 1.5mo too soon to run a full marathon after a half? I don't want the half to interfere with training for the full but have read threads suggesting rest time after a half... Also, TNT is offering training for Marine Corps and Savannah (that I'm interested in). Any other good first-time events I should be looking into??

Thanks for any advice/info!

• rocdoc50 Legend 240 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007

Running World list the DisneyWorld Marathon as one of the better 1st Marathons to do because of the great fan support and flat course.  I've run a half there and have to agree that it has plenty of support at every mile and you can't be runnng through the different parks. I am looking at doing my first marathon at the Space Coast Marathon in Cocoa, Fl.   I ran the half there this past year and it is beautiful.  Like you I have been running a few half marathons, in fact I will be running 3 half marathons in 4 weeks. My thought is that my training runs have already gotten up to double digit miles at least once a week so it isn't that much of a stretch to do it. By the fall I should be able to do a few 17 - 20 mile runs.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009

1.5 months -- 6 weeks -- is plenty of time to recover from a half marathon prior to a marathon.

You can adjust your training plan to fit that in. It should not be a problem. I am running 3 half marathons in the 8 weeks prior to the marathon I am running this fall.

• schmidbc Amateur 12 posts since
    Dec 18, 2009

1.5 to 2 months is actually my favorite time to fit in a pre-marathon half marathon race. It gives me a chance to pick up my pace for a longer distance, while still having enough recovery time afterwards and still a few weeks to get in some long marathon-training runs. You should be fine.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points