Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

23590 Views 167 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2011 10:02 PM by hanjinyo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next
  • edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    135. Apr 21, 2011 9:18 AM (in response to smarie24)
    Re: Starting C25K Monday 3/28/11

I'm here!  And yes, I was able to get W4D1 done today!!! Let me repeat, I did it W4D1 is done!  (Can you tell that I'm excited?)

Now let me go back a bit...things got hectic in our family last week.  I was supposed to do W3D3 on Friday- but it didn't happen.  It didn't hapen on saturday either.  Then on Sunday about 4:45 I told my husband that I was leaving.  (Great man - finished dinner for 12, set the table and vaccummed.) And I went out for what felt like and was a horrible run.  My legs felt like lead the entire time.  But I did it.

Here we are and juggling schedules pushed my week 4 day 1 to today Thursday.  But it felt good; no lead feet, but very slow and very erratic.  I have no rhythm.  If you check out my runkeeper from today - you can see that my walks and my runs have no pacing what so ever.  Pretty funny actually.  But I'm moving faster than the couch (although I did get passed by one- on a pick up truck) and I'm not cheating.  I even looked at my timer once with 90 seconds left in the final 5 minute run and said - ah only 90 seconds.

Looking forward to tackling day 2 on saturday.

http://runkeeper.com/user/72620102/activity/32558172

Happy running!

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• hanjinyo Amateur 18 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    136. Apr 22, 2011 10:17 AM (in response to edensacres)

Horrible!!!  Just got back from my last day for week 4 and couldn't even finish.  Day 1 and day 2 went great!  Had no problem with breathing, pacing, or energy so I wasn't too worried about today.  I didn't have a lot of energy this morning but I've had other days even worse but still pulled through.  So imagine my surprise that during the middle of my first run, I had to stop and throw up on the side of the road!!  I'm not sick, it just came suddenly.  Anyone else with a similar experience?  I wonder what it could be? 

Glad to see u back Eden!  I hope people aren't dropping off, there have been less and less posts.  HHHMMMM~~~~~

Jun 19, 2010
    137. Apr 22, 2011 11:29 AM (in response to hanjinyo)

Ugh.  That is horrible.  What a way to ruin a run.  I would consider that truely and off day.  Something obviously was not right.

So the question is, will you try to repeat day 3 (or do W4D4) or move on to week 5.  Based on your day 1 and 2, it sound like you will be fine moving on to week 5, once you are feeling better.  Hang in there, you are doing great! 

My W4D2 will be tomorrow (9am), if its raining it will be on the treadmill.  Hopefully it will be successful.  Having tried C25K 3 times, the furthest I've ever gone was W4D2 and it was a total failure.   My fingers are crossed for continued success.  I am looking at a local 5K memorial day weekend. 

Anyone else out there?

Stephanie/Eden

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

And the dream race...

• leslie142 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    138. Apr 23, 2011 7:32 PM (in response to edensacres)

I'm still hanging in here too!  The weather prevented me from getting out this week, but I finally did W4D2 tonight.  It went okay, but W4D1 was definitely easier.  If I'm feeling really good tomorrow, I might try to do day 3.  I want to be prepared to start week 5 by Tuesday.

Holy cow... I just realized that we're at the half way point!!

Jun 19, 2010
    139. Apr 25, 2011 5:18 AM (in response to smarie24)

I completed W4D2 on Saturday.First three runs went great.  Ok that's the rose colored glasses, actually  I completed them.  Then just before the last 5 minute run, the heavens opened up and we had a torrential downpour.  Its actually pretty funny, three cars - total strangers- pulled over and asked if I wanted a ride (you gotta love small towns.  Anyway, I didn't quit and just tried to enjoy the experience.  If nothing else I was proud of myself for not giving up and using the rain as an excuse. 

I'm supposed to do Day 3 today, but my work schedule has changed.  If I don't get it in today it will probably wait till thrusday.  12 hour days, with an hour commute each way scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Good luck and let me know how the Week 5 has gone!

Stephanie

Completed Races

And the dream race...

• Danielle46221 Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 31, 2011
    140. Apr 25, 2011 12:39 PM (in response to edensacres)

I've slacked on posting on this thread, but did successfully complete all W4 workouts. W4D3 was tough. I was feeling badly all week, not sure how I was able to do the workouts actually. Each day I was feeling worse, and finally went to the doc on Easter. Turns out I have a double ear infection and sinusitis. So I am resting today, and hope to get back to it in a couple of days. I am hoping I can just repeat W4 and keep going from there.

I am so glad so many of you are keeping up and staying the course.

Danielle

Mar 30, 2011
    141. Apr 25, 2011 2:08 PM (in response to Danielle46221)

I decided to try out W5D1 today, despite my total off day last week when I threw up on someone's lawn haha   I'm feeling decent about the runs overall, I'm definitely proud that I can run in 5 minute intervals now.  It's quite an improvement looking back now when I complained about running 1 minute in the first week.  SO HAPPY that everyone is sticking to it, despite sprained ankles and being sick.  Danielle I hope u get better soon!  We're halfway there!  It's amazing!!  I don't think I would've made it this far without you guys to share experiences with.   

I have to go through my playlist and download some new music since the runs are getting longer and tired of the ones I've been listening to.  Boredom is becoming an issue on the runs, I get ancey and keep looking at the time.  I try to keep my mind busy with random thoughts but... yeah.   Maybe I should try listening to an audio book versus music, so I'm forced to concentrate on the words to follow the story. 

Jun 19, 2010
    142. Apr 26, 2011 12:26 PM (in response to smarie24)

Way to go Hanjingo! 

