Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1102 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2011 6:05 PM by SlowlyTrying RSS
Herndor Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 9, 2011 5:27 AM

Tight Calves

I get really tight calves when I run or try to walk fast. Is this because Im doing it incorrectly or because my muscles simply arent long enough. If its because of my muscle lenghth, any good ideas on how to get them where they need to be.

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    1. Apr 9, 2011 11:21 AM (in response to Herndor)
    Re: Tight Calves

Unless you are running on your toes all the time or pushing off very strongly with your toes, you probably aren't "running wrong".  You may need to stretch and strengthen your calves a bit.

Try the exercises in this post:

Calf Exercises to Build Speed and Prevent Injuries

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• SlowlyTrying Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    2. Apr 9, 2011 6:05 PM (in response to Herndor)
    Re: Tight Calves

I had the exact same problem.  Casual walking, fine.  Fast walking, hiking, or jogging/running, painful.  I alleviated a lot of my pain by doing three things:  (1) do a long warm up and then stretching, (2) landing mid-foot when running, and (3) stretching after cool down.  The change in running form made a huge difference.  I was gettiing very discouraged and demoralized with the amount of pain I was feeling when I first started C25K.  I started reading about running form and watching youtube videos.  Then I adjusted my form and slowly, the pain went away.  Good luck!

Angel from CA

I might be slow but I'm tryin'

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points