Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2515 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2011 4:36 AM by MamaBear56
Pamcakes3 Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 30, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 30, 2011 11:31 PM

New Here - 1st Race EVER (5k) May 14th...

Hi Everyone!

I'm so excited to be a part of this community!  I'm 26, 5'5, 210lbs.  I've been overweight/obese my entire life.  I finally got tired of it August 2007 and lost 88.6lbs by April 2009.  During this time, I was eating better, working out, I ran my first ever consecutive mile and cried in joy.  I was up to jogging 2 miles at a time and had dreams of running a marathon - I was also dreaming about my wedding which was coming up that August and fueled my fire to burn 1000+ calories a day. 166 looked good on me - running felt GREAT.  However, after my wedding, infertility issues, my parents divorcing, an out of state move, and marital issues - I re-discovered the deep, dark comforts of "couch potato-ing", emotional eating, and complete lack of motivation for ANYTHING.

So, I'm forcing myself out of it.  I am no longer the woman that does this, I am the strong, confident woman with the world wrapped around my finger and I am more the capable of making this dream happen.  I will not become another statistic.  I will not become lazy, weak, or "unable".  I miss the woman I had a glimpse of and for the first time in my life, I finally felt like I knew who I was, what I wanted, where I was going, and how I was getting there.  Time to take my life back and I'm going to start with this 5k.  I registered today - I paid, I commited.  I will train, I wil jog, I will conquer and I will feel great, and that is were the power is to keep on going - so I will register for another race, and another, and another... and I will run my marathon one day - and then another one for the hell of it.

Thanks so much for reading this - it turned into more of a self motiation speach, but it felt great

Thanks for being here - I need this place - happy running!

In a world where you can be anything, BE YOURSELF.

Began C25K - March 31, 2011

#1 - 5k - May 14, 2011

• trishaDW Amateur 32 posts since
    Mar 24, 2011
    1. Mar 31, 2011 6:56 AM (in response to Pamcakes3)
    Re: New Here - 1st Race EVER (5k) May 14th...

Awesome! I love your attitude too. Life can so much get in the way of things. I too once ran, not much, but it was at least two miles then. Back in 06'. Like you life got in the way. I want some runners legs damnet. lol. Well just by reading your thread I know you will do this.. Good Job and keep us posted!

Like Nike says, JUST DO IT!

• Misfit1933 Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    2. Mar 31, 2011 7:17 AM (in response to Pamcakes3)

You GO girl!  Good for you for getting back out there!  I'm just starting to get back into running myself and have high hopes of running a marathon as well!  Good luck!

I LOVE your attitude!

"Don't compare yourself to others.  If you go out there and do your best, you've already won."

----------------------------------

Completed:

1/2 Marathon in '08 - 2:22:04
    5K in '09
    4 Miler 3-26-11 - 39:54

----------------------------------

Upcoming:

5K 4-3-11
    10K 5-7-11
    10K 6-5-11
    5K 7-4-11
    1/2 Marathon 9-3-11
    Wedding 9-17-11

Marathon TBA!

• M.J. in Springpatch Pro 154 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    3. Mar 31, 2011 8:50 AM (in response to Pamcakes3)

Sweet Mercy, girl!  You've inspired me!  After a not-so-great session this morning, I've been going over in my head why I ever signed up to do this, yadda, yadda, yadda.  But reading your post just now made me want to go back out and re-do today's workout and kick W3D3's a$$! 

I may have to print your post out and carry it with me to read during W5D3's run!

Pamcakes3 wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I'm so excited to be a part of this community!  I'm 26, 5'5, 210lbs.  I've been overweight/obese my entire life.  I finally got tired of it August 2007 and lost 88.6lbs by April 2009.  During this time, I was eating better, working out, I ran my first ever consecutive mile and cried in joy.  I was up to jogging 2 miles at a time and had dreams of running a marathon - I was also dreaming about my wedding which was coming up that August and fueled my fire to burn 1000+ calories a day. 166 looked good on me - running felt GREAT.  However, after my wedding, infertility issues, my parents divorcing, an out of state move, and marital issues - I re-discovered the deep, dark comforts of "couch potato-ing", emotional eating, and complete lack of motivation for ANYTHING.

So, I'm forcing myself out of it.  I am no longer the woman that does this, I am the strong, confident woman with the world wrapped around my finger and I am more the capable of making this dream happen.  I will not become another statistic.  I will not become lazy, weak, or "unable".  I miss the woman I had a glimpse of and for the first time in my life, I finally felt like I knew who I was, what I wanted, where I was going, and how I was getting there.  Time to take my life back and I'm going to start with this 5k.  I registered today - I paid, I commited.  I will train, I wil jog, I will conquer and I will feel great, and that is were the power is to keep on going - so I will register for another race, and another, and another... and I will run my marathon one day - and then another one for the hell of it.

Thanks so much for reading this - it turned into more of a self motiation speach, but it felt great

Thanks for being here - I need this place - happy running!!

As Stuart always says: Run Happy!

Started C25K: 3/13/11 Completed C25K: 5/12/11

FatAss 5K: 5/14/11

New Balance Girls on the Run Community 5K: 5/21/11

5th Annual MMC Burn Center 5K Run/Walk: 6/4/11

Women's Distance Festival 2-Miler: 7/9/11

Scheel's Inaugural 5K Run/Walk: 7/16/11

Red Ribbon 5-Mile Run: 10/22/11

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Apr 1, 2011 7:56 PM (in response to Pamcakes3)

Congrats for signing up and good luck on your journey

• MamaBear56 Pro 168 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    6. Apr 2, 2011 4:36 AM (in response to Pamcakes3)

Good for you and your great attitude.  At only 26 you have years to enjoy the benefits of the good decisions you are making today.  Go for it and keep letting us know how you are doing

Betty a.k.a. MamaBear56

Started running/walking program December 1, 2010

2/26/2011 Snow Joke HM 3:30:14

3/26/2011 Missoula Make A Wish Foundation 5k 38:00

4/17/2011 Rocky Mountain Bank Summit Classic 10K 1:22:41

5/21/11 - West Valley School 5K 46:00??? (I know I can do better)

5/22/11 - Weight Watchers 5K Walk (Completed with some jogging, untimed)

8/6/11 - Roodell Run 10K 1:18:49

10/2/11 - Fernie, BC HM 3:25:06

"Whether you think can or think you can't...you are correct." Henry Ford

"If you limit what you are willing to do, you limit what you can do." Anonymous

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...