Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

721 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2011 7:50 AM by Leadville Fan
akmeade Rookie 6 posts since
Jun 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 23, 2011 6:22 AM

Need rest or new shoes?

I was training for a half marathon at the end of February when 2 weeks before I ran into a bit of knee pain (left leg, have had trouble before).  It wasn't completely debilitating, but I took the last week off, tried to keep up endurance on the elliptical, and ran in the race.  I was in a bit of pain during the race but nothing unbearable.  I took one week off completely, then started up on the elliptical again, feeling good (I have NO pain when I'm on the elliptical).  I was in DC last week and the spring weather motivated me to break out the running shoes.  Admittedly, I was a bit overzealous (tried a 4 miler after 3 weeks off) but at the end I ended up with pain I was unfamiliar with (shin pain in both legs, hip pain in right leg, etc.).  I took a few days off, then decided to try an "easy" 2 miler outside.  Felt good coming out, but again ended up with shin pain and hip pain.  I also am finding some pain in the back of my knee (that's a new one!). 

Took a few MORE days off, and last night tried an easy 2 miles on the treadmill.  Felt pretty good running, but again had shin pain, and my footfalls felt really heavy.  I also noticed that on my left leg I was clenching my toes.  Now today my hip is hurting again.  I feel like I'm falling apart!  A month ago I ran 13 miles!  I AM due for new shoes though, and part of me is wondering if that could be causing all of these problems?  I'm in Nike LunarGlides (the originals), this is my second pair and I really have been pretty happy with them.  Or, do I really just need rest?  (Why must that always happen when we get to the best running weather, at least in New England?)

I'm planning to go to a local running store for an evaluation (and to get new shoes regardless) but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. 

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Mar 23, 2011 6:46 AM (in response to akmeade)
    Re: Need rest or new shoes?

Try new shoes and be a little more consistence with your running.  To me sounds like you have plenty of rest.  I get sluggish and find new pains when I don't run my normal days.

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    2. Mar 23, 2011 7:50 AM (in response to akmeade)
    Re: Need rest or new shoes?

Try new shoes and do a new treadmill running fit test.

I had been wearing the same style shoe for the last 2 years and the ones I bought in December were just not working for me.  It turns out the company changed the way they made those shoes. It was hard for me to run more than 4 miles at a time without something hurting.   I'm in a completely different brand now.

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...