Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

704 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2011 11:37 PM by thedevotedrunner RSS
butlel2 Expert 40 posts since
Oct 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 29, 2011 7:10 PM

How do you transition from biking to running in a Tri or Duathlon?

I've been running for years and have also started riding bikes long distances.  So far this year I've ran 12 races and am getting ready to bring biking back into my routine and work my way up to a triathlon.  On a few occasions I've ridden the bike on mid-range distances (35 - 40 miles) and have tried to run just after getting off the bike.  As I start to run I realize my legs feel like wet noodles and I'm certain my running form is off.  How do you transition smoothly from biking to running without risking injury or loosing momentum?

• WayneSxc Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008

Practice, practice, practice! That being said as I very in to triathlon in the early years form mid 80's to 2002 and from someone who raced a lot including 5 Ironmans it's just something you get better at over time. That being said here is a good strategy that worked for me.

1. Push an easy gear for the last 5 to 10 minutes of the bike.

2. The last minute or 2 just spin easy. (Flush all that acid buildup out of your legs) Any time you loose you will make up for on the run.

3. Go easy the first minute or so out of transition, drink some water, have a snack. Let your legs get loose and used to the run.

4. After a minute or so just build up to race pace, it may take a while. 5 minutes or so to feel good.

I would always include at least 1 or 2 "brick" workouts every week. We all have strengths, train your weaknesses. I still try to do a brick a week mostly off the mountain bike, but it keeps you fit.

Good luck with it and have fun.

WayneS X-C

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009

I'm not a tri-athlete, but I play one on TV.  Hehe.  Just kidding.

Actually, I am NOT a triathlete, but I have many podcasting friends who are.  What I have heard is that EVERY time that you finish a bike ride, finish it off with a run of no less than 1 mile.  The more you do it, the easier it becomes.  The other suggestions in the previous post also sound very wise, but this little trick is very valuable from what I understand.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points