Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3451 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2011 2:47 PM by CharlesAlberson RSS
Becca12381 Amateur 17 posts since
Mar 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 13, 2011 7:20 AM

200 + Club Newbie

Okay so my soon to be 50 year old mother in law can run half marathons and I'm surround by friends that run.  I'm 29, 5'2 and weight in at about 300lbs.  I have always struggled with my weight but have always been active.  So I told my mother in law that I would train for 5K and do it.  I'm so scared and stumbled accoss this website that had other people who were over 200lbs and running so I dont feel completly hopeless.  I have never ran before in my life, my work outs consist of eliptical, jazzercise, and some strength training.  If I could keep my work outs regular I have lost over 82lbs before but I gain it back so fast that I give up.  I hope I dont give up on this! *Prays*

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    1. Mar 13, 2011 11:59 AM (in response to Becca12381)
    Re: 200 + Club Newbie

Good luck on your journey.  Remember, we weren't born running so at some point everyone who decided to be a runner has to start.  When I think about my journey, I decided that I wanted to start running to lose weight and take care of my body better.  You'll have setbacks and you'll fight yourself a lot.  But keep strong and rely on this message board to keep you strong. There are so many supportive people here that will help you get through all of the hard times.  Running isn't easy.  But the level of difficulty will decrease the more you do it.  Just know that it will take time.  We don't gain the extra weight in 6 months and shouldn't expect to lose it in 6 months either.

Don't just take an active approach to your physical side.  You also need to work on your nutritional side.  Start eating healthy and you'll really start to feel better.

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    2. Mar 13, 2011 3:12 PM (in response to Becca12381)

Hi Becca. You can do this. I know you can. Here is a blog that you might find inspirational. http://losingweighteveryday.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=6

Start reading it from day 1

Join in one of the thread here and post frequently. It will keep you motivated.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Mar 13, 2011 6:28 PM (in response to Becca12381)

Good Luck!

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    4. Mar 13, 2011 6:46 PM (in response to Becca12381)

Becca12381 wrote:

I...stumbled accoss this website that had other people who were over 200lbs and running so I dont feel completly hopeless.

Hey Becca!  No, no nonononoononono...no...  not hopeless.  Not even a little!  The fact that you come back even after past yo-yo's  is enough for hope. You haven't given up on yourself and that is the first, last and most important thing!    I'm still 270 and running. And My wife is still  .... closer to 300 than she'd like and she's running!   You can do this and you might even have some fun along the way!

If you find yourself looking for more support or proof, come on over to this thread

http://community.active.com/thread/81129/200-pound-club/0/0

We're all 200+ pounders.  And there are a bunch of success stories there!

Good Luck!

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• V3RVE Amateur 14 posts since
    Apr 4, 2011
    5. Apr 11, 2011 2:17 PM (in response to Becca12381)

There are a lot of people here to root you on, answer questions and who (most importantly) understand.

I lost almost 40# in two months this last Jan-Feb (New Year's resolution + my office's Biggest Loser Challenge + competitive cubicle neighbor + pre-kids European vacation).  My weapons of choice were the treadmill and elliptical as my knees/aching dictated.  My goal was duration on the machines - not speed or mileage.  I wasn't at all shy about adjusting speed.  But most of my weight loss was through nutrition - what, when, how much, etc..  Just wanted to pipe in and say that all the hard work is worth it.  Just one foot at a time..

...It's affected my mindset, I think..  I regrouted the f%$king shower over the weekend, to my wife's pleasure.

03 Apr 2011     Brew-to-Brew, 5.7mi Leg     46:00

09 Apr 2011     MGA 5k     24:30                                                    

16 Apr 2011     OZ half-marathon     2:07:09                   

04 Jun 2011     Hospital Hill half-marathon       

30 Jul 2011     Warrior Dash 5k

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." -Deming

• Jude1206 Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. May 11, 2011 5:53 PM (in response to Becca12381)

I am new to the group, even though I was going to join over a year ago. With the loss of both parents with the year, it is time to gain control. I have always wanted to run a  5K, hoping to by the time I was 45, well now we are moving to 46. My first goal is a 5k to walk/run the end of June and then to head to Florida for Princess Half in February. I would start running, then I started to feel the fat jiggling when running. Realizing of course, the more I run the less jiggling there really is.......I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and have the support of those that are in the same "shape" as myself.

