Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

875 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2011 11:53 AM by pamburrus RSS
pamburrus Pro 136 posts since
May 14, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 7, 2011 9:28 AM

How to train with a heart rate monitor- need help!

I've had a heart rate monitor for 3 years but dont really know how to use it the way it's intended.   I keep an eye on my heart rate, and based on my calculations I try to stay in my zone - but I dont really know what I'm doing...

Yesterday I went out and ran 4.6mi - set my max heart rate (not really my MAX but what I didn't want to go over) and the min... whenever it would beep I would slow down and I felt FANTASTIC after the run.  I have a tendency to push too hard sometimes so it was a great visual (and audible) way to see.... but with that - I dont really know at what percentage of my max I should set as my high zone.  I was just kinda going off a heart rate that made me feel like I was really working.

I started a running club for moms and would LOVE to tell people how to train with one - but dont know what I'm talking about (so hoping to learn in the process too....)   would anyone like to contribute some information to my blog post??  Or tell me if what I'm doing is right??  I've seen a few different calculations on finding max heart rate and then they say to train at 80% of that - does that sound right??

Seems like there is a lot of info out there but none of it really matches up

Thanks so much to anyone that can help me (and my blog post for other moms!!)

Pam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PR's (post kid haha)

Beat the Street for Little Feet 5k: 26:34

Big Peach Sizzler 10K: 52:21

Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon: 1:55:02 (first and only other than one that I ran with a friend to pace her)

Soldier Marathon: 4:09:16 (first and only so far...)

Check our our nation-wide running group for moms!

www.momsrunthistown.com or https://www.facebook.com/momsrunthistown

Moms RUN This Town (MRTT) is a 'moms only' running club started by moms.... for moms... to support moms in their running endeavors.

Our goal is to help to keep you motivated no matter where you are in your running - whether starting the c25k program or training for a marathon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...