Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

24116 Views 167 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2011 10:02 PM by hanjinyo Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next
  • Danielle46221 Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 31, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Apr 11, 2011 10:51 AM (in response to MonieMc)
    Re: Starting C25K Monday 3/28/11

My latest update:

It was thundering and storming on Saturday morning. So I hopped on my treadmill and did W2D3, then W3D1 back to back. I know we aren't probably supposed to do this, but I was feeling really good and decided after W2D3 just to 'try' the next day and see what happened. Next thing I knew it was almost over. Then immediately I regretted it...thinking I would hurt a lot by the next day. Luckily that didnt happen.

I was able to do W3D2 this morning with mostly no problem. Seems my legs are taking the 3-minute runs harder than my lungs. I did most of the running at 5.0 to 5.3 mph, but the last minute of the 3-minute run times I had to slow down to 4.7 mph. When I finished the routine today, I just added a fast walk at the end to make my mileage total 5k.

I hope everyone else is doing well on their goals for C25K. I am very glad to be able to keep up with it this time. The first time I tried it almost a year ago, I only did W1D1, things came up, and I never did it again until now.

On a side note, I am posting my workouts completed on Facebook. Getting some encouragement there as well. Some friends are asking if they don't have smartphones, can they find the app as a video, etc. Anyone know the answer to this question?

Danielle

My upcoming events (which I will likely walk/jog, not run )

Susan B. Komen Race for the Cure, Saturday, April 16, 2011, 5K

Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini Marathon, Saturday, May 7, 2011, 13.1 Miles

• mkate48 Amateur 29 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    121. Apr 11, 2011 1:38 PM (in response to Danielle46221)

Danielle, you're a crazy person!!!

I did W3D1 today and it wasn't as horrible as I had imagined.  It was still rough but now my nightmares can end! 

Marcie  :~)

• hanjinyo Amateur 18 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    122. Apr 11, 2011 2:41 PM (in response to mkate48)

My W3D1 was horrible as well!  I don't know how I ever made it to Week 5 the previous times I've done this.  And that was outside in Beijing with all the smog too!  Glad everyone is pounding away.  Last week I made it through without a hitch even though I had a cold.  I was popping Airborn tablets like tic-tacs.  It prevented my cold from getting any worse so thanks for the tip!  Also, I read this article about whether or not you should run when you're sick.  It gave me the guidlines I needed to know whether I should rest that day or not.  http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--9082-0,00.html   It's worth a look. 

It's only been a few weeks since we've started the training, but thinking back, doesn't it feel like ages ago?!

• MonieMc Pro 62 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    123. Apr 11, 2011 2:59 PM (in response to hanjinyo)

You guys are doing so awesome!!

I went out and did a test run. 2 minutes in and had sharp pains in my ankle. *sigh* I'm wondering if I'll ever get to finsih this and make it on the the half. I know that's a bit melodramatic, but that's how I feel at the moment.

Upcoming races:

Aug 13 - Warrior Dash

Sept 3 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon

Nov 12 - Qdoba 15K

• leslie142 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    124. Apr 11, 2011 8:00 PM (in response to smarie24)

I had a tough time with W2D3 on Saturday and I've been dreading trying W3D1.  I talked myself into going for it tonight and I'm so glad I did.  It went a lot better than I expected!  I actually made it through the whole thing without cheating!!  I'm hoping the weather stays nice this week so I can keep up this momentum.  Now I can start dreading week 4 as I work through week 3.  Keep up the good work everyone!!

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    125. Apr 12, 2011 5:30 AM (in response to smarie24)

Congrats to everyone who made it through W3D1.  I don't know why but I had thought we had to do the whole cycle would have more runs to it. There were only four runs correct?

Danielle, did I read correctly you did W2 andW3 one right after another (eg- the same outting).  Your monster! and I'm impressed.

I'm equally impressed with everyone who is trying to tackle this 5K!

