Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

23495 Views 167 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2011 10:02 PM by hanjinyo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next
  • hanjinyo Amateur 18 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    150. Apr 29, 2011 12:40 PM (in response to Danielle46221)
    Re: Starting C25K Monday 3/28/11

W5D3 COMPLETED!!!!  I did it I did it I did it!!! YAYAYYAY!!!

I still don't understand why the training has us going from 8 minutes to full 20 minutes.  And then back to intervals for W6.  But oh well, I finished the darn thing.  I really didn't think I was going to make it, even in the first minute I was telling myself that I'd run for 10, break, and do another 10 minutes.  Shame on me for giving up before even trying!  My pace was sloooow but I know that will improve with time.  Plus, the new music helped a ton!

I'm starting to incorporate the cardio workouts from P90X.  I think the Plyometrics will greatly increase my ability to breath and endure the longer runs.  My arm is still too weak to go back to any strength or core training, which stinks.  I go back abroad in a month and finally get to see my boyfriend whom I haven't seen for 5 months now.  I want to be the whole package!  Show him I was worth the wait haha   Sorry I went off on a tangent, I'm just thinking out loud. 

Good luck to you all who are about to do Day 3!  We're halfway to the end!

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    151. Apr 30, 2011 11:18 AM (in response to smarie24)

Way to go Hanjinyo!  You are an inspiration to me.  At times I hate being a day (or two behind) everyone else but other times its great knowing that you all have not only completed the next steps, your excitement of the accomplishment is inspiring as well.

As for why the heck do they have it set up so you do these long runs on Day 3 now, I can explain that.  If you look at any running program they select one day each week to be the "long run".  That way you  mix the strength and endurance aspects of running without necessarily putting massive mileage on your feet/knees (or something like that).

I did complete W5D2 today at abouot 12:15 in 65-70 weather (how nice).  It was a challenge, the first run especially.  Traditionally the first run is always crap (as my legs get going), the second run feels much more natural.  But looking at my runkeeper I guess it wasn't as bad as it feels.   Here is the link todays run:

http://community.active.com/post!reply.jspa?thread=146889

The only difference is that you can count 6 minutes as the warm up (I wait a minute before turning on the C25K program) and then a long walk at the end.

Leslie- How'd you do on Day 2?

Danielle - any success stories to share from Day 3?

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• Danielle46221 Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 31, 2011
    152. May 2, 2011 8:42 AM (in response to edensacres)

Way to go to everyone who has completed W5D3!!!

I got up yesterday and met my sister for a leisurely 4-mile walk in the local mall then went home and cleaned house. Had no intention of doing W5D3 yet. I had been psyching myself out. Anyway, after a light lunch and resting a bit, I thought what the heck and decided to see if I could make it through. I am so glad I did. It wasn't easy, but when I felt like I would stop I slow down a bit and then sped up again and never quit. I actually can say I felt better with the 20 minute run than I did with the first couple of 5 minute runs. Amazing!!

As for the 20 minutes straight, while tough, I also noticed that W6D1 actually has you run 21 minutes of the 31 total. I figure that they put it in the app for a reason, and not being a scientist or professional trainer, I am sure they know what they are doing. The anxiety of doing a 20 minute run was definately much worse than actually doing it. Thankfully!!

I notice my breathing is much better and I notice that this is both when working out and throughout the day both.

If you haven't tried W5D3 yet, just do it. If you don't make it, you will be better prepared for the next time and eventually it will happen. Like everyone says, better than being on the couch!

Now if I just wasn't so much more hungry...lol.

:-) Danielle

• leslie142 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    153. May 2, 2011 7:03 PM (in response to edensacres)

I'm so glad to hear that others have completed week 5!  The weather has delayed my runs this week... I just got around to W5D2 tonight!  It was tough, but I got through without cheating.  The five minutes of walking in between the runs seemed long and I was anxious to start the second 8 minute run.

My parents are giving me their old treadmill so I won't have a weather excuse anymore.  It will be here tomorrow night.  Just in time for W5D3 on Wednesday.

Good luck as you gals move into week 6.  I'm right behind you!!!

Jun 19, 2010
    154. May 3, 2011 6:09 AM (in response to smarie24)

Another Week 5 Day 3 20 minute success!  That's right, I did it. It was ugly and slow but I did it.  IMy average pace was about 14.43 min/mile.  I will admit I was terrified of the run.  I had to do it at 3:30 during my daughters gymnastics class so my route was kind of strange as I ran around a few apartment complexes and it was about 85 degrees (the hottest to date). I didn't enjoy ther route - it had too many turns and not enough long streches -but it served a purpose (get the run done and stay off the main road with no sidewalks). It was great having my app annouce you are half way done and hearing the runkeeper app announce the one mile marker.  And I only looked twice at the phone, once when it said 5 minutes left and once with one minute 30 seconds left - I counted everone of those seconds....On the postive side  I do think I was able to maintain a constant pace better than my previous runs. Normally, after my runs I feel really strong mentally an hour or two later.  That didn't happen this time.  Even today I'm struggleing to feel good about the accomplishment.  I almost want to repeat day 3 so I feel better about it.  That said, I will go on with Week 6 Day 1 on Wednesday.

