Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3048 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2011 8:28 AM by Joseph Tree RSS
vcmom Amateur 15 posts since
Mar 11, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 11, 2011 10:45 AM

good outside goal for 38 year old woman getting back into running and doing 3-4 miles at 8:30min/mile pace

Just curious what people think is a reasonable outside goal for someone (me) who is a 38 year old female who just started running again (as of Dec 2010) 3-4 miles 3x/week.  I'm running a 5K this coming Saturday and am expecting to run around 8:30 min/mile.  I like outside goals so, for example, would it be reasonable for me to think that in one year of running 16-20 miles/week I might be able to go below 8:00 min/mile?  I'm 5'6, 130 lbs.  Feel no need to lose weight for aesthetic reasons but do you reach those lower times only if you are quite thin?  I've run on and off during the past 20 years; for a few to several months, running 4x/week 3-4 miles to going years without running.  But it has not been too difficult for me to achieve the 8:30 min/mile pace for 3-4 miles (although I am definitely working i.e. breathing hard while doing it).  I read somewhere that I need to be doing more like 30 miles/week to really improve a 5K time - is this true?

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010

Cutting 30 seconds per mile is do-able.  I am no expert but have you looked into joining a local running club?  I just joined one a month ago and have learnd a lot from the coahes involved with the club, as well as the other runners.  The club has track workouts on Tuesdays where we do intervals or hill climbs - I never knew what those were - and these should help you improve your speed.  The workouts also help break the monotony of running.  To improve my endurance Saturdays is saved for the long slow distance. My 5K time has gone down from a little over 10 minutes to 9:10 in 4 months.  However, I am more interested in doing more 10Ks and also half marathons, so I am working on my endurance.  Good luck on your training and your attempt to reach your goal.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,368 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Hah!  What's a "normal person"?  If you are regularly training at an 8:30 pace, say 15 miles per week (mpw), you can probably beat that pace in a 5K race.  You may very well be capable of 8:00 or better right now.  To improve, I would suggest doing 20 - 25 mpw, with a long run of 8 or more miles and, down the road a couple months, one speedwork day per week.  Work on building your weekly mileage first, then speedwork.  Your long run should be at a somewhat slower pace.  Speedwork can be intervals or tempo.  Alternating the two might be good as you introduce yourself to doing these workouts.  Work more on short intervals - 200s, 400s, and some 800s.  Again, based on a current 8:30 training pace, 6 or 8 months of this will likely get you into the low 7:00 range, maybe better, depending on your natural talent.  At that point, depending on your goals and where you are at in achieving them, you could go to two speedwork days a week and possibly a little more mileage.

Go here: http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Kinter.htm and look at the plan and the explanations below it.  Then go to the Advanced plan (there's a link on the page) to compare.  You can probably work toward the Intermediate plan now and possibly the Advanced later, if desired.  These plans give you a pretty good idea of what you need to do to improve.  For paces on your runs, you can use the McMillan Running Calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm).  You can use your training times since you don't have a recent race time.

How fast can you get?  Well, there are some on this board who run sub 20s.  Others (me, for instance) are happy with low 22s (though I'm nowhere near that anymore).  8:00 pace is 24:51.

Len

Len

• Michelle74149 Pro 138 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011

I am so jealous of your 8 minute mile. Just had to say that Good luck with improving even more!

I'm new to running. I completed the couch to 5K program on March 11th.

First 5k, Seafarer's House,  completed April 2nd! 33:49

http://andsosheran.blogspot.com/

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010

Congrats on finishing C25K. I had never heard of the program, just kinda stumbled on to running on my own as part of a lose weight/get fit thing.  Wanted to wish you well on your first 5K.  No matter what time you get it will be a PR, so enjoy the whole experience of the race.  If it leads to more races in the future, that would be great.  The forum here has a lot of very supportive people of all skill levels, expertise (or lack of like myself), and experience (I'm slowly getting it).  8 minute mile is something I am also very jealous of, having recently ran my fastest mile of 8:14.  Good luck in your running and again, enjoy your first 5K. 

I recently started a blog myself and still trying to get my friends to follow along.  No such luck yet but I will break them down ...

http://safetyboyrunning.blogspot.com/

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010

Just a word of moderation and appreciation:  You are running very well now and are apparently blessed with a very good physiology.  Enjoy it!  You might benefit from appreciating how wonderful it is to be able to run so well.  Don't lose track of the wonder of every step as you look forward to farther and faster.  It's all good.  It's all wonderful!  Run wel!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points