Skip navigation

2534 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2012 4:51 PM by PGhardworkADED RSS
Killercross5 Amateur 8 posts since
Sep 8, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 16, 2011 4:53 PM

Finishing at the basket?

Hi! I'm a 5'4 pointguard and it's my offseason now so I've decide to really work on my game. This year I got all my points from open jumpshots and fast break layups, and didnt get that many points. Now, I'll be the oldest PG so i want to secure my role as the starter. So i just wanted to know if you guys had any tips on finishing at the rim? We play against 2-3 zones so i can beat the man up top, but the help defense gets to me and im forced to take bad shots/passes. Any tips on how to finish against big men waiting to block your shot? or anything you think that can help? Anyway thanks alot in advance!

• ElLatino Amateur 18 posts since
    Mar 12, 2011
    1. Mar 17, 2011 12:39 PM (in response to Killercross5)
    Re: Finishing at the basket?

i had the same problem. if u wanna score just go to the basket and take care of the ball, they probably  foul you.

if u don't  want to get your points from the line just make some fakes when you are driving

• StompingBulls Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    2. Mar 17, 2011 12:45 PM (in response to Killercross5)

Well ,considering your height and the fact that they block the paint out you might wanna try passing to an open shooter but don`t forget to target him before you make your move to the basket so that you don`t make a bad pass and turn the ball over.You could also try and force some body contact and even if the shot won`t fall at least you will get to the foul line.And I personally think that it is not necessary to start working hard on this.You might wanna improve what you already have established and work harder on that aspect of your game such as mid-range shooting or the 3 pointer.Trying to change your offensive style might hurt you in the long term.But do as you feel it is right.

• clk39 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    3. Mar 17, 2011 5:25 PM (in response to Killercross5)

There is a simple answer and solution to your question.

U have to learn how to do a runner/floater.   U have to finish in the paint with a floating shot or running shot  so it's harder for the big guys to block it.

Run into the lane and just flip it up. Can u do that?     Guys like Steve Nash always do that against big men and I think Nash has it down the best.

Look at that example below.   U can't be stopped if u use that!

• PGhardworkADED Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 26, 2011
    4. Sep 12, 2012 4:51 PM (in response to Killercross5)
    Finishing at the basket?

Hey man, Im a seinor and the starting pg for my team. I am a small guard too. I would suggest flashing to the middle and calling for the ball. You can a quick little jumper off or if the big man is rite there, pump fake and take it strong. If you beat your man baseline on the 2-3 I love to use my floater in that situation. Get it high up and hold your follow through. Height doesen't matter heart does. Keep ballen and good luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points