Here is my runkeeper log:

http://runkeeper.com/user/72620102/activity/33957802

Has anyone signed up for their first 5K yet?  What are your target dates?  I was looking at memorial day weekend for mine, but knowing that I only ran about 1 1/4 miles in 20 minutes makes me question if this is too early (or just too embarrassingly slow) to do in public.

Hang in there Leslie, I'm happy to see you are still at it.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's week 6 success stories.

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

And the dream race...

• mkate48 Amateur 29 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    155. May 3, 2011 7:59 AM (in response to edensacres)

Sorry I haven't been posting.  I had really good intentions of running while on vacation but, alas, the pool and shopping won out!  No guilt here though.  I work alot so I deserved it!!!!  I ran the day I left (4/19) and not again until 4/28 then last night.  I've had some pretty unfortunate things going on in my life and just didn't have the mental capacity to care about running.  I ran outside last night for the first time and loved it!!!  Much better than the treadmill!! I'm repeating week 3 but after I did the program I did another run that was probably about 4.5 minutes so I'm feeling pretty confident about moving forward.  I will do week 3 again on Thursday unless I have a lot of energy then I will move on and start week 4.  I'm behind all of you but that's ok...I'm back on track and can still benefit from your comments!!  Runkeeper didn't work properly for me but I will figure that out.  I really don't think I'm running an 83 minute mile. 

Marcie  :~)

• leslie142 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    156. May 3, 2011 10:47 AM (in response to edensacres)

Stephanie, congratulations on getting through the 20 minutes!!  I don’t think that Memorial Day would be too soon for you to sign up for a 5K.  You’ll be done with the program by then and will be ready for it.  If nothing else, it will give you a baseline and a time to beat for your second 5K!

I’m in the process of signing up for my first 5K.  It’s not until August, but it sounds like it will be a lot of fun.  It’s called the Dirty Girl, and it’s a 5K mud run complete w/ 11 obstacles.   It’s for women only and they’ll be serving cosmos when you’re done.   Check it out… http://www.godirtygirl.com/

Welcome back Marcie.  Hope you had a wonderful vacation!!  My hubby and I are going to Savannah in May and I keep telling him how nice it will be to go running in the parks there.  In theory it sounds good, but I’m afraid that eating and shopping will get in the way! 

I'm ready for W5D3 tomorrow.  I’m nervous (but determined) to get through it.  It’s supposed to be sunny and 64 here… PERFECT!

Jun 19, 2010
    157. May 3, 2011 12:20 PM (in response to leslie142)

No more excuses!  How cool.  You gotta love hand me downs.  I was given a good point of advice a while ago...there is something about the momentum of a treadmill that makes it easier than running, but if you put it on an incline of 1 or 2, it will be the same as if you are running on a flat road.  I've been doing my runs on both the treadmill (incline 2.0) and the road and have had no problem going between the two.  Actually, my pace is faster on flat ground then the treadmill.

And hey, if you start if off from the beginning you'll never use it an incline below 2.0, you'll never know the difference.

Completed Races

And the dream race...

Mar 31, 2011
    158. May 3, 2011 1:03 PM (in response to edensacres)

Good advice about the incline. I wish I had done that...have to retrain myself to do that. I completed W6D1 today. Was pretty easy overall. Still sweating a lot, so i know it is a good workout.

Glad to see everyone keeping up the momentum!!!

Anyone else doing the mini marathon this weekend in Indy? I am, but am walking (might sneak in some jogging).

Danielle

Jun 19, 2010
    159. May 5, 2011 4:57 AM (in response to smarie24)

W6D1 Completed (last night on the treadmill).  Average run speed was about 13.30 with a 2.0 incline.  I thought it would be easier (eg -I wouldn't be looking at the clock) after the big 20 minute run, but I was still challenged.  If you look ahead (I think we can do that now) we are almost done with the intervals.  What a shame - I kind of like them. I am thinking of switching from a time based program to distance based since I run soooooooooo slow.  (With Runkeeper it will do all the work - just like the app). A frequent writer on another thread suggested I wait until I have a grip on the 25 minute or 30 minute runs and then see what that distance is and then go back to the distance I'm covering.and do the intervals (YEAH).

How you all doing?

Stephanie

Completed Races

And the dream race...

