Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

24044 Views 167 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2011 10:02 PM by hanjinyo 1 2 3 ... 12 Previous Next
smarie24 Rookie 5 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2011 7:07 AM

Starting C25K Monday 3/28/11

I just had my second child in December and I have decided to start running to set a good example for my girls.  I had gestational diabetes while I was pregnant this last time and type 2 diabetes runs in my family, so I am trying to do everything I can to not become another member of my family with diabetes.  I am not overweight, but I am also not where I would like to be or where I should be to be my healthiest.

Running is not something I enjoy . . . at all.  I need all the encouragement I can get in order to keep up with this!

Any advice?

• PolyGirl9 Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    1. Mar 28, 2011 8:04 AM (in response to smarie24)
    Re: Starting C25K Monday 3/28/11

Hey SMarie!

I also do not enjoy running but I've been having these weird dreams lately where I go for a run...and have fun.  I figure maybe it's my body's way of telling me that if I just start I'll end up liking it.

I'm not in very good shape - I played hockey through college and used to be in amazing shape so this extra 30lbs that I'm carying now makes me feel so gross!  I've been working on losing it and figure getting some more exercise in might help.  Aside from the movitvation issue I also have back problems and am not sure how running (well, jogging) will factor in.  But I figure all I can do is try and see how it goes.

If you're up for it I'd be happy to be C25K buddies with you!

Janet

• LeonaWFU98 Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    3. Mar 28, 2011 9:34 AM (in response to smarie24)

Hi there!  I, too, just started the C25K today.  I have never really run before, and have never considered myself an athlete - my talents are more in the creative arenas, I guess

I have a lot of weight to lose, and have been working with a personal trainer for weight training...but I wanted something that could hopefully keep me motivated to also make it to the gym on those days I need to be doing cardio!

Excited to see how this goes, and had also been hoping for some other folks working through it as well.  Glad someone else is starting today!

Good luck!!

One step at a time, one pound at a time...

January 1, 2011 - 277 lbs.  (Goal: 175)

Started C25K  March 28, 2011  (262 lbs)

W1 completed  April 2, 2011 (260.5 lbs)

• Jen6011 Amateur 13 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    5. Mar 28, 2011 12:14 PM (in response to smarie24)

I'm starting today as well!  I also had Gestational Diabetes with both of my pregnancies and have about 15 pounds of weight I would like to lose.  I've never been a runner so I am a little nervous.  I know if I can get going with this then it will be a great way to stay fit. I also need the encouragement. Hopefully we can keep this thread going!

• PolyGirl9 Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    6. Mar 28, 2011 12:47 PM (in response to smarie24)

Hi Jen and Leona.

I'm so glad we have a group!     Like SMarie, I will be doing W1D1 after work today...or tonight, I  suppose.  Ah, the life of a grad student working 11 hour days. 

I took time over lunch to make a playlist on my iPod; I  made the songs 60 and 90 seconds so that when the song changes I know  to switch from walking to jogging (and vice versa).

How did the first day go for you ladies?

Janet

• Didi8367 Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    7. Mar 28, 2011 2:51 PM (in response to PolyGirl9)

Very excited to find this thread as I am starting today also. I have been walking/running for about 6 weeks already, but it's taken me a while to decide that I liked it enough to try to "make it offcial" and start the program.

Good luck to everyone!

• SHOTGUN285 Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 3, 2009
    8. Mar 28, 2011 4:05 PM (in response to smarie24)

Good luck to you!  I used to run a lot in the Marines but have been out of it for a while after 2 knee surgeries.  I ran about a mile today for the first time in a long time, and it wasn't as bad as I had thought.

The biggest thing to remember is a lot of this is mental.  As we used to say "mind over matter - if you don't mind, it don't matter".   Don't hurt yourself, make sure you get lots of recovery but don't be afraid to push yourself either.   Learn the difference between pain from injury and pain that is the discomfort from using muscles that haven't seen much work in a while, if ever.  Read some good articles on nutrition and recovery.  Get your rest, take your vitamins, etc.  If you are really sore, try and find a hot tub.  They are the greatest thing on earth for aching muscles.   Massage is also good for you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Greg

If it's important, you'll find a way. If it's not important, you'll find an excuse.

• SiberMom Pro 104 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    9. Mar 28, 2011 6:45 PM (in response to smarie24)

I just started today, too!  I'm a bit older than you gals...my boys are in their early 20's.  I am very excited to get started. 

I have 15 pounds to lose before I turn 50! 

Cooter 5K completed May 28, 2011 in 34:05!

Lake Placid Half Marathon  June 12, 2011 in 2:48:06!

Madrid Bluegrass Ramble 5K completed  June 25, 2011 in 34:38!

Massena 5K completed July 2, 2011 in 34:48 with casualites...LOL!

Tour de Potsdam 5K completed July 14, 2011: untimed

Maine Half Marathon scheduled October 2, 2011

• leslie142 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    10. Mar 28, 2011 7:04 PM (in response to smarie24)

I just started today too.  I'm 35 years old and I've decided that this is the year that I get myself in shape.  I am new to running.  The prospect of challenging myself in this way excites me, but scares me too.  I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to do this, but I'm committed to trying.  I'm glad this program starts out slow and works up slowly.  I just finished my first run tonight... my body handled it okay, but I realized that I need to get my lungs in shape!!

• MonieMc Pro 62 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    11. Mar 28, 2011 7:56 PM (in response to smarie24)

Hello all! After realizing that I'll be on vacay the last week of april, and the half marathon I've registered for is on Sept 3, I decided to start the C25K tomorrow, rather than next week. Hope y'all don't mind another buddy.   Given that the c25k is 9 weeks and the half marathon is 12 weeks, I'll have 2 weeks of play between now and Sept 3. Cutting kind of close, but doable. Good luck everyone! trying to train while on vacay should prove interesting. I'll keep you posted.

Upcoming races:

Aug 13 - Warrior Dash

Sept 3 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon

Nov 12 - Qdoba 15K

• Lenachka Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    12. Mar 28, 2011 8:57 PM (in response to smarie24)

Hey everyone! I just finished my first week of C25k and would definitely call myself a fledgling newbie! I'm doing Week 2 Day 1 tomorrow! I'd love to be part of your group and keep each other motivated!

• mkate48 Amateur 29 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    13. Mar 28, 2011 9:06 PM (in response to smarie24)

I started today too.  I'm not a couch potato but I have a bad shoulder so had to find something that wouldn't aggravate it.  I'm 48 so it's getting harder to stay in shape.  I'm not overweight but I am under toned!!  LOL  I work 2, sometimes 3 jobs.  One is waiting tables so that helps but I fool myself into thinking that's a "workout".  Apparently it isn't considering how sore I was when I started a different workout last week.  The shoulder thing couldn't take it though.  I've always loved walking (fast) but it just doesn't seem to be enough so I'm hoping running will be what I need.  I have a lot of friends that love running!  I've never joined anything like this before so maybe the support will be fun!

Marcie  :~)

1 2 3 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points