Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

890 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 9, 2011 3:53 PM by Chase Kerlin RSS
skydivenchick Rookie 5 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 6, 2011 5:49 AM

Training recommendations

I began running last year and did the C25K program for 3 months, then ran two 5K's (slowly).  Life got a little wonky and I ended up not running much after June. I got back into it in January again and run 3-4x a week, with weight training in between (I usually do a mile warm up before weight training on those days).  I can run 5 mi. at this point without walking, but am more of a jogger than runner.

Here's my question.  I would like to get faster and be able to go further.  After trying to do both at the same time (dumb, I know) and getting shin splints, I'm going to be more patient.  I did the Bridge to 10K thing (although I'm so slow I never actually got to 6 mi), then switched to Hal Higdon's intermediate 5K program, which is when I got the splints. I didn't stop running, just slowed down and backed off a little then babied them after and they are 90% better.

My fastest pace is 11:33 min/mile when I do 3-4 mi runs.  I go a little slower, closer to 12:00, when going 5 mi.  I bought a book called 'Run Less, Run Faster' thinking it would have some good plans, but even the pace recommendations for 5k training don't go below a 5K in 30 mins, which I can't do yet.  So I'm wondering if that needs to be the first step before I start adding distance?  Can anyone recommend a good training program?

Thanks so much!

Pam

• Chase Kerlin Expert 39 posts since
    Apr 20, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 9, 2011 3:53 PM (in response to skydivenchick)
    Re: Training recommendations

one of the things that new runners arent very carefel about due to lack of teaching is running form. new runners get up and start running and havent ever been shown anything about form which is the cause of a lot of injuries in addition to slower times. look at my website at www.eliterunnersworld.com/tarahumararunning for a brief description of pose running. as far as the workouts i would suggest mixing it up with a max of 1 speed workout a week, 2-3 long runs, 1-2 tempo runs. u can see examples of each of these as well on my site.

Visit my website http://www.eliterunnersworld.com for the latest in gear, workouts, and injury advice all for free!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...