Mar 31, 2011
    160. May 9, 2011 8:27 AM (in response to edensacres)

Anyone else do the Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini Marathon saturday? I walked it, with a little jogging here and there. But my brother was with me and not ready even for the walking. I was doing fine with recovery and feeling great up until the point I bent my toes getting dressed yesterday. Was a stupid accident, caught my middle toe in a tear in my jeans. Now I think it may be broken. Anyone have any experience running on this sort of injury? I was up to w6d2 finshed and ready to do w6d3 upon a day or 2 off from the mini. Now I am worried I will lose all of my momentum. I haven't gone to the doctor because everyone says there is nothing you can do for a broken toe other than tape it up.  All of this is very frustrating.

Jun 19, 2010
    161. May 10, 2011 9:48 AM (in response to smarie24)

Danielle- how's the toe?  The advice you are getting is correct, based on personal experience.  If it makes you feel better you can tape the toe to one of the next toes - if it makes you feel better.

How's everyone else doing?

I am feeling so good today!  So let me start off by thanking all of  you. Now I believe I can do this.

So on to my joyful feelings...I took four  days (I think) off because of the sore hips and then went out for W6D2  (the two ten minute intervals).  After a few days rest I was ready to  conquer the world - or so I thought. So, I took a different route- it  ends up being just over a 5K and involves some hills - one of which I  consider a monster.  It was right at the beginning of the first run  interval - and I did it.  It took a full 5 minutes to get up that damn  thing but I did it and kept on running - slowly, but I was moving.  In  the end I completed the full two cycles and kept walking the rest of the  loop (and more hills) till I finished the 5K and was back at the car.   In the end it took me just over 47 minutes. I was happy- hoping for a 45  minute time, but with a flatter route I think I've got it covered.

Today-  I did W6D3 and did the 25 mintues without too much self doubting.  Ok  that's a lie, I was freaked out in the beginning convincing myself that  It was one foot and one minute at a time.  But once I was going it was  all decent.  I even managed to have a phone conversation with a  hysterical four year old (mine) and a dog that normally scares me to  death.  My confidence increased as time went on, remembering some of the  earlier runs counting mail boxes and seconds.  So that was a confidence  builder.  I got real excited when the runkeepr chimed in to day I was  at 10:20 second for my first ....kilometer (I actually had screwed up -  two times in a row), it was supposed to be miles,  so I was a little  slow, but ended averageing 13:20 min/mile.  Feeling good and looking  forward to stepping back in a few weeks and covering the C25K by  mileage.

Here's the runkeeper log: http://runkeeper.com/user/72620102/activity/34919081

Peace and happy running!

Stephanie

Completed Races

And the dream race...

Jun 19, 2010
    162. May 12, 2011 9:31 AM (in response to edensacres)

Had a crappy run today - but it was a run.  I didn't want to go out this morning and I guess the feeling carried over. Hours later I still feel crappy about it.  Trying to focus on the 25 minutes I did run and the dog that didn't bite me...

How are you all?

Stephanie

Completed Races

And the dream race...

• hanjinyo Amateur 18 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    163. May 12, 2011 9:59 AM (in response to edensacres)

Eden, It's awesome that you had a run over hilly terrain on your previous run!  But too bad for your crappy run.  I had a crappy run as well for my W7D1.  My runs have been up-and-down like yours.  I was just not in the mood to run but knowing that I had a busy weekend, I had to do it then to fit in the rest of the sessions for the week.  I was actually having trouble keeping my eyes open in the first 5 minutes, I was that sleepy and sluggish!  Unlike the previous 25 minute run, I had to stop a few times, but only for 30 seconds each.  Once after 15 minutes, and then like every single 1.5 minutes during the last 7 minutes of the run.  Felt like I was running sloppily.  

I'm starting to accept that all my runs can't be perfect, but do what you can.  I just keep reminding myself that once upon a time I used to be scared of 5 minutes and couldn't catch my breath.  But here I am doing around 20 mins.  And I know that if I keep at it, soon enough 25 minutes will be the norm and I'll be strugging for the 35-40 mark.  And you just keep working your way up the levels. 

I'm so happy that most of you are still working hard at the training.  Danielle so sorry to hear about your toe!  But I love how we still want to run, despite injuries and sickness, and not use them as easy excuses.  I think we're all developing that runner's love I hear about it.  I get upset if anything gets in the way of my run! 

Jun 19, 2010
    164. May 24, 2011 7:08 AM (in response to smarie24)

Just checking in with you all... I've had to slow down the frequency of my runs to avoid making some hip discomfort turn to pain - so  far its working.  Yesterday I completed W7D2 - another 25 minute run (with only about a minute of walking in the middle) but I felt good and kept walking and running to reach the full 5K in 45 minutes.

Saturday is the big day for me- my first 5K- hoping for a time at or under the 45 minute mark. (and no torrential downpour)     Then I'm going to back track in the program and start running for distance rather than time....

How are you all doing?

I know our postings have all decreased - so before everynoe turns off the email notification I want to say thank you!  Your support, "companionship" and honesty (we don't all succeed all the time) have been a tremendous help!

Peace!

Stephanie

Completed Races

And the dream race...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points