Jude

• Fattyy3 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    7. May 15, 2011 8:23 PM (in response to Becca12381)

I hope this is encouraging: I have a history of weight issues blah blah.. I started exercising (stair master and treadmill) when I was at my high of 340 pounds. I now weigh 263. I am a runner. I did a half marathon last year at an average pace of 9:45 a mile. I'm signed up for a full marathon this year.

It will suck at first. There's no way around it. But give it a month and you will feel better and find success.. and fat loss.

• Tinkeyes Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 13, 2011
    9. Jul 13, 2011 4:39 PM (in response to Becca12381)

Hi!

I'm on my third week doing Week 4, but I'm getting it!  I used to run back in my 20's, but now I'm almost 43 and weigh 247 (down from 291).  I've decided to enter my first 5k in early September, even if I have to walk part of it because I need the motivation and focus.  My husband is a truck driver who got started on C25k because he saw how I'd been dedicated and improving and he figured it something he could do on the road.  He's getting ready to graduate from Week 1 on Friday after 4 weeks on it.  I think I'm more proud of him than I am of me.  I'm looking forward to continuing the journey!

• cmtpt53 Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 26, 2011
    10. Jul 13, 2011 9:44 PM (in response to Becca12381)

Hi Becca.  I'm going to start off by congratulating you on your decision to make yourself healthier.  That being said, you must understand that you cannot diet, you have to make changes to your lifestyle.  I know that sounds like a lot to ask,  but little steps in the beginning will lead to huge progress down the road.  If you diet, as soon as you stop, you will gain all the weight back.  Do lots and lots and lots and lots of research into healthy eating(I did a lot of my research on Prevention.com).  Figure out what you may be doing that is holding you back, and reteach yourself how to eat.  When I did this, I actually started liking foods that I always hated, like fresh peppers and onions, and started hating fried food(it's actually pretty gross when you break it down).  That's how success starts, you have to be all in.

Start by figuring out how many calories you burn just being alive. You can do that here: http://health.discovery.com/centers/heart/basal/basal.html. Then you want to shoot to have your NET calorie burn in the day be 500-1000 calories less than that figure.  Net means what you eat minus the exercise you do that day.  Also, you must make sure you eat at least 1300 calories in a day.  Less calories eaten does NOT mean more weight loss.  Any less than 1300 calories and your body's metabolic process slows to conserve energy, causing you to put on extra weight to compensate.  Yes, that's right, eating too little calories will make you fat.  Another thing you have to consider is the kind of calories you are eating because 1300 calories of McDonalds and frozen processed foods high in preservatives, sodium and saturated fats are completely different than 1300 calories of well balanced food.  That means protien, carbs(yes, carbs are good for you if they are complex), and ample fiber.  Fruits, vegetables, lean meats, whole grains.  Learn what is good for you and READ LABELS.  It is way more than counting calories.  When you look at a label, take into effect the calories and fat, but also the nutritional value it offers as far as protien, carbs, and vitamins (also look for amounts of bad things like sugar and sodium.  Try to stay away from these).  My best advice is to do your homework and try to do something different everyday.  Don't try to overewhelm yourself with all of this.

As far as exercise goes, you must do cardio, and lots of it, at least 3 times a week.  Do something that you find enjoyable because that is what matters.  If you don't like doing it, you eventually are not going to do it.  Find an active hobby, like cycling or jogging and try to incorporate that.  Also, you have to strength train.  That is the hard part for me, but it is necessary for building muscle and boosting your metabolism, which means more calorie burn, and you know what that means! Strength training is also pivotal in keeping your body functioning to it's full potential and for future health.  It builds muscle and bone mass which will help you recover from injuries and will keep you strong for years to come.  Again, you have to find a routine that you like to do, which may be hard to find if you are like me.  Just make sure you ease yourself into whatever you choose to do so that you don't hurt yourself, or worse, get discouraged.

