Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

639 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 10, 2011 7:41 PM by rocdoc50 RSS
jeanawright Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 10, 2011 7:02 PM

Frustrated!

I am training for 2 ten mile runs in April, Gettsyburg Marathon RELAY in May and DC Olympic Triathlon in June. I had hoped to do a half marathon in the fall and a half ironman next year.  I have been running for about 2 years and am a 47 year old woman.  Last year I ran lots of 5Ks (10 - 15) 2  10Ks, a sprint triathlon and a olympic triathlon. Training was going great until I got sore calf muscles during a swimming lesson.  My calves have continued to bother me with my running.  I don't know what to do.  I stopped running for 8 days and then continued.  My 9 mile run this past weekend was alright.  My calf just feels very tight at the beginning of runs and after.   Usually once I run a few miles it feels better.   I don't know if I should go to the doctor or stretch more or what. I believe when I hurt my calves swimming was the same time it got warm enough to add my biking into my training, so that might not have helped.  Biking feels good on the calf. Swimming seems to work out the pain also.   This week I did a 6 mile bike ride and then a 3 mile run and that didn't feel good.  Then on my 4 mile run today it stayed tight. Sometimes it is the calf muscle on the inside of my leg and sometimes it seems to move more around to the front near the shin area. It never hurts intensely just makes me limp until it loosens up. So my question is what should I do?

• rocdoc50 Legend 240 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 10, 2011 7:41 PM (in response to jeanawright)
    Re: Frustrated!

It sounds like your legs are just worn out from so much concentrated training. Although most of it can be considered cross training, it is still a lot that you have been doing in a short period of time. I can't say that I have tried to attempt any ironmans or triathalons but I have been running about as long as you (3 years), run as many 5k's and 10k's in the past year,  and I am about the same age.  One thing I noted is that I have to give my self some time to recover (at least a day) or else my performance drops.  Not to rain on your parade but I had tightness in my calf before and sometime later I tore my achillies. You might want to get a doctor to take a look at it just in case it is a case of achillies tendonitis. Since my recovery, I have been running 2 - 4 half marathons a year but I am still careful of any type of tightness in my calf muscles. You are probably ok, but with the goals you have set, it is best to play it safe.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points