Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

7292 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2011 8:38 PM by IronMakeover
German Kiwi Amateur 14 posts since
Mar 9, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 9, 2011 1:41 PM

Is a full Ironman a realistic goal?

I am currently training for my second Half Ironman, which will be in less than 5 weeks. Training is going well. I finished the first one in 6:36, just to give you an idea of how slow/fast I am. Even before I finished the first one, I had a hunger to do a full Ironman one day. I've currently set my eyes on the NZ Ironman in March 2012. In the second half of this year, I will be moving to the Southern Hemisphere, which will take me out of training for about 3 months (at least no bike and no pool).

I do not have the financial means to pay for a coach, but believe I own quite a library to create my own training plans. So the basic rules of no more than 10% increase per week, every 4th week is recovery week, etc. are in place.

So now comes the question: I find myself, everytime I hit the 15h per week training volume, I'm starting to show all the signs of over-training. Which makes me worried how I would cope with training for the full distance, and how I could possibly smarten-up my training. Do I need to back down from my full distance goal and accept that I'm just not "made" for this?

I don't want to, but right now, being as tired as I am, I couldn't train more than 15h/week either. (which means the long run is 15mi and the long ride is 65mi).

Any insights?

Thanks.

• dnavarro82 Pro 113 posts since
    Apr 24, 2008
    1. Mar 9, 2011 2:52 PM (in response to German Kiwi)
    Re: Is a full Ironman a realistic goal?

First off, good luck on your half IM.

It is totally realistic.  Without really knowing howy ou go about your training, I would say the first thing to look at, is your nutrition.  Can it be improved, are there things you can cut out, and so on.  You might have to drop down a couple notches in terms of intensitiy, too.  Anotther big thing is the amount of sleep you are getting.

You have the base knowledge on how to go about it, just keep asking questions on here, and you'll get through it.

Now, please take what I am saying with a grain of salt, I am currently training for my first IM.

Dan

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Mar 10, 2011 7:29 AM (in response to German Kiwi)

you're good to listen to your body some people canhandle more than 20hrs others 10-12hrs are their limit we're all different and you have to listen to your body.  what are you using to measure your intensity of workouts?

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• dnavarro82 Pro 113 posts since
    Apr 24, 2008
    4. Mar 10, 2011 7:42 AM (in response to German Kiwi)

Yeah, you definitely have the nutrition part down, and wow, I'm jealous of the amount of sleep you get.  I'm lucky if I get 8 hours on the weekends.

Currently, I am in the 12 to 14 hour range.

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    5. Mar 10, 2011 1:11 PM (in response to German Kiwi)

If that's happening after 15 weeks, I'd also look into common nutritional deficiencies. Here's a really good audio "primer" about this issue in triathletes: http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2009/07/podcast-episode-53-six-key-performance-factors-every-athlete-needs-to-know-about/

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

• BT.ROB Legend 271 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    7. Mar 11, 2011 2:48 PM (in response to German Kiwi)

Plenty of people (like me) make it to the finish line of an IM with 12-14 hours a week. At 53, I have work and family and other things in my life that press on my time. It is good to have a plan and make the most of your time. Both intensity and volume are key, but volume does not have to be huge. The only marathon I have run is in the IM; the longest run previously in training was 18 miles and that took working up to. Same with long swims or bike rides, nothing really approximating the time and length of each, although coming from a cycling background I have completed plenty of rides near or over 112 miles. Nutrition is certainly key, particularly right after a hard effort to aid in recovery and replenishing glycogen stores.

Have fun and good luck.

BT

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    9. Mar 20, 2011 8:38 PM (in response to German Kiwi)

Congratulations German Kiwi!!!!!! Very exciting!!!!

I agree, your attitude is perfect. Way to go for it!

:-) Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points