Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1933 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2011 7:23 PM by YoBlue!
trexonu Pro 163 posts since
Feb 22, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 27, 2011 7:49 AM

Batter/ runner missing 1B mechanic

Man, I don't like it, but the mech we are taught for the BR missing 1B as he passes the base is the safe call.  The question I have is, is the appeal process the same as a fly ball left early mech where the D team makes an unmistakable appeal that the BR missed 1B, or can it be an out if cauaslly, after the catch by F3 he touches 1B and doe NOT actively appeals the missed base?

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Mar 27, 2011 8:03 AM (in response to trexonu)
    Re: Batter/ runner missing 1B mechanic

No accidental appeals, he has to make an unmistakable appeal.

Michael S. Taylor

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Mar 27, 2011 8:23 AM (in response to trexonu)

Don't complicate the simple. It's a missed base. It's no different than missing 2B or 3B.

May 25, 2007
    4. Mar 27, 2011 9:48 AM (in response to trexonu)

You don't signal safe every time a runner touches a base do you? Don't complicate things.

You only call "safe" if there's a play made at the base and a call is needed - at 1B, 2B, or 3B. Otherwise just do nothing - just like normal - even at 1B.

Home is different.  If there's no play you just let it go (normal).

If there's a play AND the runner misses home AND the tag is missed - do nothing and wait for furthert action. Otherwise call what you see.

May 25, 2007
    5. Mar 27, 2011 10:24 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

The safe call on a missed base is used at any base, including home, if it a force. If it is a tag play then you call what happens.

Michael S. Taylor

• YoBlue! Expert 47 posts since
    Jun 24, 2007
    6. Mar 27, 2011 11:24 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

It's my understanding that any missed tag is at least a play on the runner, so the Safe mechanic and a "No Tag!" verbalization is warranted.

"Many baseball fans look upon an umpire as a  sort of necessary evil to the luxury of baseball, like the odor that  follows an automobile." - Christie Mathewson

May 25, 2007
    7. Mar 27, 2011 12:48 PM (in response to YoBlue!)

That is correct. If they are attempting a tag of a runner then you have to make a call. If they are attempting to touch a base for a force and miss it then show safe and wait for an appeal.

Michael S. Taylor

May 25, 2007
    8. Mar 27, 2011 12:49 PM (in response to Michael_Taylor)

I said you only call "safe" if there's a play made at the base and a call is needed Do you really signal "safe" when R1 goes by 2B on a double in the gap?

I didn't think so.

May 25, 2007
    9. Mar 27, 2011 12:53 PM (in response to Rich_Ives)

I agree Rich, you aren't showing safe at every base touched, that would be nuts.

Michael S. Taylor

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    10. Mar 27, 2011 2:19 PM (in response to YoBlue!)

YoBlue! wrote:

It's my understanding that any missed tag is at least a play on the runner, so the Safe mechanic and a "No Tag!" verbalization is warranted.

Be careful.  This is not the case at home plate when the fielder misses the tag, but the runner misses the plate.  As Rich mentioned, when a runner slides past home without touching it and the catcher misses the tag, the umpire makes no call.  Chances are, both players will attempt to correct their mistakes, and the umpire waits until that happens to render a final decision.  If neither player does anything further, the umpire stays quiet.

Now, that's the mechanic in OBR.  In other organizations, it may be different.  For example, in ASA softball, the mechanic is to make a delayed Safe call if niether player does anything.

May 25, 2007
    11. Mar 27, 2011 9:10 PM (in response to Manny_A)

Let me try to say again what I thought I said earlier. If it is a force and a play was attempted buut the runner missed the base, show safe. This is true at any base including home, not just first. If it is a tag play then you call what happened. A tag play requires a call. If a runner is touching a base but there is no play then the umpire does nothing.

Michael S. Taylor

• Mark_in_SD Legend 207 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    12. Mar 28, 2011 9:37 AM (in response to Michael_Taylor)

I would agree that Home and First would be the same call on a force play (the runner can "overrun" both and not be in jeopardy), but is this really an issue at 2nd and 3rd?  If the runner misses the base, he is clearly not ON the base and is in jeopardy of being put out!  Or maybe you call him "Safe" to let the defense know that he beat the ball to the bag and they now need to tag him...

May 25, 2007
    13. Mar 28, 2011 9:55 AM (in response to Mark_in_SD)

I agree that is unlikely at second or third but possible if the runner misses and attempts to advance on a throw to another base.

Michael S. Taylor

• YoBlue! Expert 47 posts since
    Jun 24, 2007
    14. Mar 30, 2011 7:23 PM (in response to Manny_A)

Well, there's the ASA way and the way that seems to make sense. That's true of all rule sets. I think if a play is attempted any other time and we signal Safe with a "No Tag!" verbalization, it seems like telegraphing the missed plate if we don't do it in that case. No Tag is No Tag, nothing more. DIdn't say Safe...

"Many baseball fans look upon an umpire as a  sort of necessary evil to the luxury of baseball, like the odor that  follows an automobile." - Christie Mathewson

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...