Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1755 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2011 6:42 PM by MindaTeachesKidz RSS
glassgirl33 Amateur 17 posts since
Mar 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 11, 2011 7:16 PM

C25K W6D1 and my first 5K this weekend!

I'm so excited that I can hardly concentrate!  I started C25K six weeks ago, 24 lbs. heavier and pretty sure that I'd never be able to run longer than 60 seconds at a time, much less be willing to sign up for a 5K and run in front of other (slender) people.  Boy, was I ever wrong!  I'm running in a 5K this weekend and have signed up for 2 more in April and one in May.  And I'm loving it!

My husband and I used to run regularly but that was over 20 years ago.  We stopped and became complacent about our fitness, gaining weight and getting lazy.  Some neighbors signed up for this weekend's 5K and at first I told myself it was stupid to even consider it.  Then I thought, "well, I could just walk it."  Before I gave that too much thought, I heard about C25K and that was it - I'm hooked!  I'm still overweight but know that it will come off if I continue to run and eat better.  I'm also incredibly slow but hey, I'm not as slow as I was even 6 short weeks ago! 

A huge thank you to everyone here.  Just reading the threads and seeing the encouragement that everyone gives each other helps keep my motivation high.  I can't wait until I'm able to offer that same encouragement to others starting out.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Mar 11, 2011 7:21 PM (in response to glassgirl33)
    Re: C25K W6D1 and my first 5K this weekend!

That Awesome! Good Luck with your race!

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    2. Mar 12, 2011 2:58 PM (in response to glassgirl33)

Congrats on doing C25K and your first race.  I hope you had a great experience with it and are looking forward to your next races.  You have a great attitude and that will help tremendously as you progress in your health and in your races.  Just by posting here and telling your story as it is happening you are encouraging many people, including myself.  So keep posting in here.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• MindaTeachesKidz Amateur 15 posts since
    Mar 12, 2011
    3. Mar 12, 2011 6:42 PM (in response to glassgirl33)

Congratulations! Don't worry about how you look running in front of other people. Most of them have been in your shoes and are cheering you on!

I'm new here & new to running. I'm in the seventh week of C25K. I started running after watching my older sister complete two 5Ks and a 10K. My twelve year old son has ran three 5Ks in the last six months! I have a lot of catching up to do!!

Melinda

Army Wife, Mother, Veteran, Teacher

FBC Family Fun Run 5K - 4/2/11

Run with the Rams 5K - 4/9/11

33rd Annual Lake Hartwell Dam 5K - 5/6/11

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...