Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2830 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2011 1:15 PM by A Hockey Guy
CENICEPA Amateur 19 posts since
Dec 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2011 10:36 AM

Minutemen U18 Midget Major Information Session

Minutemen U18 Midget Major Head Coach Wally Muehlbronner will hold an information session on Tuesday, March 29th at Oaks Center Ice (upstairs meeting room).  The information session will begin at 7:45 PM and is open to any parents that have potential interest in our U18 Midget Major Program.  If you are not familiar with our programs structure please see our website www.valleyforgeminutemen.com <http://www.valleyforgeminutemen.com>  for complete details.  In short our intention is to build a competitive alternative Tier 1 “AAA” Midget Major Program for dedicated high school players ages 16-18.  We are seeking the very best area High School hockey players and encouraging them to continue to play for their respective schools by providing a Tier 1 Club structure that will help limit the HS/Tier 1 Club conflicts that currently exist.

Please note the Information Session will be held during a Pre Evaluation Skill Clinic for Midget Major/Minor players on March 29th.   Clinic runs from 7:15-8:30 PM.  $20 walk in fee.

• CIOPA Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 3, 2007
    1. Mar 28, 2011 12:56 PM (in response to CENICEPA)
    Re: Minutemen U18 Midget Major Information Session

Great idea.  It makes sense.

Mar 3, 2007
    2. Mar 29, 2011 7:34 AM (in response to CENICEPA)

>

Mar 3, 2007
    3. Mar 29, 2011 4:58 PM (in response to CENICEPA)

(

Mar 3, 2007
    4. Mar 31, 2011 4:27 AM (in response to CENICEPA)

<

• sql Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    5. Mar 31, 2011 5:51 AM (in response to CENICEPA)

How was the turnout for the information session?

• Icecobra97 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    7. Mar 31, 2011 6:38 PM (in response to CENICEPA)

Don't be fooled by the concept of "high school hockey friendly" here. Cheap program yes, but it'll be high school hockey friendly only if the kid plays for LaSalle & friendly to the LaSalle program, not the travel hockey program...

• A Hockey Guy Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 18, 2010
    9. Apr 1, 2011 7:21 AM (in response to CENICEPA)

I am all for a friendly high school hockey program so I like the idea. But most Tier 1 players are playing there for the exposure and don't mind missing 2-4 high school games a year. So in the long run is it really worth it to pay 2-4 grand less for that much less exposure.

Will all the practices be held at Oaks or will the rink change like in 2008?

That bronze medel team in 2008 was great but how many of those players jumped right into juniors directly from the MM program. I think 1 and he went straight to the USHL. Two of them played for a different local Tier 1 team the next year and one P.G.ed at Prep School.

• Cis4center Amateur 15 posts since
    Sep 28, 2005
    11. Apr 1, 2011 11:58 AM (in response to CENICEPA)

The top six teams in the Tier One Elite quit the league, major reason was travel, cost and the poor competition in the weaker dvisions (east and west). They got smart real quick and realized 15G for hockey is crazy..Look at the local 16u elite teams, neither team couldn't even make the atlantic district finals. I see a high attrition rate in the future. Save your cash and play for a another 16u/18u or a Jr team.

• A Hockey Guy Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 18, 2010
    12. Apr 1, 2011 1:15 PM (in response to Cis4center)

Actually the St Louis Jr Blues and Colorado Thunderbirds were top in the elite league. The teams from Chicago and Detroit left because they are actually in the backyards of NAHL and USHL team so they will get scouted without having to travel to the teams in the East. Despite the name the elite league doesn't mean the best players in a district or area like you said the two 16U elite teams didn't make the district finals. However I can assure you the 16U elite teams received far more exposure on a more regular basis than the two teams in the district finals. (Not to say the LF 16 team didn't receive any I know coach Dorman works very hard to play up in Boston as much as possible) So none of the players on the two elite teams are not nessessarly better but they were seen on a more regular basis, if they make it far in hockey its up to them.

The teams leaving the elite league does hurt it but it can also be a blessing. No need to travel to detroit twice and Chicago once this year. Outside of independent tournys those 6 teams will only be playing each other. So if a USHL/EJHL/D1 scout to go to an Elite Leauge "Super Showcase" (all the teams) to see teams from all over the country or go see the 3 teams from Chicago Area play 3 teams from Detroit area he is going to go to the Super showcase i think.

So the next complaint is price. With less showcases the price should be cheaper. If anyone paid 15K to play for one of the elite league showcases then they must have brought their entire family on the trip and stayed in first class hotels. The elite league gets discounting hotels since they book for all of the teams involved in the league. So the showcases you are driving to are Boston/New Hampshire area. I know the  18U elite teams flew 3 times and had 3 bus trips. Total travel cost for just the player (not parent as well) would be around 2,500 on of the around 6 grand tuition. That adds up to 8,500 dollars. Which is about the price of Jr hockey if i am not mistaken.

And the major reason the teams in the tier 1 elite league quit is that they are afraid to lose their status if/when USA hockey uses the ADM to decides which clubs get to play in their elite league.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...