Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3916 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2011 9:22 AM by Derdekai RSS 1 2 Previous Next
whopper68 Amateur 9 posts since
Mar 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 20, 2011 2:02 AM

Starting from scratch...but thats ok

hey everyone, names Steve

I decided this year i would finally make a change in size...ive been a big guy all my life...never had issues was actually healthy in high school due to sports...now im 24 and decided, this year id change a few things up in my life, my weight being the biggest...

i started this whole work out for myself, its  on of the few things in life we cant pay or bother someone else to do for us...lol...i started working out 2 weeks into the new yr...weighed in at 332lbs...2 weeks into it, frustration of not noticing changes i re weighed again, to my surprise, i weighed in at 310lbs...after seeing that, it was all i needed to keep going...ive promised myself to only weigh in every month, i realized (from past faults) that weighing in every week or so, would be frustrating and i cant handle it and give up...this way, with a month weigh in, i can just focus and live my life...my second weigh in was the end of Feb, i was hoping to see only another 5 pounds lost or so, to my surprise, i weighed in at 295.5, worried the scale might be broken i weighed my self 3 times on the same scale and 2 other scales...my next weigh in is next sunday...im excited to see how it goes, but know weigh lost tends ot slow down...also sometimes the body refuses to loose weigh...wether its a 1 pound or 5, ill be happy.

i dont have a set work schedule since i am a student and work part time, i tend to just work out one day, rest the next, and work out again the day after, unless my schedule allows for 2 days of continued workouts i take advantage of it...

i workout at the local Resrvoir where pretty much everyone and anyone works out, its a nice 2.2 every lap, with incline and decline. the path switches between dirt and concrete.  clockwise is not as intense as counter clockwise, so i tend to alternate going one way then the other, i was told by a bud that it helps prevent muscle memory. from what i read here, im a penguin, at a slow (but steady pace) after a month and a half of working out, i can finally complete 1 lap non stop, which to me is incredible since when i first started, i could barely do not even a 1/4 of the distance...recently ive been able ot do the slow steady lap. plus continue about another mile or soo before i need to slow down and walk. i went from being able to do only 1 lap to averaging 2 to 3 per workout when time allows (before work) days i dont work i do 4, still walking mostly, but my jogging distances have increased soo much...it awesome...

ive change my intake aswell, cut out as many unecessaries as possible, soda, junk food, fast food...i still enjoy a beer here and there, and still smoke ( but no where near as before, pack a week has now turned to a pack every 2 weeks, thats including giving some out)...i due tend to quit. as far as "cheat day" goes, i dont tend to take advantage of them as ive been told to...if i dont crave it, i dont bother, i stick to my cleaner eating...out of this whole time of working out ive probably had 2 "cheat meals", but nowhere to an excess...i figure i am only human...ive started to eat more lean meats, a lot less red, more veggies, less carbs (being in a Mexican house hold is tough, sweet bread, tortillas, rice...dammit..lol) started to eat fish again aswell...

my only goal for this year so far is to hit 250...i weight i havent been in probably over 6yrs...ive gone from wearing 42w pants to fitting into 38w, and maybe close to a 36w...went from being at the very last hole in my belt, to now comfortably wearing the last hole at the other end...so i know its working, even if i dont see it...friends i see on a daily tell me, family, and friends i see once in a blue moon, just cant believe ive changed from the last time i saw them...

im sorry for writting a book as my first post...i can only hope this continues...i dont plan on stopping this time...

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Mar 20, 2011 9:05 PM (in response to whopper68)
    Re: Starting from scratch...but thats ok

Congrats for making the decision to be healthy, this is the place to come to for support and advise from others who have been where are! Good Luck!

Maria

• Menello Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    3. Mar 21, 2011 11:48 AM (in response to whopper68)

Hey there, I really appreciated your story. I'm surprised every day by how much people are willing to divulge on this forum... I'm thinking I may do the same one of these days.

I just wanted to leave a note to encourage you in your "quest for fitness". I can definitely appreciate the attempt to eat well with all of your favourite tasty foodstuffs going around. Just stay strong and keep fighting the fight. It sounds like you're doing a great job right now. My best advice would probably be just to stick to it. You'll have weeks that aren't so great and weeks that are awesome, but just keep to your schedule and your plan (short of injuring yourself. If you feel any stabbing pains or anything, STOP).

And keep posting here. It's a great spot.

Team Captain for Sole Food

IT Professional in training

Running blog:

http://gruns.blogspot.com

• Menello Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    5. Mar 24, 2011 11:50 AM (in response to whopper68)

Hey, how have things been going over the last couple of days? Gone on any runs lately?

Team Captain for Sole Food

IT Professional in training

Running blog:

http://gruns.blogspot.com

• Derdekai Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    7. Mar 25, 2011 8:09 AM (in response to whopper68)

The song "You're my inspiration" comes to mind... but seriously... yours is a wonderful story! Makes me almost wish I lived in SoCal so I could have a running partner! I will keep you in my prayers. Have you picked a 5-K yet? When you do, be sure to post it so we can all root for you!  Good health, happiness, and understanding to you and yours.

Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. --Sir Cecil Beaton

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    8. Mar 25, 2011 8:16 AM (in response to Derdekai)

Congratulations!  That is a great accomplshment. Keep it up!

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Mar 27, 2011 11:48 AM (in response to whopper68)

Congratulations! 

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    12. Mar 27, 2011 12:07 PM (in response to whopper68)

Wow!  You are doing a great job!  I think the monthly weigh in is a really good idea.  It's saving you tons of stress.  At some point you're going to level off, and I hope you don't consider that in any way a negative.  Every single day you look at yourself and see a healthier person, no matter the number on a scale.  Just giving yourself good attention as a matter of habit will make you more likely to keep on doing it.  That's the beauty of habit building.  You are getting in the habit of making healthier decisions for yourself.  More power to you!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• Derdekai Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    13. Mar 27, 2011 12:26 PM (in response to whopper68)

CONGRATULATIONS!  That's awesome!!!!!

Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. --Sir Cecil Beaton

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...