Skip navigation

8390 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2011 1:56 PM by Aprilfool79 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
notsodeadly Amateur 15 posts since
Jun 8, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 7, 2011 8:40 AM

MP3 player enforcement during 70.3

I am about to do my first Ironman 70.3 and would like to use my mp3 player, however I know that it is illegal per USAT rules and not the safest for biking.  But I have been to several races that it was "illegal" and not enforced for people that weren't "competing".  What has been your experience?  I would like to use a mp3 for the run but dont want to get DQ'ed and not get a time.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Apr 7, 2011 10:36 AM (in response to notsodeadly)
    Re: MP3 player enforcement during 70.3

yes they enforce the rule.  if you can handle doing a 70.3 you can handle runnning w/o a mp3player. good luck and have fun

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• honguito Pro 135 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007
    2. Apr 7, 2011 12:51 PM (in response to notsodeadly)

I also recommend you to do it without the mp3 player. Have you never experienced to change into a deeper level of subconsciousness on your long runs ? With the music on you never will have that special feeling ....

Enjoy the race and good luck

Gunter

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    3. Apr 7, 2011 7:55 PM (in response to notsodeadly)

Hey notsodeadly,

No matter what you decide regarding the music, I hope you have a great race experience & that you'll remember to update us sometime post-race!

1st 70.3!!!! VERY exciting!

You could sing outloud or in your mind during challenging times?

Enjoy!

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    4. Apr 8, 2011 9:21 AM (in response to notsodeadly)

I actually disagree with the USAT rule which penalizes use of mp3s and the like with a time penalty. I think all athletes using headphones should not only be DQ'd but removed from the course. It is a HUGE safety issue on the bike and outright cheating, in my opinion, on the run. I even saw someone using a waterproof case for an iPod during the swim. I can program an MP3 with tunes at a certain beat that translates into cadence and go much faster than the two minute time penalty, particularly on longer distances. Learn to run and pace without this crutch and you will also enjoy and be more aware of your surroundings.

Your opinion may vary...

BT

• Cavvie Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    5. May 19, 2011 2:18 PM (in response to notsodeadly)

I am not sure where you are thinking  of racing and wanting to use the IPOD, but I think it is dangerous also when someone is telling you they want to pass you and you cannot hear them on the bike leg at least. In the water here in Kona, at certain times of the year you can listen to the whales sing as you swim and that is far better than any waterproof Mp3 player

Cavvie Cavanaugh

• mallard44 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 31, 2011
    6. May 19, 2011 10:42 PM (in response to notsodeadly)

I see some of you made comments regarding safety on the bike, and I agree wholeheartedly.  But the question was regarding the run, and I'm sorry but the same safety considerations may or may not exist depending on the course.  On a closed run course I can't possibly imagine a safety concern. Yes, I realize some of you may break in a 7, 8, or 9mph run collision.....oh, the horror!!!  That being said, I wouldn't personally do it, because I like to hear all that is going on during a race.  BUT, I sure do enjoy it during training and can certainly understand why you would want to wear it. Cavvie.....if I hear the whales while I'm running, I'm going to find somethig else to do with my time. Honguito....relax, it's triathlon, not meditation. I do alot of long runs, mostly my subconscious mind would like something to drink. I never thought of being thirsty as special.  Look, the guy said he's not "competing".....there are certainly many races and circumstances where an MP3 player wouldn't hurt anyone.  If you don't think so you haven't been in many races.  It's triathlon, have fun!!!  Not everyone who does these things is a crazy as the rest of us.

Jul 9, 2007
    7. May 20, 2011 6:07 AM (in response to mallard44)

actually the question was if they enforce the rule. they do. it's a dumb penalty to pick up and you really don't NEEd the ipod so leave it at home and have a great time! have fun kids!

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

• mallard44 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 31, 2011
    8. May 20, 2011 8:59 AM (in response to Joe_h1)

There must be different "enforcers" for the races you run.  This will be my 26th season of triathlon.....if I had to guess, I'd say I see that rule enforced about 70% of the time.  Again, it's unbelievably dangerous on the bike....not dangerous at all on a run course with only runners.

• quadzilla1 Expert 39 posts since
    May 30, 2010
    9. May 22, 2011 11:07 AM (in response to mallard44)

I would never run the risk of getting DQ'd for wearing an mp3 player while racing! After training for so long and hard and all of the sacrifices you make to then get disqualified for listening to music, never for me!!! I will run with one on occasion but for the most part train without one. The biggest reason for me is safety.

Sport Packs members get Sports Drinks, Protein Bars and Energy Bars at huge discounts!

• thebrackens Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 1, 2008
    10. May 25, 2011 6:46 AM (in response to notsodeadly)

Head phones are banned, not the MP3 players.   Headphones cause the safety issue on the bike and run(??), and can impede medical attention if you need it.  but if the tunes keep you moving forward, and keep you motivated - when whale calls and Zen like inner peace trips aren't available, use tunes to your advantage.

you can buy inexpensive EXTERNAL speakers for the mp3 or Ipod players.  My wife puts the the speaker in a zip-lock bag and tucks it in her top.  I have mine on an armband.  Sure you music is no longer personal and I do get a few weird looks when "material girl" comes up on the play list, but I quickly scramble and hit next song button.

even found bike speakers -  think the company is called bikco or something like that,-- that had speakers that fit right under the arm pads on our aero bars.  Again it wasn't personal nor blaring loud, they did play the tunes to keep you moving!!.  I did see someone that had speakers on the back of their helmet.

don't break the rules or try and hide headphones.  but don't limit your enjoyment or ability to carry a tune, just be prepared to share it - And perhaps pre screen the music on your play-list or expect some funny looks.

Jul 9, 2007
    12. May 25, 2011 10:04 AM (in response to thebrackens)

not to beat a dead horse but no you can't ride/run w/ a boom box

http://assets.usoc.org/assets/documents/attached_file/filename/9319/2009_USAT_Competitive_Rules.pdf

3.4 Race Conduct.

All participants in USA Triathlon sanctioned events must adhere to the rules in this Section 3.4:

i.

Unauthorized Accessories. No participant shall, at any time during the event, use or wear a hard cast, headset,

radio, personal audio device, or any other item deemed dangerous by the Head Referee. Any violation of this

Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

congratulations on toughing it out on your half! you earned taht sticker

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    13. Jun 1, 2011 11:27 AM (in response to notsodeadly)

I try not to train with music so I don't miss it when I'm racing.  I do have a few songs memorized that I can sing along the way if I'm bored and really need some tunes.  Although that probably makes the people around me go faster to escape my awful singing!  It helps to have a favorite "mantra" to recite when the going gets tough (you can't, you won't, you stop from the Beastie Boys) or talk to the people around you. On the bike be the person that tells everyone they're looking good.  On the run, you sometimes have a chance to hear someone's story and there are truly some amazing stories out there.  Enjoy the experience!

• 3jay0 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 1, 2011
    14. Jun 1, 2011 11:36 AM (in response to Joe_h1)

joe,

i bet the dead horse is more fun to be around than you............take a deep breath and lighten up.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...