Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

958 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2011 8:29 PM by flamomof3 RSS
stanroze Rookie 3 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 27, 2011 2:46 PM

New runner introduction

Hello everyone, I thought i'd sign up here and share my story.

Next week will be my Week 4 of C25K and I can't wait to start it. The reasons for me starting a C25K (aside from fitness benefits) are probably much different from most of you here.

I am 26/m (27 next month) and 140lbs with 11% body fat (per my amatuer calculations) so I am not here to lose weight. You see I have been suffering from an anxiety/panic disorder for 5 years now and about 7-8 weeks ago I came down with a full blown depression..after mulling around in total isolation for about 3-4 weeks on the brink of going crazy, I started running. At first I made a lot of mistakes, I went out and ran to failure, I couldn't run a mile without going out of breath and subsequently getting a panic attack as you see a lot of symptoms after excessive exercise match with a panic attack (rapid heart, can't breathe, feeling tired..etc). I was very upset with myself so I somehow convinced myself that I am out of shape and I started the C25K program, vowing to stick to it.

I was excited to complete the first day of week one, but I was completely out of it, out of breath and just going through intense anxiety thoughts...they usually last about 10-20mins after the run and then I get an instant feeling of achievement, calmness and motivation. I loved this feeling, so I continued running. I used running like an anti-depressant medication, whenever I felt sad or in a bad mood I'd go outside and do some cardio work, of course my legs are consistently tired, but 4 weeks into it I can say that my mind is refreshed, I am more confident in myself, I am not getting anxiety attacks after running any more and I overall feel happier and determined. I finished my 3rd day of Week 3 today and I didn't feel tired, so I did a small jog which turned out to be a 10-min mile and I am very proud of myself, not on any physical side, but what I am achieving mentally.

Hopefully I can get support here and you guys will keep me motivated

Thats my story,

Stan.

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    1. Mar 27, 2011 4:09 PM (in response to stanroze)
    Re: New runner introduction

Welcome Stan and tks for sharing your story wi/ us.  You will find running is very terapeutic.  Take it slow and easy and enjoy the process. Join in on some of the beginner thread of a group that is about the same wk as you on the C25K.   You will find many friends and much support.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck and happy running.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• ohbuggy Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 14, 2011
    2. Mar 27, 2011 7:09 PM (in response to stanroze)

Stan,

I myself suffer from depression and anxiety, and also find that running helps me cope with the symptoms. I've read somewhere that a running regimen can be just as effective as antidepressants. Who knows if that holds true for me, but so far so good! I feel so relaxed and happy after I exercise. It also is great to get out of the house and see the neighborhood, even though it is still quite cold out. I have a feeling as the weather gets better, I'll enjoy the running even more! But looking on the bright side of things, we've already started running in less than ideal conditions, which means when winter rolls around next year, we'll know what to expect.

Good luck. I hope your running continues to be as enjoyable! It is great that you started.

Brooks

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Mar 27, 2011 8:29 PM (in response to stanroze)

Hello Stan and Welcome! this is a great place to come for support and advice!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...