Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

17891 Views 39 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2012 11:22 AM by bonz04 Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • ralbrecht Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. May 30, 2005 2:52 PM (in response to MurphyMel)
    Re: Foot Cramps in Pool

I used to get these occasionally but now I eat a banana in my oatmeal every morning and they seem to have gone away.  By the way, when eating bananas, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE SEED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BANANA - that's where most of the potassium is!

• ehureau Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    16. Jun 1, 2005 2:46 PM (in response to MurphyMel)

I just got back from the pool, where I experienced debilitating foot cramps AGAIN!  I take calcium and magnesium supplements, stretch & drink lots of water, but nothing seems to help.  I might try the Gatorade thing ...

One suggestion to those who suffer - when I get cramps, I swim with a flotation buoy between my legs and just work out my arms until the pain subsides.

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    17. Jun 9, 2005 10:14 AM (in response to MurphyMel)

Is that really true about the banana seed?  I've never heard that before.  Do you have a source on that?

• pangie82 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    18. Jul 5, 2005 1:23 PM (in response to MurphyMel)

While sitting, try schrunching your foot like you're going to pick something up with it. Once schrunched pull back. Open toes, move forward and repeat.

This foot strenghting exercise helps me.

• SmartBlonde Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    19. Oct 2, 2005 2:23 PM (in response to MurphyMel)

Hi! I am probably too late for this forum, and hopefully you have already managed to releive your cramps.  I have horrible cramps also, and feel really defeated when I have to hop out of the pool to releive them. 

One thing that I have found that helps a little is to give them a really good stretch and massage before getting into the pool.  Make sure you get right into the arch and really stretch your feet and the arch until it hurts.  Try and do it for 10-15 minutes before getting in.  It sounds like a nuisance, but I usually do it while my husband drives to the pool.  I have used this technique for the last few months and have been managing to swim 2km without cramps.  I know when I have not done a good enough job, as after 30-40 mins I will the dreaded cramps come.  Maybe this with the gatorade and bananas will be enough to get you through!

• lisaearle Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    20. Jan 14, 2006 7:26 PM (in response to MurphyMel)

I am not a swimmer but I am experiencing severe foot cramps wakening me from sound sleeps. The cramping I speak of is on TOP of the foot, not the arches. This has been going on every night for approximately 1 month. I do walk in heels at work, and have just started working. This could be a change to my muscles.

My inquiry; as I Googled foot cramps, is is this actually a foot cramp that I speak of. I would actually hope that this can be cured with potassium and magnesium?

A side bar: I had to stop doing squats as exercise because it caused calf cramping.

Thanks in advance.

L

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    21. Jan 16, 2006 7:10 AM (in response to MurphyMel)

If you are getting these cramps consistently without working out, I would say you are deficient in one or more areas.  It could be an electrolyte.  It could be hydration.  It could be something else.  The first thing I would do is call a doctor because something isn't right.

• lynsiewebb Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    22. Jan 16, 2006 1:58 PM (in response to MurphyMel)

OK, I have em too and a good friend of mine insists that they are caused by pointing your toes during swimming. This makes sense since it keeps those muscles flexed. I was in ballet for 9 and 1/2 years prior to jumping into the pool and everything I do involves a pointed toe and "ballet hands" if you danced you'll know what I mean. It is very hard for me to get away from this habit. Anyways I have noticed a dramatic difference in the amount and intesity of my foot and calve cramping when I simply make an effort not to point my feet. Hope that helps.

• Doris J48 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    23. Jun 3, 2006 8:59 AM (in response to MurphyMel)

Lack of salt can be a cause of cramp.

I don't suffer myself (I consider myself very lucky), but my husband does.  Hes not a distance swimmer, but finds that a cold pool tends to bring it on, and then he just can't shift it, and ends up getting out halfway through.

The problem is, some pools are colder than others, and if you are a bit seceptiple to it, if you are cold, you are more likely to get it.

• kidzwriter Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    24. Jul 4, 2006 3:33 PM (in response to MurphyMel)

I, too, get foot cramps when I'm swimming.In particular, the tendon in my right foot that bends the second toe draws in tightly and my toe bends very painfully. I get more than enough potassium, even take supplements. I'm not sure about the sodium. But does anyone have any other idea for this particular type of cramp?

• ericsson2416 Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    25. Jul 6, 2006 8:41 AM (in response to MurphyMel)

Foot cramps ? nasty! I?ve been a runner for years and never had cramping problems until I started swimming for Triathlons. It seems my cramps were the result of pushing off of the pool floor or wall at the turn of each lap.

In the open water I can swim for an hour with no problems but only make about 20 minutes in a pool before cramps start in my arch. Suggestion: try some swimming in open water for 30 minutes to see if it is the swimming or the wall (stay close to shore in case you cramp!). 

I now do a ?turn-around? in the pool using only my arms and heal to push off. I don?t glide as far from the wall and it takes some effort to get going each time but I swam for 40 minutes yesterday in the pool without cramps. Good luck.

• lynnjude Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    26. Jul 18, 2006 2:17 PM (in response to MurphyMel)

Exercises for foot strengthing can be as simple as Scrunching a towel with your toes.  Most competitive swimmers have weak ankles because of the constant water pressure on thier feet from kicking. 

Active stretching try rolling your foot over a tennis ball toe to heel, does it feel good keep at it for a few minutes a day until it does nothing.  Move on to a golf ball, remember to roll your foot lightly over ball don't push to hard.

Next the guy who can no longer swim do to cramping see a very good board certified orthopod specializing in feet and ankles, maybe you have another underlying condition ie plantar fas.  No reason to stay out of the water with so many great doctors around.  If you can't find one locally look out of state or in a large city where there is a pro team . 

To much stretching can tire the muscles so take it easy on your feet, don't forget to ice after practice i know the pain it causes bites but, after a few days of iceing your nerve endings gat use to it.  good luck and i am not in the medical field i just know this stuff from all my swimming injuries.

• ktpage27 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    27. Jul 19, 2006 1:57 PM (in response to MurphyMel)

I too get these cramps described by Kidzwriter. I have infact just come back from the gym after doing Aqua Aerobics and I was in so much pain afterwards in the car park I didn't think I'd be able to drive home. My whole foot locked, my second toe bent in towards my third toe and my arches were killing me.

This same pain also occured when I was scuba diving, think it was something to do with the angle my foot was in the fins at some point on the dive, this was particularly dangerous underwater.

I am sure that my potassium and sodium levels are fine but think I'll try those exercises mentioned. Not sure what to do. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, katie

• zaffinator Pro 123 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    28. Jul 19, 2006 2:29 PM (in response to MurphyMel)

well, I've been swimming my whole life and I can't say that I've experienced foot cramps, but I would tend to think it is due to having overly tight calf muscles. one thing that may relieve this is to use a foam roller on your calf, and even work on quads and hamstrings with the roller as well. or you could try massage therapy (from a sports-minded therapist).

hope this is helpful, tho I don't have personal experience with it.

• ericbergin Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    29. Aug 2, 2006 6:42 AM (in response to MurphyMel)

someone told me not to point my toes as much ....it helped

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...