Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

937 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2011 11:11 PM by LemonaidLucy
Mommyrunner411 Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 9, 2011 8:43 PM

Really need help with insoles or something for the balls of my feet. Please help :)

I started running in September and ran my first 5k in November and another one in December. By then I needed new shoes so I went to a big box store and bought a pair that felt good in the store. I took them for a few runs and decided to return them. The balls of my feet hurt a lot.

I went to a running store where they watched me run and said I overpronate so I bought some stabilitly shoes from Ascis and after giving some time to wear in (which I have heard I shouldn't have to do) I had the same problem. So I went back and exchanged them for a pair of Brooks. I came back again with the same problem only this time with knee and ankle pain. They gave me some new insoles for the shoes and that seemed to help but after a couple of weeks I had the same problem with horribly sore ankles. I went back to the store again and now have a pair of Saucony ProGrid Guide 4. We decided to back off on the stabiliy and concentrate on the cushioning because I ran for months with no problem with neutral shoes. I am afraid these (current shoes) aren't much better so far except I don't have sore ankles.

I am really discouraged and I am about to give up on running because I think no matter what I am going to have problems with the balls of my feet being sore.

Is there a particular insole or extra cushioning I can buy so my feet aren't so sore?

What about taping my feet or something?

Can I train my body/feet to run correctly?

More information: I really only overpronate with my right foot. I run with a stroller. I also have really high arches.

I am a major novice abut I don't want to say goodbye to running. I am really hoping someone out there can help me. Thank you

• PerformanceCoachingLLC Amateur 39 posts since
    Feb 7, 2011

What type of shoe did you have in the beginning?  You didn't mention any soreness with those?

Most runners end up with some sort of ailment at one time or another. It might not be the shoes at all, but an injury.  Look into plantar fasciitis, heel spurs, or bruising of the heel.

You may just need to be doing some preventive work.  Stretching is a key to prevent injury, some times we neglect our feet even though they are taking the beating

Your heels are trying to tell you something.

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010

runwithcoffee wrote:

What type of shoe did you have in the beginning?  You didn't mention any soreness with those?

Exactly my thoughts! Why not go for the same  ones?

Another thing: running with a stroller is not easy and you might be pushing off the balls too hard and that's why they're sore. Try not to push off and just lift your full foot as taught by Danny Dryer in chi running.

Try to masssge your feet a few times a week.

I've also heard there are cushionings for that (ball of the foot)  because they use them if you have a stress fracture on your instep.

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points