I was able to complete W4D3 last night (as planned) on the treadmill.   My heartrate was pretty high 170's by the end of the last run - but it went down fast.  It felt pretty cool the first few minutes of each run - I had a nice pace going and it was almost natural, until minute 4 or 5.  But there was no cheating - and I didn't even have to talk myself out of cheating.  Progreess.

Now I'm looking forward to Week 5!  Holy Cow!!! Its a bear of a week (all three days increasing) - but I'm looking forward to the challenge.  I think I can do 3 5 minute runs.

I'm becoming a believer in the C25K program. 

Good luch and let me know how it goes.

Completed Races

And the dream race...

Jun 19, 2010
    143. Apr 26, 2011 12:29 PM (in response to smarie24)

One more thought...

What are some of your favorite tunes to listen to when running?

I'm finidng that the music I like to run to is different than what I want in the car (shorter songs and stronger/faster beats).

My tops: Mountain Music (Alabama)     Boom Boom Pow  & I gotta feeling (Black Eyed Peas)  So much to say (Dave Matthews)  Take a chance on me (Erasur4eS) Stayin Alive (Bee Gees)

Again, not my normal top choices but they are fun to run too.  Other ideas?

Stephanie

Completed Races

And the dream race...

Mar 31, 2011
    144. Apr 26, 2011 1:01 PM (in response to edensacres)

I like all kinds of music but mostly just Rock. I find Iike the more upbeat stuff when running.

Some of my favorites so far from my treadmill playlist include:

• Last Mile by Cinderella
    • Push It by Garbage
    • Toxic by Britney Spears
    • Panama by Van Halen
    • Never Again by Nickleback
    • It's My Life by No Doubt
    • Rocket by Def Leppard
    • Time for me to Fly by Reo Speedwagon
    • Animal by Neon Trees
    • Grenade by Bruno Mars
    • Blackout by Scorpions
    • Stronger by Kanye West
    • Paralyzer by Finger Eleven
    • Fantasy by Aldo Nova
    • My Paradise by the Outfield
    • Raise Your Glass by P!NK
    • Pain by Three Days Grace
    • Steady as She Goes by the Raconteurs
    • Pull Me Under by Dream Theater
  • leslie142 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    145. Apr 27, 2011 6:27 PM (in response to hanjinyo)

I have Sirius on my phone so I've been listening to that.  I need to create a playlist because I always end up listening to songs I don't care for and that's when I start counting my steps.  I've also thought about an audio book, but I couldn't find an easy way to get one on my phone (and I didn't invest much time looking into it).

I just got back from W5D1.  I got a late start to my week due to crummy weather.  Looks like Friday and Sunday should be nice so I can get back on the every other day pace.  I pigged out tonight on dinner and I regreted it during my run.  I'm hoping that I learned my lesson and don't do that again!!

Any one tackled W5D2 yet?  Up to 8 minutes!

Mar 30, 2011
    146. Apr 27, 2011 7:25 PM (in response to leslie142)

Thanks for listing songs you guys!  You made me remember some oldies but goodies like Erasure!  I'm going to try to dl everyone's recommendations..

My playlist sucks so its really not worth mentioning.  But I usually go for alt. rock like Black Keys, White Stripes, anything you could imagine yourself rocking air guitar to   And any booty club music.  I must set aside a night to download all of it... ugh. 

Did W5D2 today and the 8 minute intervals went great!  My pace is naturally increasing, there were no cramps or me gasping for air.  So I'm with you Eden, its PROGRESS!  But then again I ran inside so... hopefully the weather will be nice Friday so I can attempt the full 20 minutes outdoors.  Definitely must get my playlist in check before then!  

Anyone shedding pounds yet?  I've been eating too much to show any difference.  Leslie, I wouldn't feel bad, at least you're burning it back off!  And now that the runs are getting longer, our bodies need the extra calories anyway.

Mar 31, 2011
    147. Apr 28, 2011 2:13 PM (in response to hanjinyo)

I did W5D1 last night and was thinking of doing W5D2 tonight. The fact is jumps to 8 minutes then to 20 minutes in one week of training really scares me. I slowed down my pace to be able to handle W5D1 as it was becaue of dealing with the ear/sinus infections. All I can do is try and see how it goes. I was suprised how I did pretty well last night. Sweat like crazy, but not hurting today or anything.

My best purchase, besides new running shoes are the socks I just got at Blue Mile. They are compression socks for runners. They really have made a difference as far as how I feel and dealing with less swelling and improved circulation. They were $49 for the pair. But I have an old injury to my left foot that caused me permanent lymphedema. In fact, the sock have been so great that it's the first time I have seen my ankle bone on that foot for 6 years. After researching the topic of running with lymphedema (I didn't want to make it worse), I found running is actually helpful for the condition. I guess I am on the right path.

Thanks everyone again for your encouraging words and support!!

Danielle

Jun 19, 2010
    148. Apr 29, 2011 9:17 AM (in response to smarie24)

W5D1 was a success (Yesterday).  I felt like I was pushed but it as completely within my reach.  Tomorrow is Day 2.  Hoping for another confidence builder before Day 3.  How are you two (or three) remaining folks?

Stephanie

Completed Races

And the dream race...

Mar 31, 2011
    149. Apr 29, 2011 9:39 AM (in response to edensacres)

Survived W5D2 with no cheating. Was even doing ok at the end of the 2nd 8-min run. But had to keep a slower pace and am still not sure I am ready to try 20 minutes straight running with no walking. Has anyone else tried W5D3 yet??

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points