Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2443 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2011 3:36 PM by eewdad RSS
Noelle80 Rookie 4 posts since
Mar 30, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 30, 2011 2:30 PM

Advice for 1st 5K??

I'm running my first 5k Saturday ~ Any advice?!?! 

Noelle ~ 30

Rockford, Illinois

• 5K ~ April 2, 2011 ~ 31:54
  • Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Mar 30, 2011 3:29 PM (in response to Noelle80)
    Re: Advice for 1st 5K??

Yes, have fun! Don't eat anything too heavy beforehand, show up a half hour to fourty five minutes before hand if you don't already have your bib, start running when the gun goes off and have a great time!

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    2. Mar 30, 2011 4:46 PM (in response to Basscycle)

In my first race I got caught up in the excitement and took off way too fast. I felt like I hit a wall in the middle of the race but garnered enough energy at the end to sprint to the finish.

You will do fine. Best of luck!!!-Bill

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Mar 30, 2011 6:26 PM (in response to Noelle80)

Dont drink a lot of coffee! the excitment will make you want to pee more (lol) eat a small banana or half. get thier 30 minutes before race time. small warm up and you are good to go! Have fun

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    4. Mar 30, 2011 11:20 PM (in response to Noelle80)

Do about a mile or so warm up first.  When you are out on your runs, you know how it always takes you between an half and a full mile for your lungs to get with it??? Same goes in a race.  Do some nice, EASY running for 7-10 minutes just prior to the race.  This will get your heart rate up and ready to go.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• TAWhit Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    5. Mar 31, 2011 6:15 AM (in response to Noelle80)

Try not to deviate to much from your normal training run routine.  If you stretch before a training run, do it before a race.  If you never stretch before training, the day of a race is a bad time to start.  Race day is also a bad day to try out new shorts, shoes, shirts, or anything else for that matter.  Go with what you know works, and have a good time.  Remember that the majority of what makes a race fun happens before the gun goes off and after you cross the finish line.

- Thomas

• trishaDW Amateur 32 posts since
    Mar 24, 2011
    6. Mar 31, 2011 6:41 AM (in response to TAWhit)

I read somewhere take a nice shower so you feel awake and ready to go. Wear some comfortable clothes. Get there early to reg and to not wear your tshirt they give you. lol Says it makes you look like a rookie. I tell you what Id be proud to be a rookie!

Like Nike says, JUST DO IT!

• eewdad Pro 61 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    7. Apr 1, 2011 1:40 PM (in response to Noelle80)

Great advice from all. From my limited experience, remember to run your race, to run your run. Don't try anything new and really...really...have lots of fun.  Good Luck!!!

• eewdad Pro 61 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    10. Apr 3, 2011 3:36 PM (in response to Noelle80)

Congrats Noelle!!!  That is a fantastic time.  You sound like you are hooked.  Trust me, it is addicting.  I ran two 5K's this weekend and have already signed up for two more next weekend.  When you get some of these under your hat, then come the 10K's, the trail races, 1/2 marathons...and so on.  Keep running and have fun.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points