Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3554 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2011 3:50 PM by Evielou82 RSS
Evielou82 Rookie 6 posts since
Mar 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 17, 2011 3:32 PM

Need advice on how to survive week 5 of c25k

Hi everyone, I am new to running/jogging. I started this journey on Jan 3rd to lose weight and get healthier. Since then I have lost 20 lbs and a ton of inches. I have also found that I love running. I am running/walking a 5k this weekend. I am doing a c25k class with our parks dept and have learned some good tips, however I still can not run more than 10 min without stopping. I know I am getting better because at first the 60 secs were grueling but I cant seem to break past running/jogging 10 mins. I made it to week 5 on cool runnings program and can not seem to get to running 20 mins. I really want to go farther but my breathing gets rapid and I have a hard time. I am getting better at breathing in through my nose and out my mouth. Still a learning proccess though.  Just curious if anyone had any tips on endurance. Thank you everyone.

couch 25k class completed 3/17/11

St patricks day dash 5k 48 mins 3/19/2011

• makanasmom Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    1. Mar 17, 2011 3:53 PM (in response to Evielou82)
    Re: Need advice on how to survive week 5 of c25k

Hi! I had the same problem as you do and what I found really worked for me was slowing down my run to barely a jog. I repeated week five twice because I just could not go more than 10 minutes before feeling like my lungs were going to explode! Got some good advice here about slowing down my pace, and wonder of wonders, I completely skipped from week 6 day 2 to jogging 3 miles every other day. At first it felt as though I wasn't jogging much faster than I was walking, but I decided that going farther in distance was more important than going fast. Now whenever I feel like I'm getting out of breath, I slow down a bit to help get my breathing down. You will find that each day you do get a bit faster, but the trick right now is training your lungs as well as your muscles.

Good luck this weekend! I have my first 5K on Sunday and while two weeks ago I was so anxious and nervous about it, now I'm excited because I know that I can do it =)

• reddolp50 Legend 461 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    3. Mar 17, 2011 6:25 PM (in response to makanasmom)

Hello:

That is how I have handled the of pushing past a wall of no lung power - slow down.  I have actually

regressed recently with my new pursuit of plodding forward.  I seem to be in a constant state of

adjustment of speed up or slow down.  My speed up is more like lengthen the stride with the

hope of being a bit faster.  I try to set a visual of plodding to say the next block or the next fixed objecta distance away and evaluate - repeat or shorten the stride, decreasing my already slow speed.

I am amazed at some of the blog posts with times at 30 minute range + or -

I am beyond slow, it appears on paper like inch worm progress.

My dream is to run a 5k in 30-35 minutes and

I am way off on that, so I am going to just keep the goal of moving forward.

Penguins Rule, Penguin On, Penguin UP!

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

10/29/11 5k Chocolate Beano 42.52

• PJ Freeman Pro 115 posts since
    Feb 17, 2009
    5. Mar 17, 2011 7:40 PM (in response to Evielou82)

Hi Evielou - slow down like the others said and you can also make yourself go just a little further every time.  Just one more minute or twenty seconds or to the next pole or whatever.  Just make it a little further each time.  Make the plan work for you and adjust it if necessary.  I struggled with it and finally modified it to work for me.  I ended up running for five minutes then walking five minutes.  Every week I would add just one more minute to the running and take away a minute from the walking.  Finally I was able to run a whole 20 minutes and just added time on from there.  It's just a guideline.  Do what works for you.

We are way more capable then we think we are.  I joined a running club last year and the first week we had to run 4 miles I thought there was no way I could do it (up until then I had only ever run 3 miles a few times over the last couple of years).  I did do it.  It was mentally really hard to do.  My body was not happy and I wanted to stop so bad, but it wasn't unbearable and I really could make myself do it.  Every week we added a mile I thought there was no way I could do it, but I always did.

I am currently starting back up after having to take time off because of really bad shin splints and I am having the same fights with myself, but it is me that holds me back.  I recently read a Confucius quote, "He who conquers himself is the mightiest warrior."  I love it because it is so true.  I am by no means a real athlete and I run at a snail's pace, but I keep at it.  It's been really good to see that I can do more than I think I can.

Give yourself permission to take it slowly, keep working at it and push yourself a little bit more than you thought you could go. You can do it!!!

