Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1526 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2011 1:46 PM by treharnevx RSS
Cierra B. Rookie 4 posts since
Aug 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 27, 2011 1:07 PM

Half Marathon Training after hiatus

I had just begun training for my first half-marathon a month ago when I broke up with my boyfriend of three years. My life turned upside down and I completely dropped training while I was rearranging my life. I've only run 3 times in the last month.

My race is scheduled for May 22nd (California Classic Half in Fresno), which gives me 8 weeks left to prepare. Can I do it? Is it possible to run a half with only 8 solid weeks of training after a 4 week hiatus? I don't have a time goal, I just want to finish. A month ago I had been running 3 times a week and cycling every day I didn't run. My weekday runs were 2-3 miles and my long run was 4 (I've only been running for about 8 months).

Is is reasonable to start up training up again? I had been using the John Bingham training program. Should I start up where I "should be" eight weeks out from a race? Or should I just run what I can and increase mileage as I can?

Any feedback welcome.

• C Caldwell Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    1. Apr 7, 2011 11:35 AM (in response to Cierra B.)
    Re: Half Marathon Training after hiatus

Cierra

Hey! I think it is possible if u focus on the goal! I would start slow and pick it up! I also have a set back and I am training for a 1/2 marathon as well!

I say get back out there and run a few miles a day 5 days a wk! Start very slow! Pick back up with cycling or a dvd series like Jillian Michaels or p90x for strength/cross training. By the 2nd to 3rd week try to run 3 to 4 miles a day for 4 days a wk. maybe mon, wed, fri, and then sat with Tues and thurs being your cross training days. and sun would be your day of complete rest! Then work up to 5 or 6 miles by the 4th week. By the 6th week aim for 7 to 8 miles.

The 7th week I would run easy whatever I felt the first day and maybe Wed of that wk run 10 miles rest of the week run easy

By the week of the race strength training a few days and maybe a light run one day.

If u build up your strength I believe u can run the 1/2 by then!

Concentrate on the goal and u can do it! Be disciplined and focus! Make sure u rest some in between running! 1 step at a time!

Best of luck!

• treharnevx Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    2. Apr 7, 2011 1:46 PM (in response to Cierra B.)
    Re: Half Marathon Training after hiatus

Welcome back.  I too recently returned after a great hiatus.  I would definitely run what you can, increase mileage and increase time.  Try to get back on the Bingham training program amd find a local group that is training and run with them if possible.  Good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points