Now I know I threw a lot of information at you, but if you do your homework and take it in small steps, you will succeed.  I know you can do this!  Coming to a forum like this one is a great start because with support as wonderful as these people, you are sure to reach your goals!  If you have any specific questions, just shoot me a message, I'm here to help!  Just remember, one step at a time, put one foot in front of the other and keep your eyes looking ahead.  You are strong, and you can succeed!  WOO!

• CharlesAlberson Pro 152 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    11. Aug 18, 2011 2:47 PM (in response to Becca12381)

Becca12381 wrote:

Okay so my soon to be 50 year old mother in law can run half marathons and I'm surround by friends that run.  I'm 29, 5'2 and weight in at about 300lbs.  I have always struggled with my weight but have always been active.  So I told my mother in law that I would train for 5K and do it.  I'm so scared and stumbled accoss this website that had other people who were over 200lbs and running so I dont feel completly hopeless.  I have never ran before in my life, my work outs consist of eliptical, jazzercise, and some strength training.  If I could keep my work outs regular I have lost over 82lbs before but I gain it back so fast that I give up.  I hope I dont give up on this! *Prays*

@Becca, You can Do this! I have started to watch what I eat and changed my life, for health reasons and I'm also very tired of being the little fat waddling guy.  I have currently lost 41 lbs and started the Couch to 5 K program (C25K) to make sure I do not put it back on when I finally reach my goal weight. I have a support group on LoseIt.com and here on this great Website.!! I have support from family and Friends. I like having to go through the back of my closet to pull out the "skinny" clothes. They aren't really skinny but skinnier. I have lost over 1000 lbs in my life but have gained 1100. Working out is a lifestyle but changing what we eat is healthier. I have learned to "eat to live" instead of "live to eat" I still battle the "demons" of my old ways. I could easily slip right back into those bad habits if I let it. Every day I struggle with what I want to eat vs what I need to eat. I finally decided that I was going to get in shape and run a 5K, 10K, Sprint Triathalon, and one day get that 1/2 Marathon in. I'm 51 and I've never been a runner. I used to say "I would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than have to run!" But I have decided to change that. I still do not like running, I would rather do the eliptical, or go for a long walk. but again. It's not going to get me to my goal. You can do this and you can stick with it and you can become a Runner. You have a Great support group surrounding you and they are pulling for you. I hope to be under 200 in the future, but I honestly have not been there for 10 maybe even 15 years. My goal is 165 which is what I weighed in 1978.

Welcome to the "club" and we will gladly help you in anyway that we can.

Started C25K 6/26/2011 1 week out for injury recovery Repeated week 5 at higher altitude and week 6 because of traveling.

GRADUATED C25K 9/17/2011

Starting Weight 267 on 6/08/2011, 232#s on 8/4/2011, 226#s on 8/14/2011, 220#s on 9/3/2011, 216#s on 9/14/11, 214#s on 9/17/11, 210#s on 9/27/11, 207#s on 10/22/11, 203#s on 10/31/11, 195# 12/6/11, 189# 2/4/12, 185 2/14/12

Current Weight 183 2/22/12 not by Exercise or Diet Alone! COMBINED BOTH

Completed First Race Stephenville Lions Club Spooktacular 10K Oct 22 2011 1:04:09 10:21 pace 38/66 3rd place for over 50. PR

Tarleton University Homecoming 5K (3.46miles) Oct 29 2011 31:05 9:07 pace 37/87 6th place for over 50.

COWTOWN UNTHSC Half Marathon 2/26/2012 Over all 2767/6325 age group placement 182/350 2:11:02 PR

Running on Faith 5K 3/31/12 24:15 8:05 pace, Race was .1 miles short. 4th place for over 50. PR

http://athlinks.com/racer/114295812

http://www.endomondo.com/profile/2227052

http://runkeeper.com/user/charlesinarow/activity/46512892

http://www.facebook.com/#!/charles.alberson

http://charlesinarow.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...