Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

790 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2011 9:04 AM by merriman9 RSS
Eddie Parker Amateur 12 posts since
Feb 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 8, 2011 12:32 PM

Cardio on my gym days?

Being new to running, I'm also working out in the gym. I work out pretty hard three days a week, and have been using the tread mill for 20 or 30 minutes as a warm up. Now that I'm running, I'm finding my work outs, be it running or weight lifting, are just to demanding. I'm wondering if I'm over training on the cardio. I'm also starting the C25K training S. Should I only run on my 3 running days, and replace my cardio warm ups with something else on my lifting days? Should I substitute bicycling, or jumping rope, or just lay off the cardio on lifting days all together? Is that warm up running not giving me enough recoup time?

• weenafaye Pro 57 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    1. Mar 9, 2011 2:27 PM (in response to Eddie Parker)
    Re: Cardio on my gym days?

Since you are new to running, I would recommend doing a different cardio on your gym days. It will give your running muscles a chance to recover and adapt to the stress. Warm up on the elliptical or bike before your weight training. Hope this helps!

Alicia 

PR's

Clear Lake Turkey Trot 10k Nov 2009 - 1:05

Dallas White Rock Half Dec 2009 - 2:38:02

Ellis County CASA 5k Nov 2010- 29:08

• merriman9 Amateur 6 posts since
    Oct 18, 2007
    3. Mar 17, 2011 9:04 AM (in response to Eddie Parker)
    Re: Cardio on my gym days?

For a warm-up I would recommend a routine that consist of dynamic movements/stretches that will help to increase your core timperature, prepare your nervous system for activity and activate key muscles that you'll be using in your training session. Also by doing a warm up that consist of dynamic movements you are decreasing your risk of injury and increasing your training.

Here is a link to a sample dynamic warm up from Core Performance: A Better Warm Up

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points