Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1609 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2011 12:58 PM by NAddice RSS
NAddice Rookie 3 posts since
Apr 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 1, 2011 6:42 PM

Starting C25K on 4/11

Hello! I'm a complete newbie starting the C25K program on 4/11. I'm aiming to run my first 5K on July 9th. The only problem that I can forsee is that I have never enjoyed running before. I will be the first to admit that I'm also a little lazy. The tiniest thing can convince me not to go out and exercise. I think a virtual running partner might help but I definitely need motivation ideas! Is anyone else starting around the date that I am and looking for a partner? Any ideas on how to get motivated? Thanks!

• MonieMc Pro 62 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    1. Apr 2, 2011 8:54 AM (in response to NAddice)
    Re: Starting C25K on 4/11

What got me motivated to start and stay with this program is to register for races and get a couple of friends to run with me. So, get registered for a race or two and get some friends to run with you. You can do it. Instead of starting on the 11th. Start NOW! Go buy a good pair of running shoes. It makes a difference. I bought a pair, yesterday and it made a world of difference on my knees. You can do this!

Upcoming races:

Aug 13 - Warrior Dash

Sept 3 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon

Nov 12 - Qdoba 15K

Mar 22, 2011
    3. Apr 3, 2011 8:00 AM (in response to NAddice)

Good for you! Make sure to buy them at the end of the day, when your feet are swollen and spread out. Get the best pair of "running" shoes that you can afford. Most shoe stores, actually, have shoes labeled as to their purpose.

Good luck!

Upcoming races:

Aug 13 - Warrior Dash

Nov 12 - Qdoba 15K

• MaxingtonBear Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 3, 2011
    4. Apr 3, 2011 8:38 AM (in response to NAddice)

Hi!  I'm a complete newbie, too.  We actually sound the exact same!  The smallest thing can derail my motivtion & I totally sabotage myself.  I'm also a bit lazy & having a huge problem with energy & motivation.  Plus, I have an 11 month old & a 3 year old, so I honestly feel like I have no time- I still haven't figured out time management.

I got fitted & purchased my 1st pair of proper running shoes yesterday.  I've never ran before- in highschool, I was the annoying, lazy girl who refused to run the mile in gym.  I walked it.

I'm really hoping I make myself stick with this.  So far, I haven't been able to stick with anything.

Good luck to you!

Mar 22, 2011
    5. Apr 3, 2011 9:07 AM (in response to MaxingtonBear)

MB, what an awesome way to start! Way to jump right in and get running shoes! They truly make a world of difference. Sign up for a 5K in the fall. That should give you enough time, but not too much time, to train and get yourself ready. For me, if I plan too far ahead, I get tired and give up. My first 5K will be in august. Believe me, I am every bit the couch potato. However, I truly want to change that and ever bit you and I do will get us that much closer to our goals! You can do this!!!! If jogging for 60 seconds is too hard for you, right now, then drop back to 45 seconds. The point is to be at YOUR comfort level and build off of that. There is no point in pushing yourself to the point of burning out. When you're done with your session. You should be tired and even a tad sore, but you should also be feeling great and looking forward to the next session. Even if you can't complete an entire session (which I have yet to do) don't beat yourself up, because you re building muscles, burning fat and getting better!! Doing half a session at a slow pace is still WAY better than having your fanny stuck on the couch, on the road to nowheresville.

You can do this!! If you don't think you can, go over to the 200 lb club thread and read some of those stories. You will be inspired!!!

Upcoming races:

Aug 13 - Warrior Dash

Nov 12 - Qdoba 15K

Mar 22, 2011
    6. Apr 3, 2011 11:23 AM (in response to MonieMc)

Upcoming races:

Aug 13 - Warrior Dash

Nov 12 - Qdoba 15K

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points