Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1858 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2011 3:04 PM by how2runfast RSS
RunningBurge Rookie 6 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 30, 2011 8:25 AM

Suggested Mile Repeat Times?

Hey All,

My goal is to get down to a 18:45 5k.  My last 5K, last flal, was 20:30.  Before you scoff and say impossible, I've responded fantastically to training, my base over the winter was typically 20-30 mpw (injured) and for the past month, my average has been around 45 MPW.

My typical week consists of 2 speed workouts, 3 in betweens, and a long run (about 14miles).  One of my speed workouts is a 'peppy' 10k, which last week, on modest effort, did a 41:45.  I'm also doing mile repeats, 2 1-mile repeats two days before.  Last week, I was able to do a 6min flat, and a 6:22.  I'm trying to get that down, should I focus on trying to even them out at like a 6:05, or continue what I'm doing?  Also, i've been putting two miles in between them, should I lower that down to just one?

Thanks!

-Burge

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,313 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Mar 30, 2011 12:01 PM (in response to RunningBurge)
    Re: Suggested Mile Repeat Times?

I would suggest that repeats of 200, 400 and maybe 600 meters are much more appropriate for 5K training than mile repeats.  (Even if you're doing mile repeats, the recovery interval shouldn't be 2 miles.  Probably more like 3 or 4 minutes.)  Take a look at this "Advanced" 5K training plan from Hal Higdon.

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Kadv.htm

This is closer to the training you should be doing.  The 10K you did sounds close to a typical tempo run.  This plan seems to peak around 35 miles per week.  You're doing more than that, which is OK, as long as you're careful to get enough rest/recovery time.  Good luck.

Len

Len

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    2. Apr 1, 2011 8:12 PM (in response to RunningBurge)

I agree with Len.  Most experts, like Jack Daniels, tell you to keep the duration of your intervals to less than 5 minutes.

I would do somewhat longer intervals than Len recommended.

Try 6 x 800 @ 2:45 with a 2:00 rest interval,  5 x 1000 @ 3:40 w/ 3:00 rest interval, or 4 x 1200 @ 4:20 w/ 4:00 rest interval.

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• Chase Kerlin Expert 39 posts since
    Apr 20, 2008
    3. Apr 5, 2011 6:42 PM (in response to RunningBurge)

Im a 1200 meter man myself : )  The lactic acid build up that happens from the 800-1200 meter mark will make significant improvements to your 5k times.  I have put together quite a few workouts on my website including some from the Nike Pro Team that one of my buddies runs for:

http://eliterunnersworld.com/runningworkouts

Visit my website http://www.eliterunnersworld.com for the latest in gear, workouts, and injury advice all for free!

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    5. Apr 7, 2011 3:04 PM (in response to RunningBurge)

No need to stop running interval workouts because you are training for a marathon.  I've used 5 x 1000 intervals in training for all my marathons. Most marathon training plans, beyond the beginner level, include at least one interval workout a week.  You can do the long runs on the weekend and the interval workouts during the week.

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• statechamp2010 Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 7, 2011
    6. Apr 7, 2011 3:28 PM (in response to RunningBurge)

no i would keep with the 2 miles in between the mile repeats thats adding endurance but make sure to take your rest you want to be able to work them all hard if you keep what your doing youll see a difference and start to improve you just gotta push yourself never say its too hard youll run a 18:45 just last year i was running 21's now i run a 18:48 3 months agoand havent ran one since you can do it for your repeats i would try to start out with a 6:05 even for both but then when it starts to seem to easy push yourself and lower the time. Your second should be faster than your first.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...