Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8918 Views 68 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2011 12:16 PM by je110 RSS 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
NorCal02466 Amateur 28 posts since
Mar 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 3, 2011 2:09 PM

C25K started today April 3! Anybody else?

Hey all - I have been more or less "lurking" here for a couple of weeks, and today, we FINALLY have a nice sunny day and I just said to myself "if you'd gone when you started talking about it, you'd be done by now" (apologies to Nike) - SOooo - I just completed W1D1!  Not too bad...

I love the support I've seen here and am so happy to participate.

No runs registered yet, but soon...

NorCal02466

"And if you don't give up, and don't give in, you may just be OK"... Mike and the Mechanics

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" - Henry Ford

• ameeloo Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 1, 2011
    1. Apr 3, 2011 4:53 PM (in response to NorCal02466)
    Re: C25K started today April 3! Anybody else?

Hi NorCal!  I too started C25K today after finally deciding to do something about this "fed up with my weight and myself" feeling.  I turned 40 last summer and am now at an all-time high in the poundage department (no ... I can't tell you how much because I was certain my bathroom scale was a big, fat liar and I threw it out years ago ... I know ... Dumb!).   I haven't really exercised consistently for about ten years so I knew C25K would likely kick my butt.  Yep ... right on!  I jumped on the treadmill this afternoon and W1D1 about killed me.  I made it though (not without stopping a couple times) and I feel like I might actually be able to accomplish this. 

I have a good friend who did C25K (started shortly before Christmas) and just completed her first 5K yesterday!  Her success and encouragement will definitely help me stay motivated.  We're planning on doing a 5K together on June 25th!

Congrats on starting your C25K venture today too!

Tenacity is a pretty fair substitute for bravery.

"The next mile is the only one a person really has to make."

• Melbotoast Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 3, 2011
    2. Apr 3, 2011 5:17 PM (in response to NorCal02466)

I started yesterday! (April 2) It has been so cold/rainy/snowy lately so I'm glad the weather is finally getting better. I thought the run went pretty well. Do you listen to anything while you run? I downloaded the first Podrunner: Intervals track and really liked that.

• bethierun Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 3, 2011
    5. Apr 3, 2011 5:38 PM (in response to NorCal02466)

i started today as well!  tired of being over weight, out of shape, and tired.  i completed a half marathon (walking) about 3 years ago then stopped every form of physical activity.  for some reason, the running bug has invaded my head in the last few months.  after a string of snow days off from school, i decided on day to try running on a treadmill.  i actually found it invigorating!!!  heard about the couch-2-5K program and decided it was for me.  my friend and i decided to do it at the same time to encourage each other.

did better on w1d1 than i thought i might do.  i will admit, after a few cycles of running, i thought i wouldn't make it.  i pushed myself (something i don't do too often) and didn't give up or quit.  i completed today's training and feel amazing.  now, let's keep it going!!!   

• TexasPumpkin Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 4, 2011
    7. Apr 4, 2011 8:53 AM (in response to NorCal02466)

Hi!  I've kinda gone about this running deal backwards, but am starting the C25K tomorrow.  Mostly walked but ran some of my first 5k in December with my sis in law who is a long time runner.  Had so much fun did the same thing in January and a 2 miler last Saturday.  Problem is I can run further than I could when I started but want to get more consistant.  Now that the warmer weather is here, it will be much easier.

My next 5k is June 4th and my goal is to run the whole thing.  Even if it's at a snails pace!!

Apr 1, 2011
    8. Apr 4, 2011 3:29 PM (in response to NorCal02466)

After completing W1D1 yesterday afternoon, I thought I was going to be sore today ... simply based on how tired I felt after the lil' workout that nearly killed this beginner. Ha!  BUT, aside from a little tenderness in my mid-back and ribs when I take a deep breath, I feel pretty darn great!  I guess my mom has been right all along when she's said, "that which does not kill us, makes us stronger."  I can't wait until tomorrow morning to do W1D2!! 

• wiscgus Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 4, 2011
    9. Apr 4, 2011 5:36 PM (in response to NorCal02466)

started tonight  finished c25k a couple years ago.   West Central Wisconsin not the best place to run in the winter. hopefully will be able to stay on task.  about the fourth time i have started this program  so tonight was about what i expected. 

Apr 1, 2011
    10. Apr 4, 2011 5:46 PM (in response to wiscgus)

Congrats on starting again Wiscgus!  In SE MN here so definitely dealing with how winter is delaying its exit.  Grrrr!!  Had a great teaser over the weekend but back inside on the treadmill for tomorrow morning's W1D2.

• wiscgus Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 4, 2011
    11. Apr 4, 2011 5:49 PM (in response to ameeloo)

my usual place to run along river is not going to be accessible for awhile as it is under water.  Holy long winter huh, we were spitting snow this a.m.

Apr 1, 2011
    12. Apr 4, 2011 6:01 PM (in response to wiscgus)

Yup ... I hear ya.  Holy long winter and holy lots of water out of the river banks!  Here's to high, dry roads and warmish weather to do this lil' thing called C25K!

• MonieMc Pro 62 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    13. Apr 4, 2011 6:10 PM (in response to ameeloo)

I started last week - had a few set backs. The main one, because of excitement and weather, I did back to back days. I became overly fatigued and didn't finish W1D3. My body flat out refused. Do give your body a break for working hard. It deserves it.

One of the best things you can do is get a pair of good shoes designed specifically for running. Your feet, knees, hips will thank you.

Upcoming races:

Aug 13 - Warrior Dash

Sept 3 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon

Nov 12 - Qdoba 15K

• PJBE Pro 118 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    14. Apr 4, 2011 7:49 PM (in response to NorCal02466)

Me too! For what I think is the 4th time. I registered for a 5K in June today. W1D1 was easier this time.

Starting C25K (5th time's the charm)

Cave Spring Road Race, June 2012,planned

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...