My W3D1 was ok.  I tried to tackle those damn hills again, which I won't do for a while again.  Here is my runkeeper link:http://runkeeper.com/user/72620102/activity/31368537

Its pretty sad to see the difference between my runs and walks.  For anyone interested, I walked the first 10.45 then began the first run segment.  Then when the offical program was over I had to walk home, so the total trek was 3.4 miles.  I do think I did one extra 90 sec run.  I wonder if there is a way to drop pins or markers in the runkeeper program so I can tap the screen at the beginning/end of runs.  Clearly I can't pace my runs (or my walks if you look at the end).

I'm happy to say that I get to do 2 more days of W3 before seeing what they have in store for us!

Stephanie

PS Hang in their MonieMC!

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• Danielle46221 Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 31, 2011
    126. Apr 13, 2011 12:47 PM (in response to edensacres)

W3 update:

So I did a walk only on Sunday (4 miles) casual walk with my sister.

Did W3D2 on Monday a.m. on the treadmill. Did a fast walk at the end to make total distance 5k.

Did W3D3 on Tuesday p.m. on the treadmill. Did a fast walk at the end to make the total distance 4 miles.

W3D2 was tough. Had to really stalk myself into it. But once started it was ok. Then W3D3 was tougher to get into it. I find the running is worse until you are warmed up. I may add more walking to the front end of the sessions so I am more warmed up. I find that once I am warmed up I don't have as much trouble.

I am seriously worried about W4/D1. The 3 minutes running has pushed my lungs. Not sure if it is better to walk a bit or just run at a slower pace till I am used to the longer running parts? I am also debatig doing W3D3 again, since I am technically still in week 3.

The good news is that my shins are hurting much less than the first 2 weeks. Maybe I have worked through the worst parts.

Anyone know a good website for runner's stretches. I have been getting by so far not really stretching. As the running lengths get longer, I am thinking I may need to start that.

Thanks!

Danielle

Mar 30, 2011
    127. Apr 13, 2011 3:02 PM (in response to Danielle46221)

Yes the 3 minutes were killing my lungs for D2, but I learned to manage by running at a VERY SLOW pace.  Anyone else having to run like a turtle to refrain from keeling over due to your lungs about to burst?  But to keep myself from being too easy on myself, I run faster in the last run interval and just pound it out.  I probably wont' be able to do that next week though with the 5 minute sessions.  So I'm learning a bit more each time about what works for me and what doesn't.  I tend to run during the late morning and am so pooped in the evening.  I thought running was supposed to give you more energy!  And I'm having to avoid being around food all the time because my appetite has grown exponentially.  I don't feel really, but I notice that when I am already eating, I can't stop.  I feel like cookie monster. 

Mar 28, 2011
    128. Apr 13, 2011 7:27 PM (in response to hanjinyo)

W3D2 done!  It's funny how back in week one, I wondered how I would ever be able to run for three minutes straight in week 3.  Week 3 has been going surprisingly well.  Now I'm wondering how I'll make it through two 5 minute running sessions in week 4!!  Has anyone else looked ahead to week 4?  We jump from 9 minutes running to 16 minutes.  That seems huge!  I hope that I continue to surprise myself!

I also feel like I'm running like a turtle.  I figure I'm going to try to make it through this program at whatever pace I need to and then I can worry about speed.  I always feel like I need to make a disclaimer if I tell people that I'm "running"... really I'm just moving at a walking pace while lifting my legs a little higher so it looks like running in slow motion.  Okay, that might be a little dramatic, but that's what I imagine it looks like!! 

Mar 30, 2011
    129. Apr 13, 2011 10:56 PM (in response to leslie142)

Hahaha Leslie, that's exactly how I feel too!  People will say, "Oh!  Let's go running together."  Umm..... NO.  I'm super slow and also I have to really concentrate on my breathing thus no time to chat during the run.  Also, my legs are rather short so I usually have to triple my stride for their one.  Good to hear W3 is going well for you, keep it up

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    130. Apr 14, 2011 6:55 AM (in response to smarie24)

Well I happy to know I'm not the only questioning my speed.  Based on everyone's reporting though, I'm pretty certain we are moving faster than when our butts were on the couch.

