Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1439 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2011 6:37 PM by flamomof3
woundedrunner Amateur 9 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 3, 2011 6:38 PM

How much water a day? (shoes ? also)

I know it depends on weight (I weight 175lbs at 6ft 1) and I'm in the process of trying to get back on track.  I still eat really badly (junkfood, fastfood, microwave food) because I tried to eat mroe healthy..but It felt as if my food bills went up double, sometimes tirple trying to eat better.  sorry, back on topic.

How much water is recommended for some1 my weight?  Just pure water or what about an additive?  Does adding Tea or something like MiO delute the water to the point that it's not good for you anymore?

I'm in the process of trying to get myself back on track (stretches, seeing a doctor for my knee) but I want to get on a good diet (that isn't expensive) along with tips of what to eat or drink after my run.  I read stretching BEFORE a run is bad?  false or true?

I also quit smoking, or trying to, it'll be one week tuesday since I've smoked.

Also I live in MO (64506) and can't seem to find a good local store for some shoes(by shoes I mean a store that will sit down and help me find the perfect shoes for my feet)  any tips?

Thanks!

(money is key to my diet as I bring in only $26k and feed a family of 4)

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    1. Apr 3, 2011 7:12 PM (in response to woundedrunner)
    Re: How much water a day? (shoes ? also)

I have been told by my chiropractor (who dabbles in nutrition and general wellness) that I should be drinking 1/2 my weight in ounces of water.  Currently, I'm at about the same weight you are, so I'm techinically supposed to be drinking about 85 ounces of water a day.  I'm sure that that's ideal, but I find it next to impossible.  I generally drink 60 ounces or so, and that's drinking a lot more than most people I know.  I believe that plain water is probably best, but I don't know that for sure.  Squeeze of lemon to make it more exciting?

Eating healthier is definitely more expensive.  Perhaps try just to sub in healthier alternatives when you can?  Cut back at least one or two of the fast food or microwave choices here and there?  Hopefully that would make it less overwhelming and less budget-busting.  Any little bit will help.  Once the weather warms up, farmer's markets may be a good option for you too.

I am totally a newbie-runner, but I haven't heard that stretching before running is bad.  I have heard that it is better to stretch warmed up muscles though.  What I've been doing is warming up for about five minutes first, then stretching, then doing the rest of the workout (I'm currently 1/3 of the way through Couch 2 5K).  Then I stretch again at the end.  I haven't had shin pain since I started doing that.  Here's the link to the stretches I've been doing:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

I found two places in Kansas City that look running-oriented-- is that too far?

http://www.sportsmedicinestore.com/index.htm

http://www.garrygribbles.com/

PS- congrats on making it almost a week smoke-free!

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Apr 3, 2011 7:18 PM (in response to woundedrunner)

Water - The best way to judge is to monitor your urine color.  It should be pale yellow, 24X7.  The exception would be right after a race or long run, but work to get it back as soon as possible.

Stretching before a run is not necessarily bad, if done carefully, but it is of doubtful value.  What's better is to do a good warmup, including dynamic exercises that work on range of motion.  For instance:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html

Food - I'm not really a good one to talk about this - I don't cook much.  Aim for a good, well rounded diet.  You're better off making/cooking your own meals, and it's usually cheaper.  Microwave meals and the like often cost more.

Shoes - Almost impossible to offer advice without knowing a whole lot about you and how you run.  Here are some basics:

http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-240-319-326-0,00.html

But this information has to be combined with a look at how you run, which you may be able to do by carefully watching your feet and listening to your legs and body while you run.  If you have a fairly well-worn pair of running shoes, the wear pattern on the sole can provide useful information.

Len

Len

• growlerius Pro 74 posts since
    Aug 15, 2009
    3. Apr 4, 2011 8:02 AM (in response to woundedrunner)

I second the advice about urine color...that's probably the best indicator.  I'm 6'1 and around 167, and I drink 80-90 oz per day, according to my Nalgene bottle.  The trick is to just get in the habit of drinking preventatively throughout the day without letting yourself feel thirsty.  By that point, you're already dehydrated.  I'm pretty sure black/green/white tea would work against you because of the caffeine, but I've heard that most herbal tea is basically the same as drinking pure water.

I'm with you on the food prices, and it doesn't seem like they'll get any better anytime soon.  My wife has done Weight Watchers for a while, and we've been using one of their 5 ingredients or less cookbooks; that seems to be keeping the cost down a bit.  For example, one of our favorite recipes includes:

-Boneless skinless chicken thighs (about $7.50)

-1/2 container cherry tomatoes ($1.50)

-12 green olives ($1.50)

-1 onion ($2)

-1/3 cup chicken broth (about $1)

-Black pepper

We usually steam or micro. some frozen broccoli on the side, which is $1/package.

Assuming you can save the remainder of the olives, broth and tomatoes, there's a complete dinner for $14.50, which is probably comparable or cheaper than fast food for a family of 4, right?  Of course, after that you have to worry about portions, but that's another story.  We've found low-ingredient cookbooks like these to be worthwhile investments in the long run.

Hope this helps some.

• Weigh yourself and write down or note your weight.

Take the number of pounds you weigh and multiply that by 2/3.

That is the number of ounces you should drink everyday.

For example, if you weight 150 pounds, two thirds of that is 100 and that is how many ounces you should drink daily.

Add 12 ounces of water for every 30 minutes you work out.

•  

hmmm?

• JasonFitz1 Legend 574 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    5. Apr 6, 2011 6:47 AM (in response to woundedrunner)

Counting your ounces of water will never work because it's not a sustainable strategy. Simply carry a bottle of water with you most of the day (keep it at your desk, in your car, or wherever you spend a lot of time) and sip it frequently. Coffee and tea don't dehydrate you, but the more caffeine a beverage has the less it contributes to your overall hydration level. Just monitor your urine color - pale yellow is ideal.

Regarding food, the best way to eat cheap is to eat simply. Buy whatever veggies are on sale, go for the meat specials, and avoid a lot of the processed foods that are really expensive.

Good luck,

- Jason.

Strength Running
  • flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Apr 6, 2011 6:37 PM (in response to JasonFitz1)

I second what jason just said

• More Like This

• Retrieving data ...