Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4636 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2011 6:57 PM by NRDgirl RSS 1 2 Previous Next
teej213 Amateur 20 posts since
Mar 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 13, 2011 4:33 PM

HELP! What now?

I finished C25K on March 10. My 5k is March 26. What should I be doing until the 5k? Continue to run 30 min, run 3.1, HELP!!! Not sure what to do without my phone telling me...great job, now run Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Put your shoes on, put one foot in front of the other and believe in yourself!

C25K Grad 3/10/11

1st 5k Habitrot For Humanity Concord, NC 3/26/11 34:39 11:10pace

• Michelle74149 Pro 138 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    1. Mar 13, 2011 5:48 PM (in response to teej213)
    Re: HELP! What now?

I saw your post in the thread I started before I saw this one so I replied there. In brief-- keep running!!! Just saw you did 3.1 in 35. We're running at about the same pace. My first 3 miles I did at 34. The last 3 have been at 32. I'm not sure I can really go faster than that! Frankly, I'm still in the "Holy cow I can't believe I can run 3.1 miles" phase!

I'm new to running. I completed the couch to 5K program on March 11th.

First 5k, Seafarer's House,  completed April 2nd! 33:49

http://andsosheran.blogspot.com/

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Mar 13, 2011 6:16 PM (in response to teej213)

I kept running 3 days and week and then increased my runs on Saturday or Saturday until my first race. I didn't run the day before the race and I only ate 1/2 of a banana before the morning race. Good Luck

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    3. Mar 13, 2011 7:04 PM (in response to teej213)

Keep on running.  Maybe do a full 5K one day at a constant pace, and then maybe the next time you run, do it at a slower pace but throw in some brief spurts.  Spurts of about 50 yards or so.  As you run pick out a landmark ahead, a lamp post or a tree and try to run faster than you would usually for the full distance.  Don't go so fast that you have to stop once you get to the landmark.  Or maybe you can run the same distance but on a different course, or do your usual course but do it in the opposite direction.  Whatever you do try to have fun, and congrats on completing C25K and preparing for your first of hopefully many races.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

Mar 4, 2011
    5. Mar 15, 2011 3:24 PM (in response to teej213)

Exactly! At every phase along the way I was surprising myself. I'd run 3 minutes and be blown away that I did it. By the time I made it to 20 minutes straight I was pretty sure I was immortal. Running certainly is physical, but its so mental too. As you say, we have to get out of our own way sometimes and just GO. Let our bodies show us what they can do rather than allowing our doubts to trip us up.

And you keep posting too!

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    6. Mar 16, 2011 9:04 PM (in response to teej213)

Definitely keep running!  I would recommend three times per week (2-3 mile runs).  The week of your race, don't run after Tuesday, so you can allow your body to rest.  Usually, in longer races, you take the whole week off to rest before an event, but you should be fine as long as you take, wed/thurs/fri off :-)  And, really take those days off from physical exercise.  Don't go to the gym, and lift weights, or take a class because you risk injuring yourself, or making yourself really sore before your big day.  The most important thing is that you put in the time in the weeks prior preparing body for the big race, and then, you take care of it the week before :-)

A few pre-race tips: 

Week of: make sure to drink lots of water always, of course, but I usually try to increase my water intake the week before a race to ensure I'm well hydrated. 

Day Before:  Pick up your packet, and make sure that you have your clothes and race gear all laid out.  Here's a pre-race checklist to make sure you don't forget anything :-)

Also, plan on loading up on some carbs for dinner that night.  I usually make pasta with veggies, chicken, and a light sauce.

Day Of: I usually wake up early enough to eat breakfast two hours before race time.  This can be pretty early, depending on when your race starts, but its good to get something on your stomach (english muffin, almond butter, and banana for me), and allow it time to settle.  You don't want to worry about stomach issues during your first race.  Also, I do hydrate a little in the morning, but usually stop an hour before race time because I have this fear of having to go to the bathroom during a race, and I would hate to stop because its all about beating my last time, for me.  However, rest assured, that if you do have to go to the bathroom during your race, there are porter-potties along the route.

And, remember: 

“When your legs get tired, run with your heart”

Good Luck with your 5k & Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • Dar Kelly Pro 79 posts since
    Mar 17, 2010
    8. Mar 25, 2011 9:15 AM (in response to teej213)

Just take a deep breath and try to relax. This is the day that you have been training for. The nervous, "butterfly feeling", is a good thing! Keeps you on top of your game. For the rest of the day make sure you are hydrating enough. I like to alternate an electrolyte beverage, (Gatorade, Powerade, whatever you have trained with), and water through out the day. An easy way to make sure weather or not you are hydrating enough is to... check the color of your urine. If it is bright yellow, you need to increase your fluids. The color should be pale yellow to clear in color.

Then you should set everything up the night before...

- pin your number to your shirt or race belt,

- put your timing chip on your shoe,

- lay your clothes/shoes out for the race,

- set the alarm clock,

- get your pre-race meal ready for the morning,

- know where your keys are,

- take a towel and a dry set of clothes to leave in the car for after 5K,

Control the things that you are able to and don't worry about things you cannot.

Good luck and Have fun!

Mar 4, 2011
    9. Mar 26, 2011 6:35 AM (in response to teej213)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! So excited for you and really looking forward to hearing how it went! You better come back and give all the details. I run my first 5K next Saturday.

• Dar Kelly Pro 79 posts since
    Mar 17, 2010
    12. Mar 28, 2011 6:12 AM (in response to teej213)

Congratulations! It sounds like you had an awesome experience. I got chills reading your post about your first 5K. You did a great job! You are not a newbie, YOU ARE A RUNNER!  Keep it going!

Start happy, finish happier!

Dar

Mar 4, 2011
    13. Mar 28, 2011 4:52 PM (in response to teej213)

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I loved reading about the 5k from the perspective of someone who is on basically the same timeline as I am in their running evolution. Your insights and suggestions WILL be put to good use. Thankfully my first race starts at 5:30 PM-- much easier to prep for! You comments about the ding dongs who ran in front of you and then proceeded to walk cracked me up and I think I'll adopt "you are ready for this and you are going to rock it" as my race day mantra. Woooooooooo hoooo! So happy for you and excited for me!

And since you mentioned turning up the ipod/mp3 player/whatever...what do you like to listen to when you run?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points