I did complete W3D2, on a treadmill.  At the end of the three minute runs I was ready to stop- but I didn't cheat.  I too am intimitdated by the 5 minute run coming up.  Having hit a wall in Week 4 once before its particularly intimidating.  One suggetion for week 4 and on that I am going to follow is that I am going to try to follow is paying attention to my target heart rate and keeping it in an appropriate range (eg not to exceed 169)  -which will mean I will have to slow down my running pace (and then of course my walking pace so they are not the same).  The idea is that the heart rate can help us find the right speed for the distance/time we are trying complete.

Danielle- did I read correctly, you've run back to back days?  Wow!  I'm impressed.

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• mkate48 Amateur 29 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    131. Apr 14, 2011 3:10 PM (in response to leslie142)

I've had to take 2 days off to work so will do W3D2 tonight.  I hope it goes as well as D1.  I hadn't looked ahead yet so...THANKS!!!  Now I'm freaked out again!!!  LOL  I will run tonight then Saturday and Sunday (W3D4).  I've been doing 4 days each week to possibly help the moving up process.  I will try W4D1 on Tuesday before I leave for AZ and if that doesn't go well then I will just repeat week 3 while I'm there because I know I can do that.  My friend only has and eliptical so I might have to improvise because I'm not really sure I want to be out running by myself in a strange city.  We'll see!

Hope everything is healing Monie!

Marcie  :~)

• MonieMc Pro 62 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    132. Apr 14, 2011 3:40 PM (in response to mkate48)

Dang, y'all are leavin me in the dust! lol I am so glad everyone is doing so well and not afraid to repeat as necessary.

I've been rather frustrated with my ankle. I didn't go for a run, rather I ran in place for a minute, then walked around the house, then ran in place for 90. I did that twice and felt a sharp pain my ankle want to give, so I stopped. Ankle is still dang sore. I can feel the excitement that I had start to wane...very frustrated right now. However, I won't let it get to me so much that it makes me quit. I'll keep at it, take it easy when I need to. I'll eventually finish this dang program, darn it!

Upcoming races:

Aug 13 - Warrior Dash

Sept 3 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon

Nov 12 - Qdoba 15K

Mar 30, 2011
    133. Apr 18, 2011 10:58 AM (in response to MonieMc)

W4D1, no problem!  I had no issues with breathing or pacing.  Ankles did hurt a bit, still have to look into different shoes.  BUT I think it went so well because I ran in an indoor track.  If I was doing it outside, I'm sure I would have been dying.  Running indoors or on a treadmill is cheating for me because I can run 3x longer.  Outdoors is a totally different story.  Hopefully, the weather gets better so I can test it out.  It's snowing again in Michigan!  How is everyone else doing?  I hope staying strong!

Mar 28, 2011
    134. Apr 18, 2011 6:11 PM (in response to hanjinyo)

I sympathize with your weather woes, hanjinyo… Spring weather in Wisconsin has not been cooperating with my C25K program either!  I did day 2 on Wednesday, and then not again until Sunday.  Both days went really good.  I planned on starting Week 4 tomorrow, but there is snow in the forecast.  When the sun came out tonight, I decided that I needed to get outside!

I did okay tonight – I’m sure that I was slower than usual, but I finished it without cheating.  My breathing does feel like it’s getting better.  My shins hurt a little tonight, but I’m sure it’s because I ran two days in a row.  I might wait for Thursday to do day 2 (looks like the next good day in the forecast and I don’t have an indoor place to run!).

Everyone else settling into week 4?   Marci?  Stephanie?  Danielle?  Monie, how is the ankle?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points