Skip navigation

4623 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2009 9:27 AM by horsecock RSS
stevehoover Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 27, 2004 4:16 PM

Good trails in No Cal?

Anybody have any suggestions on good mountain bike trails in Northern California?

• AndreaB63 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Aug 30, 2004 1:33 PM (in response to stevehoover)
    Re: Good trails in No Cal?

My two favorites are Boggs Mountain near Calistoga; great singletrack and a few loops to choose from.  The second is on the North Shore of Lake Tahoe; the trailhead is near Boreal Ski Resort, called Hole in the Ground.  It's best if you can drop a car at the end--17 miles of great climbs and incredible singletrack.  Both are definitely worth the drive.

• jeff94566 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Sep 8, 2004 9:22 AM (in response to stevehoover)

Where do you live?

I live close to the Pleasanton Ridge and find it a great place to mountain bike.  My friends and I are up there nearly every weekend.

Jeff

• scooterdog Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Sep 29, 2004 2:03 AM (in response to stevehoover)

Depend on where you live,but I would suggest "Henry Coe Park" There are two entrtances to the park. One is in gilroy, and the other is in morgan hill. I'm talking about gilroy side. There are all kinds of rides out there and as a expert rider, I can definitely say that this place is  pretty awesome! You need to be at least an intermediate  rider to be able to ride at this park other wise you'll end up walking all the way. There are all kinds of single track and creek crossing, you get to see wild lives like pigs and coyote! Thank god I've never seen A mountain lion though. To get there, take 101. Get off at Leavesly Rd exit. If you are coming from North, take a left at the exit. From south, go right. Pass through the outlet mall, stay on leavesly rd. You'll also see the brown sign says, "Henry coe Park" or,"Gilroy hot spring." Take a left on roop,or loop. Then right on new rd.(Could be new is first and then roop. I just know how to get there so I don't usually pay attention to those no more!) There will be the signs as well.  Then at the first Y-junction,go right. Don't go to cayote creek park. Then you;ll hit another y-junction. go left and over the cettle guard. After that, just stay on the road until you see the big parking lot with the "Henry Coe state park" sign.You can either park your car there or keep on driving until you see the bridge where is not too far from that point. A lot of the bikers parks by the bridge too but spaces are limited.

My favorite ride there is "Anza trail." As I mentioned earlier,there are all kinds of ride up there but the park is so huge,you might get lost too. So Make sure to get a goos map from the ranger. If you want to stay on the fire rd, that is also possible. But you should try the single track though. They are on the left hand side as you go up the fire rd.

Just make sure that you know which way you are going and you shouldn't have any problem. Turn around if you are not so sure about which way to go. If you would like to know more about this ride,let me know! I'll get back to you at here!

Always make sure that you have a repair kit and plenty od water and food. Be Prepared!!!!!

You don't have to be too worried but I just wanted to make sure your safety!!!!

The another good ride in nor cal is in santa cruz.Stop by the bike shop and they'll gladly help you out!

• mommiepoppie Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Oct 15, 2004 8:34 PM (in response to stevehoover)

You can take this info for what it is, but last weekend we went to China Camp State Park in San Rafael, to hike and boy, there were mountain bikers all over the trails. Beautiful place.

• B. Pro Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 11, 2008
    5. Oct 31, 2008 7:54 AM (in response to stevehoover)

Forrest Hill Ridge (Auburn, CA.)

Cool (Cool, CA.)

Granite Bay (Roseville/Folsom, CA.)

Rockville (Fairfield, CA.)

• horsecock Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 14, 2009
    6. Jan 14, 2009 9:27 AM (in response to stevehoover)

susanville ca has great single track. 14 miles of new trails were just put down that are easy to find. plus there is about another 20 miles or so that is hard to find. not including about 100 miles of jeep track or double track. the weather is a factor though since winter riding is usually out because of cold and snow.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...