2010 Coronado Independence Day 5K - 40:12

2010 AFC 5K - August 15 - 37:32

2010 End of Summer Fire Run 4mi- August 29 - 49:55

2010 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Relay - October 2 - 57:12

2010 Shelter Island 5K - November 7 - 36:20 PR

2010 Silver Strand Half Marathon - November 14 - 3:14:05

2010 Las Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon - December 5 - 2:58:35

2010 Jingle Bell 5K for Arthritis - December 11 - 37:28

2011 Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker 10K - February 13 - 1:25:46

2011 Lost Dutchman 10K - February 20 - 1:19:11

2011 Saint Patrick's Day 10K - March 12 - 1:13:48 PR

2011 Carlsbad 5000 - April 3 - 34:30 PR

2011 Rock & Roll San Diego HM - June 5 - 2:51:54 PR

2011 Coronado Independence Day 5K - July 4 - 35:34

2011 America's Finest City 5 K- August 21 - 34:40

UPCOMING

2011 Rock & Roll Los Angeles - October 30

2012 Disneyland Tinkerbell Half - January 29

• buckdawg Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 9, 2011
    6. Mar 19, 2011 8:48 AM (in response to Evielou82)

Week 5 is a serious gut check in this program, I couldn't do D3 the first time I tried because I was going too fast. Went out the next day, made myself slow down and had the best run I'd ever had.  I felt so good about myself afterwards.  Remember, it's not a sprint.

That being said another thing I've been focusing on is my breathing.  Really try to breathe from your diaphragm and not your lungs, focus on your breaths, feel each breath you take, in and out.  Kind of like meditating if you do that.  I've noticed that really helps me.  Distracts the brain from telling you how much it hates you for doing what you're doing to your body

Mar 17, 2011
    7. Mar 19, 2011 9:00 AM (in response to buckdawg)

Thanks for the info buckdawg - can I get some more information on the breathing from the diaphram - I have struggled with breathing for a long time.

I am going to start back at week one as I am discouraged with my times for a 5k.  I would love to run it in 30 minutes.  I am a great ways from that

goal. 

Appreciate the information and encouragement from all of you.  Just what I need to keep pushing forward.

laurie

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

• buckdawg Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 9, 2011
    9. Mar 19, 2011 9:17 AM (in response to reddolp50)

I feel your pain reddolph, really I do.  I want to be faster and I place expectations on myself that I'm not ready for yet.  It's silly of me to do so considering the fact that I've led a fairly sedentary lifestyle from the time I got out of high school (long long time ago) up until about 9 weeks ago.  The most important thing is to believe in yourself. Be proud of your accomplishments to this point and keep going.  Do you need to start over?  Can you just run more?  I am no expert but getting out there and just putting one foot in front of the other is the most important thing.  Don't worry about pace or time just run.

Your pace is supposed to be comfortable, conversational with an effort level of about 7 on a scale of 1 - 10.  If you push yourself too hard not only do you risk injury but you risk burning yourself out and running a 50 minute 5k (or whatever) is 100x's better than not running a 5k at all.  I need to remind myself constantly why I'm doing this, to get in better physical shape and to lose weight.  I'd love to run a 10:00 mile and I think eventually I'll get there but that's not what is in my best interest right now...it's a goal to shoot for.

Here are some links to breathing that may help.  It takes some practice but I tried it out yesterday and had a really good run.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/87391-breathing-jogging/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5jTngZqrhI

Believe in yourself!

Mar 17, 2011
    10. Mar 19, 2011 11:53 AM (in response to buckdawg)

Thanks Buckdawg!

That is what I have believed - and started looking too far ahead.  I will just move slowly forward and finish the race at my comfortable pace.  I have   

operated from since I began plodding forward again in Jan.  I committed to the 100 days of activity and need to keep my goals focused on where I

am at in fitness.   I am at the 50 minute 5k, and that is usually a walk/run.  A couple weeks ago I was plodding up a hill on my usual run and there

was a pop or something and instant pain in my right lower, inside portion of my calf - low.  I have been walking more, and paying attention to my body.  I

keep moving forward, not sidelined with an injury.     Will check out those links as well.  Huge Thanks!         

laurie     

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...